Gaming Sony Makes it Official: PlayStation Network Hacked

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
When Sony's PlayStation Network was taken offline three days ago, all eyes fell on the Anonymous group, who've taken a dislike to Sony over its treatment of hardware hacker George Hotz. The network allows online play between PlayStation 3 consoles and boasts 70 million users, so this is no small inconvenience.

Last night Sony confessed that an "external intrusion" caused the company to take-down the PlayStation Network and also Sony's Qriocity service in order "to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward". However, they're not saying anything more, or giving a time scale as to when gamers will be able to resume playing online.

What makes it strange is that Anonymous has denied being involved, claiming "for once we didn't do it" and suggesting Sony was using rumors of an Anonymous attack as cover for an internal problem with their servers. As yet Anonymous hasn't responded to the latest update from Sony.

However, the decentralized nature of Anonymous means that individuals act alone with no governance, and Anonymous admitted that "it could be the case that other Anons have acted by themselves."

Last edited:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Thank god i have an xbox
You're paying for Live though. :p

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
> Thank god i have an xbox
You're paying for Live though. :p

YEAH BUT I GET QUALITY SERVICE.

I sometimes hate Xbox Live, but I haven't had a chance to use PSN (I've only got God of War 3), so I won't make any comparisons.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
So do you think that Sony is regretful of going after Geohot and the others yet?

*edit* how do you think Peter Parker got so many good pictures of spider man? There's always a connection!

oorosco

Reaction score
50 (last time i checked) dollars a year is pocket money, if you complain about a fee less than 5 dollars a month then you have serious financial problems and shouldn't be gaming rather working. I really don't understand why people cry out about costs of products they wish to use, it's really an invalid argument. E.G. i am willing to pay a yearly cost in order to never have a week long loss of service and on top of this, this is apparently not the first time PSN has gone down?

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Online games?
Anyway, you always have a choice. So it would not be "paying for Live" if you don't want that. hehe

Actually, there are a lot of free Online games available. hmm

The Service Microsoft provides is called "Xbox Live"

They aren't referring to paying for live in a metaphoric way...

In other news, playing on my Xbox 360 :eek:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> 50 (last time i checked) dollars a year is pocket money, if you complain about a fee less than 5 dollars a month then you have serious financial problems and shouldn't be gaming rather working.
My point was that you're paying for a better service, and that rare PSN downtimes don't necessarily make Live better (because of the cost - that's still $50 you could've been better off by). Nobody was complaining or crying out. Calm down.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
The Service Microsoft provides is called "Xbox Live"
Use Xbox Live on your own risk LOL

They aren't referring to paying for live in a metaphoric way...
Yeah, I kinda agree. Mostly all online game "Live games" are free to play but if you really like playing than you have to pay "Greedy game owners?" Well, for equipment, etc. whatever it is.[/QUOTE]

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
for the past 2 years I have been able to get live at $30/yr - deals pop up every now and then for those who don't want to pay too much extra, the network also has a lot less cheaters/hackers as opposed to the ps3/wii networks (in the wii I have encountered TWICE a person with a permanent star power-up in mario kart, and in the ps3 version of black-ops it seems to be full of wallhacks/aimbots, I played both the ps3 version and the xbox version and prefer the xbox for online play)

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Sony Comes Clean: PlayStation Network Hackers Have Stolen Personal Data

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the current outage of PlayStation Network & Qriocity services. We are currently working to send a similar message to the one below via email to all of our registered account holders regarding a compromise of personal information as a result of an illegal intrusion on our systems. These malicious actions have also had an impact on your ability to enjoy the services provided by PlayStation Network and Qriocity including online gaming and online access to music, movies, sports and TV shows. We have a clear path to have PlayStation Network and Qriocity systems back online, and expect to restore some services within a week.

We’re working day and night to ensure it is done as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience and feedback.

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:
Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

More.

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
Keeping users' information, are we?

It's the hackers' fault when they attack Sony in a way that reminds me of how Manning and Wikileaks hurt the US army and released all those exposing files.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.