Roller Coaster - For Windows (Download Attached)

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
widelogo.png
Introduction
The game is written in C#, and is using XNA as a front end. I spent nearly a year (a while back) working on one for warcraft 3, with triggers. Recently I build and am still working on updating one for windows. This is my first release.

Download - http://www.appup.com/app-details/roller-coaster-maker

Versions
Key Features
  • Fully playable with keyboard, mouse, and touch.
  • Building coasters, with a large amount of flex-ability yet designed to take only seconds to learn.
  • Ride coasters, from in the cart or from a third person perspective.
  • Multi-Touch for zoom in and out. (There is also a button for it)
  • Coin Mode
Screenshots

Riding (Cart View)
ride2.png

Riding (Third Person View)
rideu.png

Download - http://www.appup.com/app-details/roller-coaster-maker

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I took heed of your note from the last thread. Continuing on...

Overall (aside from the bugs you found) what did you think?

Liked how you can scroll through a ride. Left turns and right turns are pretty simple enough to grasp. The building is pretty straightforward, so at least I know where to build, once I know how to control the camera. It's also nice to see tracks able to determine whether any tracks are blocking the exit and try to fix it by going above the track. However, it doesn't go down and then connect to the exit though, unless the track is leveled.

While I'm eating lunch, I decided to play-test a few more times, and noticed a few more things I somehow missed on my first trial run.

• After you finish a ride, once you click on "Build", the screen doesn't take me back to end of the track. Another trial-and-error, I finally know that I have to click on "Back" in order to go back to building my track, and sacrifice the last built track.
  • "Straight" is misspelled.
  • I can't tell the button's hitboxes are at. Moving the mouse and clicking around in a small spot seemed to have helped the situation.
  • Massive Z-fightings in the terrain when you look straight down from the sky.
  • Another massive Z-fighting when after creating a track going into the sky, click on "Finish", and ride your cart from the sky going downwards in 1st person mode.
  • I have reached the height limit, but I don't see any notifications that I'm hitting the said limit.
  • Tree models are not entirely closed up. Rotating the camera around trees doesn't help.
  • Once you're very high up, tracks become harder to place down.
  • After building tons of track, it becomes repetitive to click on Back many times. And you can't hold down Back.
  • Whenever I tried to build around the exit, but not wanting to finish the track, the game automatically finishes it.
I think that's all for my second run.

EDIT: Also, I am unsure on how to uninstall the application. Do I just delete the start menu folder?

rover2341

Reaction score
Control Panel - Uninstall . But no one would want to uninstall roller coaster right? lol. K ill fix these bugs and get back to you. I got mid terms this week so most of them will have to wait till the weak end.

Height Limit? Ill check, there shouldn't be in any. I had one in a while ago during a test but i thought i removed it.

Trees arnt cloesd on purpose. I thought it would be easyer to see from the outside. But I can close them up.

The game automatically finshes. I think for now ill leave it that way. the exit area is a bit outside the gate in your build area. as I am more conerned about some people being able to finsh.

"Straight" is misspelled. Ill fix thanks.

"Once you're very high up, tracks become harder to place down." Hmm. Ill test this, its likey due to not seeing the out of bounds area.

Ill make a easier way to back up.

The hitbox's are a known issue ill work on that.

Whats a "Massive Z-fightings" Ill try what you did and see what happens.

When you press the finish button it first attempts to go to the ground and finish, and it has about 12 other methods it trys. nommaly the one that works is the where it doesn't have to go down. Clearly this can be improved but for now if it nommaly gets you to the end that's going to have to be enough. After cleaning up these, bugs if you still think its imporatnat ill give it a shot and ask in the coding section here for help, on that logic.

"However, it doesn't go down and then connect to the exit though, unless the track is leveled." Then its likey a error i have in my function that levels the track. Ill check it out.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I'm Just wondering. Can you play it without a " phone?"

rover2341

Reaction score
Yes, The link on the first thread runs fine with out a phone.

Desktop Version (This Thread)
This version is For windows. Not Windows Phone. Windows 7, Windows 8, Vista and I think It will work on XP as well.

Phone Version (Not this thread)
This Thread is for the phone, and yes you can play the phone version with out a phone, but you have to install the win phone 7 emulator.

http://www.thehelper.net/threads/roller-coaster-a-project-for-windows-phone.156589/#post-1338680

Edit* I am aware of UI Issues on the Desktop One, and some bugs But its a work in progress. It runs good enofe to mess around with.

rover2341

Reaction score
Updated, Fixed Builder Issues, that would cause crash's, revamped UI. (part of it still not done) And got coin mode mostly done.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.