Snippet UnitAlive Fix

Sickle

Reaction score
The common.ai UnitAlive native shares one flaw with the rest of the IsUnitAlive methods. This flaw is that removed units are not recognised as dead immediately after removal. This incredibly short script takes care of that for you.

Yes, it makes RemoveUnit slightly slower. But what sort of psychopath calls RemoveUnit a thousand times a second? The sort that tries to be funny.

Requires vJass. Tested and confirmed to work.
JASS:
function UnitAlive_Fix_Hook takes unit u returns nothing
    call KillUnit(u)
endfunction

hook RemoveUnit UnitAlive_Fix_Hook

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
This keeps you from being able to remove a unit without firing death events.

But you probably knew that.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
This breaks things, and has no benefits.

Let me explain. If a unit has [LJASS]RemoveUnit[/LJASS] called on it, then it is being removed. Anything firing before the call completes (such as undefend) should detect that the unit is alive, if it is alive. This would break those things. It also fires death events at a point at which the unit is not dieing, as Weep said.

It also has no benefits. 0 seconds after a unit is removed, it counts as dead under that native anyway. Anything that fires from [LJASS]RemoveUnit[/LJASS] should see it as alive. A unit (as far as I know) cannot fire events after [LJASS]RemoveUnit[/LJASS] has completed. So generally speaking, any code written after [LJASS]RemoveUnit[/LJASS] will be code written with the knowledge that that the unit has just been removed. Now personally, I'd prefer the functionality of knowing whether or not the unit was alive before it was removed to the unhelpful nothingness of the unit being dead, regardless.

In light of that, what's the purpose of this? May I ask what even made you think the unit should count as dead, if it has not died?

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
May I ask what even made you think the unit should count as dead, if it has not died?
Well, if it's not in the game, it's not alive, is it?

He's not the only one who feels that way...
...or is he? *whistles innocently*

Sickle

Reaction score
Oh, I have encountered bugs which this has fixed. Removed units counting as alive for 0 seconds (while not really 0 seconds) has caused me some annoyance. If you have not, well then. There is nothing I can do about that. The death event is unfortunate.

If you feel this belongs in the mausoleum, then send it there if this is how you feel.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
You rarely need to remove units at all. When you remove unit, it means that you dont need it anymore and want to get rid of it.

Once its gone, it wont bother you no more. Its just that some timer thingies, or maybe periodic actions might try to do stuff to your unit, even after its removed.

So the simple solution is to code your stuff properly: Have some buff system, so you can easily remove all buffs and timed effects related to your unit, before removing it.

The old good [lJASS]GetWidgetLife( unit ) > .405[/lJASS] has never failed me. Its perfect, if you do your stuff properly.

If you dont do your stuff properly, you most likely get buggs, even if you use some of these "better" death checks. If not with unit being death checks, then at least with some other stuff.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Its just that some timer thingies, or maybe periodic actions might try to do stuff to your unit, even after its removed.
For which [LJASS]UnitAlive[/LJASS] will always return false. This fix is for things that fire before even a 0 second timer would pass (ie. are called directly from the function that removed the unit, or through an event that is fired from that function).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.