Sci/Tech US objects to Google book deal

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The US Justice Department has urged a New York court to reject a deal that would allow internet company Google to publish millions of books online. The deal raised copyright and anti-trust issues, the department said, and should be rejected in its current form.

The court is due to rule on the issue early next month. Under the deal - the product of a legal suit - Google would establish a $125m (£77m) fund to compensate those whose works it published online.

It would establish a Book Rights Registry so that authors whose work it digitised were paid when their material was viewed online.

The deal was agreed in October 2008 with the Authors Guild and the Association of American Publishers (AAP) after they sued Google for copyright infringement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Hey, as long as the money gets circulated back to the authors etc, I'm down with it. Lots of times I find it hard to find good books at my library.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, that would say lot's of time having all books within Google.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Reading entire books on a computer screen is not nearly as comfortable as reading the actual book anyway.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Just go ahead, and make libraries obsolete:eek:

It wouldn't make libraries obsolete. I'd still get books from the library. I'd rather have a book than reading off a screen... And audio books aren't my style. Sure, I listened to a few books from audio, but that's because my library didn't have them and I didn't have any other way to read it.

ReVolver

Reaction score
It wouldn't make libraries obsolete. I'd still get books from the library. I'd rather have a book than reading off a screen... And audio books aren't my style. Sure, I listened to a few books from audio, but that's because my library didn't have them and I didn't have any other way to read it.

They these so call "Libraries" have Librarians, people who recommend books for you, these people are usually old and have read many MANY books in their lives, google (a computer) can't do that for you.

In a library, if you want to read a book and don't have it you can request it and most of the time they will get it for you and for the people. I don't think google will have a request section.

One more thing, can you read a book off a computer under a tree in the grass with one hand? ;) no... laptops don't count!

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
I like libraries, its somewhere you can go to not be home, to just read a book. Reading on a computer and an actual book are two very different things. Oh and i agree they smell nice.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Meh, I never go to the library to read at the library, I check out the book and book it out of there.

I got in some.... trouble at our public library, now I'm never allowed on their computers ever again.

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
Meh, I never go to the library to read at the library, I check out the book and book it out of there.

I got in some.... trouble at our public library, now I'm never allowed on their computers ever again.

Got to ask, what did you do!!!

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Um. I disabled their security system and replaced Internet Explorer with a batch file that would first spam a bunch of programs then shut the pc down. Lol.

It wasn't cool. They overreacted, and I got charged with a 3rd Degree Misdemeanor. I had to pay them $50 because apparently, the stupid technician "couldn't figure out what I did".

o_O'

And it was pretty simple, too.

But yeah, now whenever I go there, I leave asap.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
They these so call "Libraries" have Librarians, people who recommend books for you, these people are usually old and have read many MANY books in their lives, google (a computer) can't do that for you.

Psh. Google Can do it. Its gona have a Ai that rates books. any book that has the word harry potter gets a zero. And so forth.

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
Um. I disabled their security system and replaced Internet Explorer with a batch file that would first spam a bunch of programs then shut the pc down. Lol.

It wasn't cool. They overreacted, and I got charged with a 3rd Degree Misdemeanor. I had to pay them $50 because apparently, the stupid technician "couldn't figure out what I did".

o_O'

And it was pretty simple, too.

But yeah, now whenever I go there, I leave asap.

ROTF That's hilarious!!! Can't believe you did that.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
My friend did pretty much the same thing except the batch file erased part of C drive. He almost got charged with a felony.... o_o'

ReVolver

Reaction score
I actually temp replaced the library's technician while he was away (vacation) and they actually let me mess around with the filesystems and stuff xD well my only reward where coupons for free Animal Style fries at In-N-Out and first picks (checking out) on new books.

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
I can't understand how anyone would want to read a book off a glowing screen.

Reading articles on the internet is hard enough, imagine a nine-hundred page novel :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.