Windows vs OSX

What operating system do you use?

• Total voters

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>But I think what the average 30+ year old wants is just to be able to walk into a store, and quickly buy their computer,
and have it setup in an hour and up and going.

The point is I'm not a 30 year old who who wants walk into a store and quickly buy my computer.

The average person knows more and more about computers as the days go on, computers are still a new technology and our generation, the 1st one to grow up with them is still very young.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only 2 votes for Windows 7 so far? :(

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score

The point is I'm not a 30 year old who who wants walk into a store and quickly buy my computer.

Yup, nor am I, I'm not even 20 yet.

The average person knows more and more about computers as the days go on, computers are still a new technology and our generation, the 1st one to grow up with them is still very young.

Yeah, and eventually people will know what they're doing, but a lot of them still don't!

Windows vs OSX or even Linux, is purely preference I guess.
However I know when I buy a Mac, the hardware is always great quality,
sure you could stick the same stuff on a PC, but it won't be that much cheaper assuming you build it yourself.

I'd rather pay a little more and be able to run OSX/Windows on the same machine, then just run Windows, but I like both.

And soon, I'll have the almost ultimate machine, possibly adding a 320GB Intel X25-M G2 as my primary OSX partition, and a 160GB for Win 7, so I'm excited, and looking at how empty my pockets are :banghead::eek::banghead:

Haha lol SSD = Solid State Dollars :D ^_^

meh I can't wait until I get to use Snow Leopard, hopefully all the bugs will be fixed before I get it :) lol

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Yup, nor am I, I'm not even 20 yet.

Yeah, and eventually people will know what they're doing, but a lot of them still don't!

Windows vs OSX or even Linux, is purely preference I guess.
However I know when I buy a Mac, the hardware is always great quality,
sure you could stick the same stuff on a PC, but it won't be that much cheaper assuming you build it yourself.

I'd rather pay a little more and be able to run OSX/Windows on the same machine, then just run Windows, but I like both.

And soon, I'll have the almost ultimate machine, possibly adding a 320GB Intel X25-M G2 as my primary OSX partition, and a 160GB for Win 7, so I'm excited, and looking at how empty my pockets are :banghead::eek::banghead:

Haha lol SSD = Solid State Dollars :D ^_^

meh I can't wait until I get to use Snow Leopard, hopefully all the bugs will be fixed before I get it :) lol

Did you see the comparison I did? It's like 300 dollars cheaper for a PC, that has better hardware. That's not a small amount of money - it's $300.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
The comparison? In this thread? no? or you mean the gaming laptop thread? if so yes I saw that.

Oh BTW, the point you're spending $2000+ on a machine, $300 isn't much imo, specially if it's for a Mac :)

PPS: Ever wonder why windows users never complain about not being able to run mac software on a PC? It's because they don't need to.

Uhh no, because the people using windows either: they don't know any different, or they're totally Mac haters.

I'd also point out, I don't really want to "run" windows software on a Mac, I want to run Windows software on the Windows OS, and I do.

You don't have the choice of running OSX, not unless it's hackintosh.

sqrage

Reaction score
>>You don't have the choice of running OSX, not unless it's hackintosh.

And who do you think is responsible for that?

But yea, I wouldn't run Mac even if I could, I mean they even charge you for Service Packs... how greedy is that? Making you pay to get an update that fixes their mistakes and adds features that should have already been there?...

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
And who do you think is responsible for that?

But yea, I wouldn't run Mac even if I could, I mean they even charge you for Service Packs... how greedy is that? Making you pay to get an update that fixes their mistakes and adds features that should have already been there?...

Apple is responsible, but fair enough having a specific set of hardware makes it more stable I think.

Charging for service packs? where did you hear that, I've had leopard for at least 6 months, updated to 10.5.8... I didn't pay anything?

sqrage

Reaction score
http://www.apple.com/macosx/

"Upgrade from Mac OSX Leopard for just $29"

Don't be fooled into thinking this isn't a service pack, just because they don't word it as such doesn't make it any different. All it does it tune up a previous OS, it's not a completely new OS.

