What cord do I need for my LCD?

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
I didn't place this question with my monitor thread as I feel it holds its own as a question. If this should have been placed with that thread than I apologize I just wanted to make sure it got the attention it deserved though I hope this shall prove a rather simple question for someone to assist me with. I recently purchased a LCD monitor though I have yet to receive it. I know however that it only comes with a crappy VGA cable though it is set up for DVI and HDMI inputs. I want the most performance out of this monitor that I can get as my computer will support any resolution with ease and then some. So here are a few simple questions:

1) MDMI is the best setup option right? This is my understanding.

2) So I need a chord, which do I need? My graphics card is dual GTX 295s in SLI obviously. So that's DVI out right? Do I need a DVI_D to HDMI chord. If so I see them for sell and you can get male to male, male to female, etc...which do I need?

Thanks for the assistance...

Okay I think I answered my own questions here after thinking for a bit. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I think I will need a chord that DVI_D (male) to HDMI (female). Only thing is I only see 700p and 1080p chords so far in my search. is that for resolution...will it not display 1200p? Sorry for being so noob but this is really not my area of expertise.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>Okay I think I answered my own questions here after thinking for a bit. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I think I will need a chord that DVI_D (male) to HDMI (female). Only thing is I only see 700p and 1080p chords so far in my search. is that for resolution...will it not display 1200p? Sorry for being so noob but this is really not my area of expertise

I think it would be male to male.

And there is no 1200p, it doesn't mean your resolution (edit, maybe I'm wrong about this, pretty confusing stuff wait for someone else's answer xD). 1080p is the highest level of HD viewing, it is full HD. For more info on this, read here.

Check that your monitor supports 1080p though, and not just 720 like some.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
>>Okay I think I answered my own questions here after thinking for a bit. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I think I will need a chord that DVI_D (male) to HDMI (female). Only thing is I only see 700p and 1080p chords so far in my search. is that for resolution...will it not display 1200p? Sorry for being so noob but this is really not my area of expertise

I think it would be male to male.

And there is no 1200p, it doesn't mean your resolution (edit, maybe I'm wrong about this, pretty confusing stuff wait for someone else's answer xD). 1080p is the highest level of HD viewing, it is full HD. For more info on this, read here.

Check that your monitor supports 1080p though, and not just 720 like some.

Okay I did some more research as well and yeah there is more to it than I had originally thought. What I found is that I believe you can support higher than 1080p going all the way up to 1440p @ 14.9 Gbps, whereas 1080p ranges anywhere from 6.68 Gbps (example: PS3) to 10.2 Gbps for the more advanced HD sources. The monitor I have ordered I believe has a native resolution of 1920x1200. Also I found no DVI-D to HDMI cables only a connector meaning I would still have to purchase two more cables. This is fine I guess if I have to, but am I going to see any additional input lag resulting from this? My guess is maybe a little but I don't know. And also again I could only find 1080p connectors and cables most of which from what I could tell are for setting up plasmas or lcd tvs not for computer monitors...sigh.

Also I checked out that link and it does kind of refer to the resolution or more how that device would handle native 1080p resolution. So...thanks but it actually left me more uncertain as to what I am looking for. I do appreciate your efforts though.

Any other takers?

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>Also I found no DVI-D to HDMI cables only a connector meaning I would still have to purchase two more cables.

What about these?
http://www.amazon.com/Kinamax-HDMI-DVI-D-Male-Male-Plated/dp/B000SSM4Y4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189056
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189056
(A DVI-D Dual Link Connection looks like this http://www.datapro.net/images/dvi_dd.gif)
(Info on DVI connections http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html)

Based on their images, they are all DVI-D Dual link. (God DVI has way too may connection types...)

As for the HDMI thing and 1080p, apparently both DVI-D and HDMI support it, however HMDI cords send Audio+Video, where DVI-D only sends video.
(Read from here http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=17428)

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
Fount it.

Well +rep to Sqrage whose name I always seem to see as Sprage for some reason. I'll never forget I think it was the 07 awards I put you as most unappreciated mod or something like that and I spelled you name incorrectly - it somewhat accentuated my point - though I didn't mean to - sorry. So I found a cable and after talking to technical support with CablestoGo.com I believe I have found a good product and yes it is a cable (not an adapter) and yes it is male to male that was needed - not what BenQ had led me to believe - this is why I was finding no appropriate cables. this is the cable that I ended up going with. Thanks for the assistance and I love your avatar btw never change it.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
HDMI vs DVI is no improvement in quallity
HDMI also offers sound thru the same cable.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
in addition current VGA vs DVI does not offer superb quallity in visuals. However the overhead a DVI cable provides is superior to VGA.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
HDMI vs DVI is no improvement in quallity
HDMI also offers sound thru the same cable.

Well this is not what the understanding that I have come to, and although it is true HDMI offers sound through the same cable this wont matter as my graphics card is DVI out so I am going to be using a DVI to HDMI cable. My monitor doesn't have speakers anyhow it just has a headphone jack that I probably wont ever care to use.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
in addition current VGA vs DVI does not offer superb quallity in visuals. However the overhead a DVI cable provides is superior to VGA.

And this from what I can tell is so far from the truth. Every major review site or technical forum disagrees with this.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.