Gaming Treating Starcraft addiction with antidepressants

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
I would rather play Starcraft 2 then live the ignorant, redneck, jock life of football, nascar, or hunting.

In fact, real time strategy requires more intellect then most other sports.
Starcraft 2 is really just a realtime game of chess.

Funny how they treat video game addiction like its a disease, but noone gives a damn about someone who plays professional sports all day or even fishing.

imo professional sports < online gaming.

Psychologist can kiss my ass.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Football is very, very strategic.

While I don't disagree about no one treating addiction to sports, I think a better analogy is no one treats addiction to chess.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>Funny how they treat video game addiction like its a disease, but noone gives a damn about someone who plays professional sports all day or even fishing.

That's because there is a big difference between sitting at home alone in front of your computer screen eating hot pockets and being out doors running around increasing your body's health and having some real social life.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, when you play sports, you end up talking to your friends a lot while you play, and there is actual eye contact and interaction.

BlowingKush

Reaction score
And who puts you in a position to say what is and is not the correct way to socialize?

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No one puts anyone in any position to preach about proper socializing, not sqrage or me.

But in my opinion, I believe that text is merely not enough to compare with the interaction that there is in person.

I'm starting to notice a lot of your views happen to be the exact opposite of what everyone else thinks.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I'm kinda with Bud on this one, but the fact of the matter is that you cannot just sit in front of your computer all day. Hell, I'm a programmer and I make sure I get regular breaks away from the computer. Gotta have other hobbies that are away from the computer ... vary up your living habits. That's the most healthy lifestyle there is :thup:

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
I'm sitting in front of my PC now because I'm sick.
*cough*
Got a terrible cold =/

It's that ghost-month thingy, everyone is burning paper money to send it to their ancestors.
The SMOKE!
The HAZE!
AHHH!!!!!!
So much for going out and being healthy.

BlowingKush

Reaction score
No one puts anyone in any position to preach about proper socializing, not sqrage or me.

But in my opinion, I believe that text is merely not enough to compare with the interaction that there is in person.

I'm starting to notice a lot of your views happen to be the exact opposite of what everyone else thinks.

No actually I share alot of views with other people, I am just not afraid to speak my mind.

In fact, that is why computer gaming can be even more social then actual life.People tend to open up more and be more honest on the net without the pressures of dissatisfaction from other people.

Text may confine interaction, but it also frees character.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
In fact, that is why computer gaming can be even more social then actual life.People tend to open up more and be more honest on the net without the pressures of dissatisfaction from other people.

Text may confine interaction, but it also frees character.

yes but the problem is that many people pretend to be someone who they are not on the internet.

also i would have to disagree with you on rts needing more intellect. More often than not in an rts you repeat the same strat over and over, adjusting here and there. in football for example, you always need to imrpovise. Do i pass, or do i keep running? do i shoot or do i maintain possesion? sure there are set plays every now and then on corners or kicks but even then they are not "set" and you must still ases (assess, asess, asses, i dont know how its spelt) the situation according to where the defense is lacking, who can get open, etc.

"Funny how they treat video game addiction like its a disease, but noone gives a damn about someone who plays professional sports all day or even fishing."
You dont see people divorcing just because they want to play more sports. You dont see people going into depression when you take that sport away. Sports are good for your heart, lungs, muscles, fresh air (outdoor sports) is good for you, and sports increase balance and agility. Example ur 79 and you trip and fall, braking ur hip. If you had better balance there is a chance you would not have tripped, or at least had regained ur fooritng and had not fallen.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
I got straight A's in high school, did theatre, obtained the rank of Eagle in the BSA and fell in love with a girl I now call my wife. I played an "average" of 4 hours a day... just saying.

so when is that party happening Budsmoke?

