Gaming Treating Starcraft addiction with antidepressants

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Football is mainly just about getting the ball to the goal and the various means you would do it.True you have to think about strategies on how to get the ball to the goal along with thinking of counters to the opponents counter's to your strategies but it's just really limited on where you move your guys and where you shoot and pass the ball.Now to a more individual perspective you have to just make sure the ball makes it to the goal which would depend on whether or not you want to coordinate and work with your teammates.Strategies and tactics are planned in football and like any other sports where you can see the entire field of play which is based on the information you can glean from the field of play.

In Starcraft however this changes and as one Teamliquid poster so aptly put it.

DefMatrixUltra from TeamLiquid.net: said:
Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 1 demonstrates the importance of scouting - something that chess does not have. Chess is a game of perfect information, Starcraft is a game of limited information. July uses Best's limited information to surprise him with a 5-pool. This game has nothing to do with clicking. You can also talk about the psychological disadvantage this puts Best in - his opponent just did something ridiculous in the most prestigious tournament in Starcraft and won.

Game 2 demonstrates the importance of seizing an opportunity - something that chess does not have. Since chess is not played in real-time (that is, since you cannot macro or micro in chess to improve your game), players act based on knowledge of all current and future possibilities. However, Starcraft is too 'big' a game to even look a few steps ahead. When July sees the small unit count in Best's base and realizes his overlord is going to die, he makes another incredible gamble (he could potentially have lost the game immediately) and does that awesome Bisu-face drone drill. In effect, he is changing the rules of the game. Best had access to his base blocked. Nothing could get past. Except July decided to do something unexpected and unprecedented.

Game 3 is so full of strategy and psychology that I'll let you fill in the blanks.

also if anything a 6v6 would in theory as Nighshade would point out would require more intellect. Provided every team is filled with competent players that don't spam one unit. :p

Baby had been training since middle school so does that count?

then we come to the actual gameplay, where, hey! look! the plan isnt working so instead i sha'll pass the ball to this guy! or, everybody is covered, so i shall take a run! then you have the tactics of trying to wear your opponents down, mentally and physically, before you take some real chances, or maybe try hard right away, score a goal, and destroy their morale completely! We could try playing organized and maybe that will work, or maybe we could try to be risky and take our chances, or maybe try our individual skills.
and then we come to the point were there are a LOT of different positions, which you could relate to having 3 starcraft races.

Firstly how can you even compare the different positions in football to having 3 starcraft races? It's not even the same thing.Tactics and positioning in football is basically much the same in every game.Starcraft however has varying fields of play that have varying terrain features and base start locations so you can't really think about how to position your units until the game starts even if there's a minimap since you might find out that the perfect spot to place your seige tanks for example is already occupied by a giant chunk of undestroyable debris.True some people try and study all the maps in circulation or at least the maps involved in the tournament he or she is participating in but it's more on them getting a feel of the map trying to take note and memorize all possible routes,etc so that they can formulate a decent opening against their opponent.

look! the plan isnt working so instead i sha'll pass the ball to this guy! or, everybody is covered, so i shall take a run! then you have the tactics of trying to wear your opponents down, mentally and physically, before you take some real chances, or maybe try hard right away, score a goal, and destroy their morale completely!

Those are present in Starcraft.In fact if you speed football up 2x add in how the team manages to obtain money without sponsorships to buy new equipment and maintain it,the coaches pitted against each other 1v1 thinking and coping of ways how they manage their players and keep them in line along with actually thinking up a strategy to win the game then you pretty much have 1vs1 match in starcraft with the coaches as the players and the football players as the units.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
It's only a matter of time before having a "social life" and being on the computer are basically the same thing. With sites like facebook, twitter and myspace becoming so popular and then the huge success of dating sites, you hardly ever have to go out and do anything to meet people, connect with them and create actual friendships.

I have a number of friends I've never really met face-to-face. Some of those people were closer to me than childhood friends I had gone to school with my entire life.

It's crazy times.

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
"With sites like facebook, twitter and myspace becoming so popular"

Sometimes, I feel like the only one not dependant on those sites =/

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
It's only a matter of time before having a "social life" and being on the computer are basically the same thing. With sites like facebook, twitter and myspace becoming so popular and then the huge success of dating sites, you hardly ever have to go out and do anything to meet people, connect with them and create actual friendships.

I disagree and I think that's what is becoming wrong with the world. They think that by being on those sites they're being social... you're not. You're sitting in front of your computer. Those sites are supposed to encourage you to be social, by finding old friends, making new ones and meeting them. Along with that it's also great for finding about about events and parties which also encourages actual socializing.

Overall though, I still think these sites are destroying people's social lives. :\

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
There are some people who got married due to social sites. So, we can't totally blame social sites for destroying people's lives.

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
But I'll bet you 10cents that less than 1% of the people who use social-networking sites actually meet their significant other online.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Well, this is my Oppinion on VGs and Socialization:
1: Video Games are very repetitive and become quite boring after a while. So, more than 2 Hours of gaming ( approx. two rounds of LoL) and I'm off doing something else.
2: IF I ever play longer, than it's mostly if the weather is bad or if it's late at night and nothing else is going on.
3: I don't socialize too much, but I made a couple of buddies here and there. So, there is a small factor of socializing. Mostly, it's strangers. And I guess you'd only interact because of the needed organization.
4: Too much of something is bad. Keep your balance and you're good to go (Well, pretty much that what Seph ir oth said)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.