Reputation Part 2 - Post Reputation Issues Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
(Note this is MY view and not the official view of any others until you see them post it themselves. After this post I will please ask for all posts after this to be about rep ISSUES, not discussion.)

Rep, to me, is really not a "Fun" feature. It is more of a system here at TheHelper, useful in some ways and not so useful in others.

You see, rep is not a neccessity. It never will be, and Custom Titles aren't worth lowering yourself to a rep-addict.

My thought on it, is that it is keeps members in line, though has a minor downfall. Many members won't flame for being afraid to get -repped, as if it's the boogey-man. The boogey-man is scary, -rep is not. Though, some people out there just don't get that...

The downfall of rep is that some people find it addicting. During my first month or two here, reo meant somethingf big to me. Though it did eventually dawn on me that it means nothing. It does NOT earn you respect, does NOT make you happier. It is like a drug, it gets you un a "High", then when that feeling wears away, you are in a low, and feel like you need more.

And with that addiction, comes spam. Some members figure that the more they post, the more posts for people to +rep them for. But in reality, I see it as a stupid reason to post. You should post like you talk in real life, to have a real discussion in a online community we have learned to love, or to have fun, or help others. Even ask for help if you need it. I don't get it when people post for rep or post count.

This is the reason some people spam.

On the topic of spam, it brings me to -repping. To me, -repping balances out TH. If people didn't -rep, when the cause is just, people wouldn't be afraid of anything other than Mods and Admins, which they shouldn't be AFRAID of in the first place ;) (Though they should respect them)

I personally -rep people when they make stupid posts, flame, or disrespect others. Disrespect is a big issue with some members.

As for +repping, I find you should give it out as:

-A sign of Respect
-Thanking someone for helping you out WITHOUT asking for anything in return. If someone ASKS for rep, don't give it to them :eek:
-Showing your appreciation to those of yours that are great friends and have helped you through thick and thin, without asking for anything in return. Such friends also fall in "A sign of Respect".

But those are just my thoughts. Rep is nothing to addict yourself over, and never should be.

Sorry, again, for this odd post. Just wanted to get some thoughts out there :)

Enjoy your evening :)

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I think people view rep as proof of how long they've been here, or how "high quality" of a person they are.

Ha. Yeah, right. I have a lot of rep, and you don't see anyone pointing at me, calling me "high quality", do you? :rolleyes: Hell, I think most people that know this SN and who I am kinda dislike me, or just don't care :D

It's ok. I don't like you, either :)

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
I think people view rep as proof of how long they've been here, or how "high quality" of a person they are.

Ha. Yeah, right. I have a lot of rep, and you don't see anyone pointing at me, calling me "high quality", do you? :rolleyes: Hell, I think most people that know this SN and who I am kinda dislike me, or just don't care :D

It's ok. I don't like you, either :)

No one cares about that huge 2000 rep (I didn't seen it) you and other have, they can wonder how many +rep they need and then they will stop after some thoughs about it.

Reputation is normally only a sign of respect about a answer for a question or a post. Nothing else.

Silver_Eagle

Reaction score
The member in the post #142 has put it in a very understandful and kind manner.

When I joined this forum, it was the first I ever saw with a reputation system like that, the other reputation forums I have visited ( or moderate) have this:

"Only administrators and global moderators can rep others and only if they are being helpful or not"

So is reputation over this forum work like that?

I have seen 2-3 members upper in this thread (I do not wish to name them) that worship it like a god. And the custom tittle isn't that important either.

and the way reputation works here, makes me feel disqusted out of those that like being repped.

I, myself, will never ask for reputation unless...well, not unless I get crazy.

If you feel like to rep someone who is kind or is being helpful, go ahead, but know that the importance and more the character of the one that asks for it is VERY insignificant.

That is the opinion I hold for reputation.

~Silver_E.

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
I like +rep. I know its only a system here, but my reputation is important to me. But it's almost apples and oranges here though.

Anyway, Just a little story about rep. I've had a few +reps, but I actually appreciate the 1 -rep I've had. I was out of line, and got this -rep and a comment, and at first I was like:

wtf??

Then I stopped and thought about it. And this person was right! So even if you get -rep it can also be a good thing. I know it made me realise what I was doing.

TheCrystal

Reaction score
Quick Question

Can someone remove some rep when you're right? I got downrepped from a guy who hasn't posted once, and then says I know nothing of the World Editor on the message?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Its on a case by case basis but I went ahead and took care of it for you.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
So even if you get -rep it can also be a good thing. I know it made me realise what I was doing.

that is very true -rep can be frustrating when you first get them is like why did he/she -rep me and you even think of -rep that person because of your anger (that was like me when i first joined here :p) but then you sit at your computer and you think about it and you realise the other person is right and then you +rep them and then you will probably make friends with them :D

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
I think rep is very overrated and to some like me it is annoying where a guy who joined the same time I did has 200 +rep while I stay at 10 for eons, even when I comment on almost everything in the Writer's Corner, not spamming but comment and give (I hope) good advice and add subjects, all I really do is the Writer's Corner, my brother (hobo218) told me about it and I really love writing so I joined, and I've done four threads, two stories and writing subjects, (Writing Style and Doing Outlines and Planning). So its just annoying when other people get a ton of rep for what sometimes seems like no reason. I think it should be destroyed, so where you only know if you visitor, user, member, etc., plus if your mod, global mod, or admin, or in one case this huge big sign with block letters stating THE HELPER.
But thats MY opinion, if you finished reading it.

Master

Thou shall be helped by...The Black Adder!
Reaction score
As you said, it is rigged, and bound to be ignorant. I bet that one year before things were different...I have been in many vB forums, and they disable reputation just because people think and act like they need it. It is only to show something. A person who might have, e.g 1000 rep here might be an ass (sorry for that word) somewhere else. And the opposite, to be exact. There is no like representative for a person who possesses high or low reputation. People might rep someone just for fancing it, others because someone asked for it, and others for being nice/helpful. But all these have no true purpose whatsoever.

~Have a nice and comfortable day.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Personally, if I ever got the vBulletin software, I would disable Rep for member usage. Why? Because then anyone can use it...

Staff and up using it would assure that it's used as a reward for the right things. :)

DM Cross

Reaction score
Hence why I didn't bother suggesting we do that here :) Sometimes you start stuff and it's a real pain to try to finish it.

Imagine if GH stopped allowing sigs.

TheCrystal

Reaction score
Oh, and thanks for removing the -rep from that guy : ). And even if I did -rep him, it wouldn't matter, he hasn't posted once >_>

Well, ty.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Hence why I didn't bother suggesting we do that here :) Sometimes you start stuff and it's a real pain to try to finish it.

Imagine if GH stopped allowing sigs.

I would have a nervous breakdown! :rolleyes:
It would be better if rep was removed and custom titles and such became a bit more common. :D

DM Cross

Reaction score
Nooo it wouldn't. We get enough questions of "How do we get this or that". "By rep" is a quick answer. Having no rep and having to give everyone custom titles or sigs is a pain in the ass cause then we get nothing but suck-ups trying to get this or that outta us. Screw that.

S

Sunny_D

hm... may i ask how it comes that you can get a neutral reputation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.