N(O.O)B

Reaction score
yes but the problem is that many people pretend to be someone who they are not on the internet.
This never happens in real life, ever. Everyone is completely honest about themselves there, and nobody does things they normally wouldn't enjoy so other people like them more.

also i would have to disagree with you on rts needing more intellect. More often than not in an rts you repeat the same strat over and over, adjusting here and there. in football for example, you always need to imrpovise. Do i pass, or do i keep running? do i shoot or do i maintain possesion? sure there are set plays every now and then on corners or kicks but even then they are not "set" and you must still ases (assess, asess, asses, i dont know how its spelt) the situation according to where the defense is lacking, who can get open, etc.
Honestly, you're right. In professional football, there is a lot of strategy and adapting involved, just like in professional RTS. However, in amateur football (which you probably play), the amount of thought required is generally pretty low, just like in amateur RTS play.

You dont see people divorcing just because they want to play more sports.
Yes you do. It simply doesn't come up on the news because sports is ages old, but trust me plenty of people divorced because the wife didn't let her husband play sports all day to practice for his carreer. I'd wager it's actually a shitload more common than people divorcing over gaming.

You dont see people going into depression when you take that sport away.
If it's an addiction you would actually see this, however, most sporters aren't addicted to the sport. Just like most gamers aren't addicted to gaming, yet in gaming everyone treats every gamer as an addict.

Sports are good for your heart, lungs, muscles, fresh air (outdoor sports) is good for you, and sports increase balance and agility.
Can't disagree with this, but there's a huge risk of injury as well. Not to mention playing games is good for you too, maybe not physically but it is emotionally, and there's a lot more social interaction while gaming than there is while sporting.

Example ur 79 and you trip and fall, braking ur hip. If you had better balance there is a chance you would not have tripped, or at least had regained ur fooritng and had not fallen.
You would also not have fallen if you weren't playing football at age 79 and instead stayed home and played video games.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>there's a lot more social interaction while gaming than there is while sporting.

>>This never happens in real life, ever. Everyone is completely honest about themselves there, and nobody does things they normally wouldn't enjoy so other people like them more.

Please tell me those 2 statements are jokes.

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Oh how I do want to say, "Sarcasm, ever heard of it?" to sqrage and firecat... so there it is

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
I think it's quite funny how people defend their video games.

There are actually quite a few good arguments for video games but most of the pro-VG people just grab every argument that they see and throw it at you. Even if it's a pretty bad one. Makes it all way less credible.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score

You sir have clearly not played Starcraft:Broodwar or if you did just not that competitively.

Hey look! I just may or may have not entirelly rendered your argument moot.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
You sir have clearly not played Starcraft:Broodwar or if you did just not that competitively.

Hey look! I just may or may have not entirelly rendered your argument moot.

Hey look! Two can play at that game!
and that is not even close to all tactics. then we come to the actual gameplay, where, hey! look! the plan isnt working so instead i sha'll pass the ball to this guy! or, everybody is covered, so i shall take a run! then you have the tactics of trying to wear your opponents down, mentally and physically, before you take some real chances, or maybe try hard right away, score a goal, and destroy their morale completely! We could try playing organized and maybe that will work, or maybe we could try to be risky and take our chances, or maybe try our individual skills.
and then we come to the point were there are a LOT of different positions, which you could relate to having 3 starcraft races.
when was the last time you heard of somebody training for starcraft 8 hours a day since they were 3, only to be considered average?

i await your rebuttal.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The only reason why football needs more intellect is because there are more than one player on each team. If you have a 6v6 starcraft game though, starcraft takes the lead.

Video games are only good as a form of entertainment. They don't improve the person in any way but by making the person happier. These people couldn't handle how good a source of fun games are, but I still think antidepressants is going a little far.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
The only reason why football needs more intellect is because there are more than one player on each team. If you have a 6v6 starcraft game though, starcraft takes the lead.

explain how it would take the lead please.

Video games are only good as a form of entertainment. They don't improve the person in any way but by making the person happier. These people couldn't handle how good a source of fun games are, but I still think antidepressants is going a little far.
with this i agree 100%.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.