System Terrain Generator

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Ok, got a major update. It won't put trees on rocks anymore, though they may be right up on the edge. Also, it won't produce destructables near units. And last, you can give it a specific region to be generated, but it will not be a perfect square. Might be a plus, actually. :p

Good job on the update. Theres only one more thing you need and thats path ways.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> Theres only one more thing you need and thats path ways.

ShockedEmoticon.gif
Riiiight. :p I don't really have any idea how to do that. Yet. But I might never. Besides, where would the pathways go? :rolleyes: I'm open to suggestions as to how to accomplish this.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Have a region variable with an array, then the person using the system makes regions where they want paths and adds those regions to the region array variable :confused:

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> Have a region variable with an array, then the person using the system makes regions where they want paths and adds those regions to the region array variable

Ok, that would give you a path, BUT:

1. It wouldn't terrain the rest of the map.

2. If you wanted to specify a tile, then all the rest would have to be left out.

3. If you didn't specify a tile, it would give you a mixture of all the different terrain types.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Think ghan, think. Just have an if/then/else when it looks and check if your position is within any of the regions. If it is, then make it a certain tile, otherwise do the randomizaiton. Or not just 1 tile, but you get the idea.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> Just have an if/then/else when it looks and check if your position is within any of the regions. If it is, then make it a certain tile, otherwise do the randomizaiton.

Sooo... that would have to replace my current region system. :( Oh, well. Sounds like it might work, too. I'll give it a try. :p

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
>where would the pathways go?

No where special, or most probably no where at all.
Just there for looks.
Or what not.

IMO, flag the paths.
Waste of time.
Don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to have a map that generates
random walkways that don't actually lead to anywhere with a "point".

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, well I think that the path thing is too complicated. It occured to me that you could simply take the one region that I have, resize and move it, set the terrain-type variables to whatever you want, then run the terrain generator trigger. Do that several times, and you're done with your path. Kind of messy, but it looks to be the best way.

Naminator

Coming Back To Life
Reaction score
Good job!. I use to make this kind of system by creating trees and other things at the map init. But this one is much better than creating trees only. :p
Like it!.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
If your updates have been true how about updating your screenshots... Your screenshots are still of v.0000000001 lol

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> If your updates have been true how about updating your screenshots... Your screenshots are still of v.0000000001 lol

Lol. Yep, I suppose they are. I made some new ones. :rolleyes:

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Okay, cool, good.

Except something seemed weird...
There was more trees in the dirt than the grass?!
Try making it so there's a higher chance for a tree to be created if the tile is grass than if the tile is dirt :p

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I did that. There's a 15% chance to create a tree in the dirt, and a 25% chance if it's in the grass. Though, I had to split the destructable generator because it was hitting the execution limit earlier. Also, good luck modifying this properly if you have a different tileset than Lordaeron Summer. :rolleyes:

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Possibly if there's a terrain type variable type then at map init they could define some variables... like
TreeType[1] = Ashenvale Canopy Tree
TreeType[2] = Ashenvale Tree
TerrainType[1] = Ashenvale - Dirt
TerrainType[2] = Ashenvale - Leaves
etc...
Then in the triggers you use the variables, :p

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> Possibly if there's a terrain type variable type then at map init they could define some variables... like
Then in the triggers you use the variables

Uhh... that's what I do now. :p

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Then why is it so hard if your terrain type is not the summer thing?

(okay maybe I should stop commenting and open up the map?)

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> Then why is it so hard if your terrain type is not the summer thing?

Because the conditions check for Summer-specific terrain types. Rocks, dirt, grass for the tree placement. It would get a bit difficult to rearrange all of those into the right types to check if you have a different tileset.

> (okay maybe I should stop commenting and open up the map?)

It wouldn't hurt. :rolleyes:

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Just add a bunch of conditions, using dirt types from every pallet, rock types from every pallet, tile types from every pallet, lol :D
That would work. And also the person wouldn't need to change anything... ;)
(yes I tested as this point, I have a feeling if you used this in multiplayer the lag window would come up with lots of people... IT probably wouldn't lag as much if done in JASS ;))

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> Just add a bunch of conditions, using dirt types from every pallet, rock types from every pallet, tile types from every pallet, lol
That would work. And also the person wouldn't need to change anything...

I'm not amused. :p I think people should figure it out for themselves. :rolleyes:

> IT probably wouldn't lag as much if done in JASS

Hmm. That would be possible if I knew JASS.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
> IT probably wouldn't lag as much if done in JASS

Hmm. That would be possible if I knew JASS.

lol :D
I only figure that because of all the if/then/elses it runs (because of the loops). GUI if/then/elses call functions for every condition.. and it's kinda messy.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.