Health Swearing 'helps to reduce pain'

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Uttering expletives when you hurt yourself is a sensible policy, according to scientists who have shown swearing can help reduce pain.

A study by Keele University researchers found volunteers who cursed at will could endure pain nearly 50% longer than civil-tongued peers.

They believe swearing helps us downplay being hurt in favour of a more pain-tolerant machismo.

The work by Dr Richard Stephens' team appears in the journal NeuroReport.

More

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Now I have a reason to say "DAMN IT" when I hurt myself!

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Well "swearing" is just another word. It's nothing special. If the whole world agreed to make like "cat" a swear, and like in a few years it does turn into a swear word, I don't think cat will still help too much.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

juty

Zoom out problems look smaller
Reaction score
releasing of energy??? transferring the heat energy off pain into sound energy???
perhaps???? :banghead: :nuts:

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
this is what soldiers do all the time :D

I suppose you dont have to swear, all you have to do is refrain from keeping the pain bottled up, and usually just spouting it out in any word necessary. Usually "Ouch"

He would have to yell it, or put some emotional force behind it. Yes i read the article

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Read the article. It kinda explains why yelling or grunting also achieves the same effect.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Well I did read the article, but what I'm saying is that swearing is just words, not that much big of a fuss just because people say they're, whatever they want them to be. So like any word could work, if you put enough emotion to it. Eh... idk.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm reading aloud the longest article I can find in Encyclopedia Dramatica. Oh Yeah!

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
Exactly, this is the reason I swear nonstop all day. Just in the off chance a stray bullet hits me or a dog bites my nards. Science told me to.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.