Arena WorpeX Arena

WorpeX

Reaction score
WorpeX Arena

Ladys and Gentlemen! Get ready for the most intense gladiator matches in history! 8 of the worlds best warriors have come today to bring to you the most thrilling single elimination tournament ever!

What the game is about...

WorpeX arena is a betting game, sort of like betting on a horse race. Exept in here, you bet on gladiators. The more you bet on a gladiator, the more money you gain to bet later on. If your gladiator loses, you obviously dont gain anything. At the end of the tournament the player with the most money wins.

The tournament that the AI Controlled units play in is single elimination. If they lose, they dont play again, if they win they move on the next round. There are currently 8 arena contestants battling it out for the win!

A couple of the contestants:

Crusha is not your average infernal. He is more like an experiment gone wrong, as scientists attempted to create a powerful loyal creature that would fight wars for them. They got half of him correct. Minutes after he was created he slew the scientists that brought him life. So much for loyalty.

-Melee-
Abilities: Immolation / Firebolt
Attack Type: Normal
Armor Type: Heavy
Primary Attribute: Strength

Bluu is a very shy creature, and reveals very little about himself. However, we do know that he is the leader of a makruka tribe not far from this very arena. From what we understand, he is here hoping to raise money for the tribe so they can have their annual dance off.

-Melee-
Abilities: Summon Prawn / Entangle
Attack Type: Magic
Armor Type: Medium
Primary Attribute: Intelligence

The current map version:
Currently the map is working the way I built it to work. The tournament works flawlessly from what I've seen in the last 5 or 6 tests. The contestants are all balanced with the exeption of one named Dr.Killsaw who has become a free win for anyone who plays him. The cameras are all working correctly and you can bet anywhere from 5-10-15-25-50 dollars on a contestant.

I get mixed reviews of the map alot of times, some people say its very well made but not fun to play, while others have fun playing it and really get into the betting function. I'd really like to make the map more fun for everyone and not just future gamblers.

What I need help with:
beta testers who are capable of finding bugs and problems with the current settings.

Hero makers who can make well balanced heros that are creative and fun to watch in the arena. I dont want to see heros that are immature or not up to par (quality wise) with the current heros. I would prefer heros to not have a custom model (I have dial up and it would take awile to download the map than.) All heros need a back story attached to them like the current ones above. What i'm planning to do with these new heros is make the tournament more random, instead of the current 8 heros fighting every time you play I want to make the game more random with differant contestants every time you play.

Idea Makers who can suggest new ideas into the map and keep the idea of the map fresh and differant from other maps. This is the most important thing in my book, as I am capable of doing the rest myself. (I dont really like making heros though. x.x)

WorpeX

Reaction score
are my posts invisible or something? no one ever replys to things i post on this forum.

stavious

Reaction score
I got a question and an idea for you.
Question: how are you going to make it completly random? (if it is going to be random). Let's say the Crusha and Bluu battle, and Crusha wins, then they can't battle again cause everyone knows Crusha will win. So what are you going to do about that?
Idea: You should make it so that players can sponser their own hero after a while. Meaning creating a new gladiator unit and buying upgrades and new weapons and sheilds for it. Or they can buy upgrades and new things for already existing Gladiators, so you will really have an effect it the come-out of the battle (to make it better make sure all Gladiators are also slowly upgraded with the time).
Good luck :) .

WorpeX

Reaction score
how are you going to make it completly random?

Well, its not completely random, i see where your coming from. This is why i'd like more heros to add into it so that you wont see the same 8 gladiators every time you play. Also, I've played this over 70 times in testing and everything, and I can tell you that I still lose bets. x.x.

But, on your idea, I actually had an idea like that originally I just wasn't sure how to implement that kind of a system. (and i'm still not exactly sure how i'd do that right about now).

An idea I had a little while ago, was to have a hero making thing at the start and the players would use that hero in the tournament instead of just watching computers all the time people can actually bet on their friends. I liked the idea alot, but I really dont enjoy making items/heros/abilities much. So it never really came out to anything. I like triggering and terraining. Everything else bores me. x.x Most of my heros are all stolen from older maps.

Contact me on b.net if you'd like to see the map. WorpeX@azeroth.

stavious

Reaction score
I know how you can make my idea work.
Have a hero tarvan, and when you select a hero, it allows you to buy upgrades for it. Now upgrading a unit, even one that isn't controlled by you is easy, you just say that it effects it in the Object Editor.
Also fighting yourself might get mor exciting, but then you can't bet. Imaigne, betting for your opponent and then losing on purpose :eek: , tough.
The world of gambling is hard, but I hope your map works out :D .

WorpeX

Reaction score
Ya, i see what you mean. That shouldn't be too hard, I might try that. Thanks. ^^

WorpeX

Reaction score
i'll post the map so people can test it out and give suggestions and all that jazz.

This version doesn't have stavious's suggestion yet, I havn't had time to implement that.

stavious

Reaction score
Hey I tested your map and these are the constructive critism notes I have for you:
1. The HP and Mana points are too high. Before the fights, when it says: this competitor has xxxx hp and xxxxx mana, the numbers are too big, making it hard to compare. Make them smaller (a lot smaller - in the hundreds or thousands only) to make the game simpler.
2. The battles are way too long. They take ages, and it gets boring to watch after two or three rounds. Find a way to make them shorter (less HP stronger attacks; more use of spells etc.) and then it will be more fun (since you don't really participate in the fight, just watch it.
3. Not enough inital money. I bet 15 on the first fight and lost and then couldn't play on :( . Try balancing it more so it's not such a one lose K.O. betting system.

Now for the good things:
1. Very nice system for betting and gladiator display.
2. AMAZING camera angles and moves. At the beginning of the fights the camera effects are great.
3. Nice mini pic for the map at the start (where you choose the map and press play, that pic with the Admiral Proudmore model is really nice).

