~Apocalypse~

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
Yes this replicates the style of most other survival maps, including notd aftermath.

Thanks for feedback both of you.

Link to some of your music if you got any uploaded, Yosh. I'll take a listen and see if your style fits what we need.

Also do explain more about your open-ended stuff.

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
Yes this replicates the style of most other survival maps, including notd aftermath.

Link to some of your music if you got any uploaded, Yosh. I'll take a listen and see if your style fits what we need.

I'm up for helping just contact me via Msn..

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
Well Hero, as we talked about earlier we really need another jasser, so if you are up for working on such stuff then that would be awesome.

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
Well Hero, as we talked about earlier we really need another jasser, so if you are up for working on such stuff then that would be awesome.

Yep..I'll go online as soon as I can..

For now I gotta do this English essay stuff
mad.gif

Y

Yosh

By open-ended I meant more random - as in, possibilities for replay; are the monster spawns going to have some variety to them each time I play? Are certain things going to be in different places each time to ensure that I don't just "learn my way around the map" (as is common in this type of Survival map, I find people have a set route they do once they get used to playing it). If you think about it, you could remedy this and make the game alot more strategic and frightening by blocking off certain passages each time - this means you could have the same map every time but by doing this what you have (in terms of pathing) is a random map generator like in Diablo. Whether or not you then make the blocking debri destructible is up to you.

I don't really have anything to show at the moment that would be suitable as you're probably looking for soundscapes. If you're looking for a really atmospheric way of approaching music though, you could ensure that no songs are longer than 2 minutes, and then change the playlist depending on what's happening, say, label different pieces of music "action1, action2" and "tension1, tension2", "dispair1 dispair2". If it's possible to run an mp3 as a 3d sound you can also add layers of atmospheric noise that's not necessarily music (as in something like Silent Hill) that appears in different places on the map, and then run longer music tracks that build up over the top of that.

If you look at a game like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, the music is arranged into instruments which are faded in and out depending on what's happening, so there's maybe a bottom layer of an atmospheric bed, that's always present, then the next layer would maybe be strings for tension, and then the drums and bass come in over the top of that in action sequences. That's a pretty complex way of doing things that WC3 probably couldn't handle (especially as you're dealing with several players) but it's still interesting to know and look at.

Anyway, I'll have a mess about over the next week or so and if Egor and I come up with anything evil-sounding enough I'll upload it. Mwahahahaaa

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
Hmm, blocking off pasages you say. That's a really good idea. Just have a lot of trash places as blocking and such. Nice. Thanks for the idea!

Quests available will vary, like, you can't do all quests in the map in one play-through and many of the quests will probably require you to be a certain class or a certain amount of players doing it while others are doing something else. So 2 people go do a quest to retrieve something valuable while the rest defend themselves at some point or something.

About sound we can't import too much as the map is allready too big size wise.

Somatic

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I like the idea of having different objective by having different classes in the group. Wonder if there is gonna be more interesting ideas coming out of this map. Like having "interactive" doodad which shatters when shot (Which is crazy, if it really is implimented) to block off enemy invaders. Or rather stuff which haven being used much in maps due to physics contstrain.

Y

Yosh

Hmm, blocking off pasages you say. That's a really good idea. Just have a lot of trash places as blocking and such. Nice. Thanks for the idea!

Yeh... it's a pretty simple tweak too. You just have X amount of blockages on the map and then remove different ones each time at startup (but not in a way that will disrupt the quests too much). Then it builds story a little, more atmosphere "this tree/lamp post has fallen down, blocking the way" or "this is on fire" and "how did this lorry crash here". All classics. :D

Have you got some sort of system built around fire yet? Ie dummy fire units with permanent immolation which replicate themselves on the scenery? If you're gonna have guns and zombies there's gotta be fire.

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
We only have a part-time modeller working on the project, Somatic, so I'm afraid that we are about done with most model related stuff (besides from characters and weapons), but if we had doodads that could shatter then it should not be that big a problem to have the pieces being movable by the gravity gun as it would just be like any other model. But again, it all depends on how well we will be able to actually make the physics work, so far most stuff is speculations and ideas, most jassing is not done, we have mostly made all terrain and design such as models and skins.

So far we only have decorative fire, Yosh. But it shouldn't be too hard to have dummy units with immolation. We might just do that.

Somatic

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
If your gonna have that idea, give them an aura and change the buff to the burning effect, and attach it to the chest of the units. That way it will look really like they are BURNING!

Y

Yosh

If your gonna have that idea, give them an aura and change the buff to the burning effect, and attach it to the chest of the units. That way it will look really like they are BURNING!

When units are hit by immolation they get a little burning effect anyway. One thing you could do is give the fire dummy units a "replicate" skill (similar to raise dead) which can turn nearby corpses or trees into fire. But you don't want it getting out of control hehe :eek:

DeathWing

Reaction score
Looks very cool anyway. This will be great map if it will be ended :p

You thinked about blizzard-map maker work? ^^

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
I hardly think this will get us any sort of recognisation from Blizzard, but hey, it would be cool, it never hurts to dream.

Thanks for the support, DeathWing.

Y

Yosh

What sort of lore is it going to use? Just judo-christian demons or something more universal like in Shin Megemi Tensei?

Always thought the Destroyer model would make a good Baphomet...

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
I don't have much knowledge of our story concept really, it wasn't me who made anything on it so I cannot say what is in and what is not.

Suggestions are allways welcome though. Nothing is written in stone.

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
I pull all my support from this project. I am discontent with the leadership and so do no longer wish to be affiliated with Apocalypse at this point forward. If anybody got any further questions regarding the project then they should no longer be made in this thread but taken to the official forum.

I have not left the team, yet, but at the current way that things are run then it probably won't be long untill I do so.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Right now the map size is 3,117 KB, but doesn't have many doodads or terrain (at least the version I got).

I am sad to see you leaving ragingspeedhorn, but It's your decision.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.