Windows7 Fresh Start

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
So I got my first custom built system up and running with no problems. Set it to boot from disk. slipped the 7rc disk in, worked great. Then switched it back to boot from harddrive. It looks so amazing with all its led lights all light up like a christmas tree. I got lots of questions as always though.

Foxconn Renaissance MOBO
GTX275 GPU
Intel Core i7 2.66Ghz CPU
700 watt OCZ PSU
6 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows7RC 64-bit OS

I take it I should install chipset drivers. Where's the best place to get them? How do I know what to get?

What about updating the BIOS? Should I do that? How? lol.

My graphics card drivers won't install because it only supports vista and xp. I guess I must go to EVGAs site and download windows 7 drivers. I can't play the game that came with my comp! call of duty world at war.

Tell me everything I should do when starting a system with fresh OS and all new hardware, software-wise.

What are average temps for CPU/GraphicsCard/System Temp? At idle system temps are 35C and CPU is 32C I don't know how to see the graphics cards temp. I just look at the BIOS and all it tells me is CPU and System temps.

I have a SATA harddrive but the driver says its IDE controller.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Never heard of your motherboard.
But for chipset drivers I would start looking at the motherboard manufacturer's website, to see what type of chipset your motherboard has. Usually they've got the latest drivers on their website as well.

Same with BIOS. Updating BIOS should only be done when you're experiencing some kind of problem. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

New Operatingsystems + drivers = fail.
You should use Vista until win 7 is released, imo.
-Try checking Nvidia's website for drivers.

Same as above. Many new OS' don't support all software. It will probably take a couple of months before everything is working properly.

35 and 32 degrees C are excellent.
Around 80C is bad, but do-able. Above 100 = fail. :p
I believe my CPU idles at about 40C, and works on full load at about 70C.
EDIT: You should get EVEREST, it displays lots of useful information about your computer. Temperatures, etc.

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
Even better, I should pre-order windows7. Home premium. Should be all you would ever want right? Ultimate and the other one just have useless additional features. Only feature that stands out as useful is XP mode. But even without XP mode I should be able to install my old games like warcraft starcraft stronghold, right?

Correction to my temps: it idles at CPU 41C, SYS 44C. I set all the fans to run at high speed when it goes over 40C so they always run on high. I guess the cpu is cooler than the rest of the system because it has that huge dark knight heat sink and fan on it.

I like my mobo it has a cupcake on it! Its not one of the mainstream companys. But everything about it is good. See this pic>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186161&Tpk=foxconn renaissance
On games its supposed to overclock like a beast with high stability too!

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>I set all the fans to run at high speed when it goes over 40C so they always run on high.

I don't think that's necessary. Will probably reduce the lifespan of your fans.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
>>I set all the fans to run at high speed when it goes over 40C so they always run on high.

I don't think that's necessary. Will probably reduce the lifespan of your fans.

40C is fairly moderate.. id even say normal for light use, id have them at whatever is unnoticeable there, and then ramp it up to max around 50C or so

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
Yea, I set them all including cpu fan to
temps: 35,45,55,65,
speeds: 50, 60, 70, 80, 100

EVEREST is very good. The temps it reports are wrong though.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
EVEREST is very good. The temps it reports are wrong though.

Indeed.
All programs that report temperatures are wrong.
I believe only BIOS reports correct temperatures.
I find EVEREST farely accurate and decide to trust it. It's not like it's 20 degrees off or anything, so it doesn't really matter. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.