WIP Toy 3D Map

Conal

Reaction score
Toy 3D Map v2

Here's a little toy map I composed taking some of the ideas from my old Zed map with a smaller goal in mind. In this map, you will traverse a four story building with a close-up third person camera view.

I made a movement system using the WASD keys because movement with the arrow keys would be slow. Arrow keys are used as another way to control the camera movement. The hotkey E will be the all-purpose "Use" key and would open chests, push buttons, climb ladders, etc.

[del]I've gotten suggestions for a button to turn around quickly but I thought that would be a nifty aspect for teamwork. In multiplayer, it might be advantageous to protect each others backs.[/del] Turning around quickly will be a necessity for surviving.

As for gameplay, it would be a simple walk-around-find-guns style map. Zombies would appear from the darkness and you would right-click them to shoot them. However, currently the map does not support multiplayer.

Bugs
- Corners of tiles cut off due to the angle of attack (fixable with smaller tiles and more of them but that might generate lag)
- Marine likes to channel after climbing a ladder

Upcoming Features
- Hallways on specific floors
- Items on specific floors
- Terrain
- Option to set how far you can see (less lag)
- Pathmapping for zombies within buildings

Screenshots

Spooky inside the building...
buildingA.png
4th-Floor looking down at some torches.
buildingB.png

Changelog
Version 2
- Jittery walking bugfix
- Movement changed a bit (more fluid)
- Model crash on old cards bugfix
- Swaying camera left/right no longer interrupt movement
- Added support for left/right arrow keys
- Doors added
- Rewrote a few triggers and removed deprecated model

Attachments

• Toy3D.w3x
    23.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Toy3Dv2.w3x
    15 KB · Views: 241

Conal

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it takes some getting use to...I've been pondering how I would improve it without using arrow keys but no ideas have come up.

I'm fine with mouse movement unless you can find a bug with it. +rep for pointing it out

Razalgrim

Reaction score
The movement system is probably the best I've seen utilizing the WASD keys in Warcraft. Actually, this is the only map I've ever tried where you can actually use the WASD keys for movement.

Great stuff.

Yeah, it's awkward at the start, but it's much more reactive and much less of a hassle than using the arrow keys.

The camera system is great too, but you should be able to turn either the camera or the unit with the left and right arrow keys as well.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product. Good luck with this. :thup:

Conal

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the meaty comment. I thought about adding left/right arrow key control but concluded it would be redundant. Now that I think about it, it would be more intuitive. +rep and I'll see to it that it is implemented.

For those interested:
- Removed a model causing the light system to crash on old gfx cards
- Added doors (more like holes in the walls) and their corresponding collisions

Edit (more added):
- Fixed jittery movement bug
- A/D no longer interrupt movement (moving is far more intuitive now)
- Implemented the left/right arrow keys
- Lowered collision with walls a little bit

These changes will show up in the next version. I'm much happier with the movement system now.

Conal

Reaction score
Version 3 Changes
- Vision only in front of the player (prevents weird hp bars)
- Added some terrain
- Added some more buildings with varying heights
- Fixed a ladder bug
- Changed 80% of generated units into destructibles (hopefully they don't create as much lag)
- Made it multiplayer compatible
- Added some basic Zombie AI
Been trying to wrap my head around how I would add collision to doodads inside buildings on multiple floors. I could do it easily if everything fit in a square rectangle like the building blocks do. It looks like I'm going to resort to that.

Next on the list after AI I'd like to work on Zombie types. Perhaps a fast agile zombie that could probably be shot in one hit...Some slow zombies that are just meat shields for special zombies, etc. Feel free to give any ideas regarding anything.

Chaos_Knight

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it takes some getting use to...I've been pondering how I would improve it without using arrow keys but no ideas have come up.

I'm fine with mouse movement unless you can find a bug with it. +rep for pointing it out

Use RtC! Use RtC!

Conal

Reaction score
I don't like the whole idea of requiring everybody to run something in order to play the map...especially when the map is intended for battle.net. Thanks for the suggestion though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.