Spell: Flame Walk

Ithladir

Reaction score
Hi im going to start right of the bat; I'm making a flame walk spell (where the caster walks, fire appears and deals damage to nearby units).
I tried to make it myself but i don't work :( so i thought id post it here:

Code:
Flame Walk Cast
    Events
        Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Flame Walk 
    Actions
        Set Flame_Walk_Active = True
        Wait 10.00 seconds
        Set Flame_Walk_Active = False

Code:
Flame Walk Active
    Events
        Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
    Conditions
        Flame_Walk_Active Equal to True
    Actions
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area)) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        ((Picked unit) has buff Flame Walk ) Equal to True
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Create 1 Flame Walk Dummy for (Picked player) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
                    Else - Actions
                        Do nothing

as you can see i use 2 triggers and a dummy for the actual fire (the dummy has permanent immolation as for the damage) but the dummy never appears :(

Help would be greatly appreciated :p

Furberg

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Hi im going to start right of the bat; I'm making a flame walk spell (where the caster walks, fire appears and deals damage to nearby units).
I tried to make it myself but i don't work :( so i thought id post it here:

Code:
Flame Walk Cast
    Events
        Unit - A unit [B]Begins casting an ability[/B]
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Flame Walk 
    Actions
        Set Flame_Walk_Active = True
        Wait 10.00 seconds
        Set Flame_Walk_Active = False

Code:
Flame Walk Active
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
            Loop - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Create 1 Flame Walk Dummy for (Picked player) at (Position of ([B]Triggering unit[/B])) facing Default building facing degrees
                    Else - Actions
                        Do nothing

First of all you should use Starts the effect of an abillity. Second, there isnt spawning a unit because there is no "Triggering Unit", you gotta use a variable for that :thup:

Ithladir

Reaction score
Changed it some: (and now it's starts the effect of an ability)

Code:
Flame Walk Active
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
            Loop - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Create 1 Flame Walk Dummy for (Triggering player) at (Position of (Picked unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
                    Else - Actions
                        Do nothing

BUT it still dont work :l (and if other variables please tell, im quite tired but dont wanna loose the idea)

[EDIT]: crap missed the triggering player ;) my fault sry
RE[EDIT]: btw can't i just change (Triggering player) to (Owner of (Picked unit)?

Furberg

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Changed it some: (and now it's starts the effect of an ability)

Code:
Flame Walk Active
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
            Loop - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Create 1 Flame Walk Dummy for (Triggering player) at (Position of (Picked unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
                    Else - Actions
                        Do nothing

BUT it still dont work :l (and if other variables please tell, im quite tired but
dont wanna loose the idea)

Okay.. Go into the first trigger you posted (not the one up there). Then make a variable = Set unitFlame_walk (a unit variable)

Then in this area in your second trigger (that one up there):
Code:
Unit - Create 1 Flame Walk Dummy for ([B]Triggering player[/B]) at ([B]Position of (Picked unit)[/B]) facing Default building facing degrees

Change Triggering Player to Owner of unitFlame_walk, and Position of (picked unit) to Position of (unitFlame_walk). Then you wont need your If/Then/Else action, and it will reduce lag :thup:

Ithladir

Reaction score
The problem is solved! though during this i thought of; must i not destroy the unitFlame_walk so that other people can use it too? becouse aint it locked to that caster forever:confused:

Furberg

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The problem is solved! though during this i thought of; must i not destroy the unitFlame_walk so that other people can use it too? becouse aint it locked to that caster forever:confused:

Nope, Units wont leak, Unit Groups and Locations leak. But not units :thup: anyways. goodnight, i got exams tommorrow ^^

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Nope, Units wont leak, Unit Groups and Locations leak. But not units

Technically, units can leak if they aren't killed/removed (and if they are dummies, it's almost impossible to 'find' them and kill them, since grouping units of type can fail and destroy incorrect dummies who aren't supposed to be dead just yet)

So, you really should add an expiration timer to those dummies

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.