The good old days.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
My dad use to own a laptop.
Was playing PacMan with that.
And the song kept stuck in my head whenever I'm not playing.
Almost 20 years ago. I forgot what was the spec. But it uses diskette.

Console game would be Micro Genius. I remembered all those cartridges.
Remembered how I needed to position the cartridges at certain angle so that it could play correctly. Lol...
Contra and Mario were the best games at the time.
This was when I was about 7.

My first computer was when I was 15? Pentium 2. 2gb HDD I think. A cloned version.
Was playing Red Alert 1 and Star Craft. Couldn't support CS at that time.

I remember having to blow on them to get mine to work and then shifting it around and taping it, and then adjusting the cables just right when it started to get old. I had all three of the Donkey Kongs for the SNES... I always got scared near the end and on the boss levels. Like the bird in the first one at the end of the cement levels, I hated that thing. Then number three came out and the first god damn boss was a giant man eating barrel thing that you fed giant bugs, yeah that's appropriate for little kids.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Before the PC i had a spectrum played like apple&jam and such, fun times ^^

After that i remember getting an Amiga 512 and playing Cannon Fodder, Mortal Kombat 2, Moonstone (The game freaked me and my friend out so much, it's not meant to be played by kids), some kind of a soccer simulation etc.. I had a snes but one of my friends broke it >.<

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I had an Intel 80386 at 16MHz (if I recall correctly).
Woah, that is a really old comp^^
3DFX voodoo 3 graphics card.
I used to have one of those as well :) The voodoo cards where really good back then:D

@ReVolver: I assume that you had a lot of money back then ^^ That comp would have cost a small fortune:D

Contra and Mario were the best games at the time.
This was when I was about 7.

Not Zelda?:( We owned a nes back then and I can't count how many time I finished that game^^

My first computer was when I was 15? Pentium 2. 2gb HDD I think. A cloned version.
Was playing Red Alert 1 and Star Craft. Couldn't support CS at that time.

Red Alert 1:) How could I forget that little pearl :) It was so awesome and still is btw:p

I remember my friend had a 486 that he brought to a lan once :)
He was playing cs 1.5 on it with a 2MB graphics card. He was literally playing the game picture by picture:nuts: This was around 2000 and all my other friends and me had at least 500Mhz in our comps^^
The worst part is that the bastard got at least one headshot each round for just shooting randomly every time an enemy showed up on the screen and not to forget his perfect round, he got us all even his team-mates in a single round and he had like 0.5fps on it:eek:

Edit: Nenad, your not joking^^ Moonstone is a little scary even by todays standards:p
I hate my dad for throwing out our nes:( The darn thing is actually worth more now than when we bought it:D

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> Not Zelda?

Zelda is probably more modern? I had NES when I was like 13.
Micro Genius is way older. I think it's one of the first game console besides Atari.
Maybe the game existed, but I wasn't aware of it :p.

> Varine

Yeah. Sometimes I got too excited and pulled the controller too hard,
ended up with pixelated screen and looping sound.
My brother would kill me when that happened.

I used to play before the computer which uses the larger version of diskette,
Not sure what's it look like though. We couldn't afford a computer at the time.
Computer was something like a... luxury gadget during my time.
You guys are very very lucky. Damn it.

Lol... Come to think about it... those days... Lol...

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I remember my dad used to sit around one of our really old computers with his casettes, it was so fun to see him sitting there and write programs and as soon as he left rip all of the film out of the casette he was working on^^
Man did he get mad at me:D
I was like 3 or 4 at that time though, if not younger.
I think that it was one step before amiga, when all of his friends upgraded to amiga he did not want to because of that you could not write assembly code on those or something:nuts:

@Vypur65: Dude, you must be even older than me then and I thought that I was the dinosaur around here:eek: But those where the days:)

That old Nvidia card of mine is still around here somewhere working as stable as ever, it must be at least 12 years old by now:rolleyes:

I for one is actually thinking about taking some old pieces and build an old comp just to be able to play some old classics:)
Gta 1 among others is not working on my current comp:(

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
i used to remember that we used to use Floppy disks instead of USB's and we had computers equipped for that. But now it's just CD drive and a lot of USB ports on a single CPU. :rolleyes:

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
I remember my dad used to sit around one of our really old computers with his casettes, it was so fun to see him sitting there and write programs and as soon as he left rip all of the film out of the casette he was working on^^
Man did he get mad at me:D
I was like 3 or 4 at that time though, if not younger.
I think that it was one step before amiga, when all of his friends upgraded to amiga he did not want to because of that you could not write assembly code on those or something:nuts:

Yeah, that was the Spectrum, my dad had it as well. I remember playing games of cassetes, they were so much fun xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw_JcwmouwA Apple Jam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7khL9Ms4ow Manic Miner

Good old times when i was 5 xD

Edit: JET SET WILLY OMG! XD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpedhIsBLc0&feature=related

Don't watch these if you have epilepsy.Seriously.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Yeah, it probably was that^^ What was spectrum anyway? I never really got the hang of that:confused: Was it some sort of pc?