Think of it this way, if Microsoft called Vista service pack 1, Vista 2.0, and charged 30 dollars for it, then it'd be the same as what Apple does.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
It is NOT a service pack, it is a new OS.
What do you think Windows 7 is, it's Vista with less problems, and how much do you think Microsoft are charging for Windows 7?

I upgraded SP's on Vista and XP, I've never noticed anything completely new, all it did was fix problems.

Snow Leopard introduces a new 32/64 bit kernel, Grand Central Dispatch, OpenCL, QuickTime X, better security features,
almost all of the applications that come with it (finder/safari etc..) have been re-written in 64-BIT code, and are much snappier and faster.
Expose, spaces, stacks, time machine etc... have all been improved . It's smaller by about 8GB too, they removed the old PPC binaries I think.

I think they've put a lot of work into SL, and it's certainly worth $29.

Apple's only screw up imo, is switching to base 10 counting!

Kind Regards

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
Windows 7 is the best.
For Windows XP fans, Windows 7 comes with a XP emulator that works well.
For Vista fans, a lightweight version of Vista with several revisions from Vista.

@OSX, I don't like the fact that some game companies leave out Mac from their list of consoles. (When I mean games, I mean those free games :p)
Also, I like the UI better on Windows.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
@OSX, I don't like the fact that some game companies leave out Mac from their list of consoles. (When I mean games, I mean those free games )
Also, I like the UI better on Windows.

Dual booting, or virtualizing Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 solves that.

I think Mac are going to take over soon, specially if 10.7 turns out to be something crazy and new.

Kind Regards

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
I love Ubuntu Linux. I recently (like 2-3 hours ago) installed it on my laptop because Windows would not work properly, and I already love it.
I've used it before, but not much. Now, I'm really having a good look at it, and seeing what its like, and man, it's great.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I should try Linux :O

This is a picture of my setup atm, Windows Vista 32 BIT, top right, Windows XP 32 to the left of it, Windows 7 64 BIT bottom right. OSX everywhere else :D

I got one space left, I think Linux could fit there :D
EDIT: NOTE this isn't my desktop, I only have one 23" screen, it's just I have 6 spaces :O

Anyone wanna post there desktops? :O

Kind Regards

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
WOW that's a lot of screens.
I'll post my desktop as soon as I figure out how in Ubuntu... But I need a new backgrounds *stares at Graphics Request board, wondering if he should post*

And yeah, Linux is cool. Especially once you get Wine. I'm installing Starcraft right now with it. :D

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
You should see what it looks like with 16 spaces per monitor, 8 30 inch monitors :O I'd like to see that too

Kind Regards

sqrage

Reaction score
>>I think Mac are going to take over soon, specially if 10.7 turns out to be something crazy and new.

Never going to happen. People stop trying to be hip and trendy after 35 and don't start trying to be until 16. People over and under those ages outweigh those that are in between. (not to mention only half, or less of those people would choose trendiness over functionality)

Not to mention "Dual booting, or virtualizing Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 solves that." I don't have to dual boot anything here and I still have every functionality that Mac could ever provide.

>>This is a picture of my setup atm, Windows Vista 32 BIT, top right, Windows XP 32 to the left of it, Windows 7 64 BIT bottom right. OSX everywhere else

I really don't see the use behind that other than to say "I can". But then, who can't?

(btw, there's a thread for showing your desktop, let's not derail this unless you're out of arguments. ;))

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
(btw, there's a thread for showing your desktop, let's not derail this unless you're out of arguments. ;))

He was out from the beginning.

Icy - Did you need to buy all those copies of windows?

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I come into contact with multiple operating systems on a regular basis. :p XP, Vista, Linux, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows 7. No OSX, though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.