Suggestions:
1. Display a short info text about each gladiator in the Quests menu. Make optional missions that describe each gladiator so that the players can always read about each one later on.
2. Can the icon on the betting inns from books to maybe gold pic icons (there are a few variation, so use them for different types of bets; eg. 5 gold bet one icon 10 gold bets another icon etc.).
3. Change the loading screen picture, it has nothing to do with the map.

In general I think I can have fun playing this map when it's done :) .
Keep working hard ;) .

WorpeX

Reaction score
Thanks alot of your suggestions! Actually for 1, all the numbers are in the 100s, exept the game adds in .00 to the end of everything, so they look alot larger than they really are, I dont know how to fix this either. :/. I'll use 2 definatly, but I dont really understand number 3 too well. Right now, you start with 15 gold and you can bet 5 dollars, 10 or 15 on the gladiators. So, as long as you dont waste it all at the start of the game, you shouldn't be broke that fast. I can make the game start with 20 gold so that people dont waste right off at the start though.

As fast as the quest menu thing is, you should check before you suggest, as its already in the game. :p They all have a biography looking exacly like the ones from bluu and crusha in my first post. (in fact that was copy and pasted).

Good, idea with the books and gold thing ill do that...books dont really make much sense exept for the books color (red book for red gladiator, blue for blue).

The minimap picture you wouldn't understand unless you've played more of my maps. In all my map, admiral proudmore represents me (worpex). Since I love murlocs, he always has murloc abilities. Also, you might notice that worpex is sitting at the arena watching over. he is also at the very end of the game in the victory sequence. (although he is cut off, i have to make the camera little differant so you can see him better. :/)

R

RomanKing

sweet

that was a pretty good game I liked it, once you implement stavious's ideas post it again. If you want I can host it a lot on b-net to get it out there...

WorpeX

Reaction score
nice! thanks roman! I'll start working as soon as I can!

Oh, stavious and roman, If you'd like your own little character for betting tell me what unit you want and I can put it in, all you'd have to do is type -(yourname) and only you can access this guy. ^^ (right now, you can do -thepits -bigbadtroll and -youcantseeme for other characters besides the peasant).

R

RomanKing

nice

alrigh thats kool, sure i would like my own character, hey if you could check out my new thread called RPG Ideas and read through that, it would help

Mr Zero

Junior Regular (Got the T-shirt)
Reaction score
WorpeX said:
Actually for 1, all the numbers are in the 100s, exept the game adds in .00 to the end of everything, so they look alot larger than they really are, I dont know how to fix this either. :/

I assumed you have done it like this:

Code:
Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String((Life of (Triggering unit))))

but to get rid off the .00 do this action insted:

Code:
Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String((Integer((Life of (Triggering unit))))))

What happened?
You just have to Conversion - Convert Integer to String and when do Conversion - Convert Real to Integer

Mr Zero

Reaction score
BUG FOUND!!

when the units was finish a fight will be healed, BUT the curse, spells and etc. is not being remove...

WorpeX

Reaction score
Ah! Thanks alot zero for the triggers and bug, I completely forgot about that.

Same for you as them, if you'd like a unit as well just tell me what you'd like and i'll add you in. ^^ I'll check your post out too roman.

Mr Zero

Reaction score
WorpeX said:
Well, its not completely random, i see where your coming from. This is why i'd like more heros to add into it so that you wont see the same 8 gladiators every time you play. Also, I've played this over 70 times in testing and everything, and I can tell you that I still lose bets. x.x.

But, on your idea, I actually had an idea like that originally I just wasn't sure how to implement that kind of a system. (and i'm still not exactly sure how i'd do that right about now).

What about you make, lets say about 64 hero's (I know this sounds alot, but...) when make a random system (I can make a test if you want?) in the beging of the game, there choosing 8 randomly heros?

there will be like 10000000000 billons of way to combine the hero's
(just subtract 1 every time you have one like: 64 * 63 * 62 * 61 * and so on up to 8 hero's)
So

Nobody can know for sure what hero's there will be in the game

The game will not be to "stright" and won't become boring on one game

WorpeX

Reaction score
What about you make, lets say about 64 hero's (I know this sounds alot, but...) when make a random system (I can make a test if you want?) in the beging of the game, there choosing 8 randomly heros?

there will be like 10000000000 billons of way to combine the hero's
(just subtract 1 every time you have one like: 64 * 63 * 62 * 61 * and so on up to 8 hero's)
So

Nobody can know for sure what hero's there will be in the game

The game will not be to "stright" and won't become boring on one game

Ya, I know I need alot of heros but I really hate making heros.(in fact, killalot, mr.murloc and stinky are all from other maps of mine. Hunter killer is obviously stolen from sc. My hero creativity is pretty low. :/) Thats why i'd really like the help of a few people who enjoy making heros alot.

I know exactly how this picking will work as well, I'll just have the hero picking exactly like the arena picks. (all heros in one region and it will just pick a random hero from that region.)

Right now, from all of your suggestions this is what I have done:

Version v3
-Fixed bug with buffs staying on after match completes.
-Fixed the match-up stats so they relate values that are not decimals.
-Players start with 20 gold, to help with people blowing all their money on the first match.
-Added many people to the list of helpers. ^^

That was the easy stuff anyway, i've been working on rebalacing the game completely to make the game shorter. I also had anouther suggestion to make the match winners a bit more random. (so the say crusha doesn't always beat bluu every time they fight. ) For this, he suggested to make the attacks more random like, 20 damage or 50 damage a hit depending on how lucky he gets.

WorpeX

Reaction score
Sure, ^^ Sounds great, my name is WorpeX@azeroth if you can contact me. I'm on right now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.