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
What:eek:
I got to know what specs that comp had:)
I had an old 486 with an 2mb Gfx card with an 8mb expander thingy and it could handle D2, there was lag though, but it was playable expansion and all:shades:
That had to be one really lousy comp to not be able to play that game:eek:

Nenad, that sounds a lot like my old comp^^ I did never play the first diablo back then though:( I thought it was to scary at that time:(
Well, to be more accurate, it could handle Diablo II reasonably well (fairly slow to load and such, but playable) until Act III at which point the game began to crash very often.

If I remembered the specs, I'd tell you but that's a good 10 years ago at this point (if not more :p).

As fun and simple as stuff was back then (I'd love to play Big Red Racing again, that was awesome), I wouldn't really want to go back. I like being able to play stuff properly! :D

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I used to play random DOS games as a kid, and I was mad into Ski-Free when it came out! :D

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
I, or actually my parents had one of those great Macs, the really old ones with no CD drive, where you stacked the monitor on top of the computer. I think chess was the highlight :D No internet either but all in all a pretty nice machine. Don't ask me for the specs though :)

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_ZX_Spectrum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh0g73JvFbo

Amazing, just look at those specs! I had the 48kb ram one, with 4mhz of processing power! 8 freaking colours as well!!! ^^

That is just feakin' awesome^^ I want one:p
They just must have used clock frequency for programs back then:D

But I was actually not talking about that old days:p

I would love to have one lan with the classics again^^ I actually miss Delta Force 1:( I used to own at that:D

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
My parents paid over 1k for a computer which might be worth 5 dollars today. Of course, it was top of the line when it came out. Still works, my step dad upgraded it a lot way back when, and it runs starcraft. slowly. It also runs age of empires one, but we do not mention the speed at which it does so.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
My parents paid over 1k for a computer which might be worth 5 dollars today.

Today perhaps. When Nintendo Entertainment System or nes got old it dropped a lot in worth, but today it is worth more than when it came out:D
When they find a new type of computers to replace these ones most of them will be killed with time and their worth will go up you know;)

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Computer eh?? As far as I can remember, this is my specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium 2 350mhz
Video: S3 something... 4mb
Ram: 64mb sdram 133
Monitor: Gateway 1024x768

What it is good for?

* Office 2000
* Starcraft
* Zeus
* Stronghold

THE ONLY CONSOLE I EVER BOUGHT -->> Nintendo Entertainment System popularly known here as Family Computer..

CONSOLES I HAVE FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS OF MY LIFE: NES (Broken for unknown reasons), SNES (Bad A/V, Bad Gamepad), N64 (Blown Adapter [Someone plug it on a different socket])

HANDHELDS: 2x GBC, DSL (current)

GAMES I BOUGHT FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS: B-Wings, Donkey Kong Jr, Baseball, Super Mario World, (Others are all gifts)

GAMES I HAVE:

* NES - B-Wings, Donkey Kong Jr, Baseball, Battle City, Excite Bike
* SNES - Chrono Trigger [J], Super Mario World [J], Kirby [J], Nobunaga No Yabou: Haouden (Nobunaga's Ambition) [J], Tengai Makyou Zero (Far East of Eden Zero {Best RPG Ever}) [J], Yuyu Hakusho [J], Super Mario Kart [J], Street Fighter II [J], 2x Soccer [J], Megaman X [J], Gradius III [J], etc (I forgot, but there's more)..
* N64 - 7 Seas something.. [J], Mystical Ninja Goemon [J], Excite Bike 64 [J], Snowboard Kids [J], Banjoe Kazooe something [J], Happy Train [J] (The best one I've played), etc... (I think there're 2 more, but I forgot)..
* GB/GBC - Pokemon Red [J], Gameboy Gallery 3 [J], Pokemon Yellow Version (Pocket Monster Trainer) [J], Rockman World, Pokemon Pinball, Pocket Bomberman, etc.. (I acquired alot of multicart from friends)
* NDS - None... I don't have anything, just a shitty GBA game of Naruto Ninja Council 2.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The only good days was when I was playing Pokemon Gold Japanese version on a handheld Game Boy Color, which at that time, US hasn't released Game Boy Color out yet. I kept playing the game until the internal battery went out.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
@ertaboy356b: Holy crap, that is one heck of a detailed post^^
How could I forget about stronghold:eek:
That is an awesome game :) Sadly I never felt that the predecessors lived up to the standards of the first game :(
I actually went a bit nostalgic last week and played it with my friend, at least until I got mad at the bastard for not reminding me that I could trade resources to get an advantage:eek:

I am actually thinking about putting together an old comp just to be able to play gta1 and duke nukem 3d^^

I remember one classic game that most of you have probably never ever heard about :)
"Havets vargar" or "Wolves of the Sea". It is a really old game made by target games. I believe that it was only released in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and finland.
It is a rts game almost like sid meiers pirates, but instead of controlling one ship you control multiple fleets and the whole "nation" upgrading cities researching new ships and much more:D I miss it so much because it was so fun:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.