Best Anti-virus program

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right now I'm using ESET which is great, though it costs money. It has excellent antivirus protection and updates very regularly.

I use it too and it's excellent.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I also use Eset, Smart security that is;)
And to complete it I do a scan once a week with Malwarebytes Anti Malware, just in those rare cases when Eset actually miss something:p

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score

Those links don't prove anything...The first link shows the speed and resource usage of a scan along with the footprint, but who really cares anymore? An antivirus will barely even dent newer computers and if you're scanning, speed and resource use shouldn't matter as much as the proficiency of the scan.

BitDefender wasn't even mentioned on that site and it's tied with Kaspersky as being the best anti-virus. (Personal testing and the opinion of many...many anti-virus test/review sites out there)

The second link doesn't work.

And the third one doesn't even compare Norton apart from the first chart.

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
Those links don't prove anything...The first link shows the speed and resource usage of a scan along with the footprint, but who really cares anymore? An antivirus will barely even dent newer computers and if you're scanning, speed and resource use shouldn't matter as much as the proficiency of the scan.
It matters more than you might think. I, for one, don't want up to 25% I/O performance loss. If you don't mind that, it's your choice. :p

BitDefender wasn't even mentioned on that site and it's tied with Kaspersky as being the best anti-virus. (Personal testing and the opinion of many...many anti-virus test/review sites out there)

The second link doesn't work.

And the third one doesn't even compare Norton apart from the first chart.
You can go directly to the main page (the 3rd link), click the "Comparatives / Reviews" link on the left menu, then select any of the tests, and you can view the test results directly. Hope this helps. :)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I changed from Norton to Eset, I scanned with both (Norton, when before I unistalled and Eset when I had installed), both had the most recent virus definitions. Norton showed that I had no viruses, but when I changed to Eset it showed 2 trojans.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
If we're having a product review battle, I want to join in on teh search for teh sites!

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/index2.html

#13 of 20 AntiVirus products

Based on score.

http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-security-and-firewall/norton-antivirus-2008-with/4505-3667_7-32588377.html

Although it's on the 2008 version, it does show consumer ratings.

http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-security-and-firewall/norton-antivirus-2009/4505-3667_7-33246574.html

This is the 2009 version. Shows some flaws, but mostly the customer disatisfaction.

------

In comparison, I'll take Eset, since that it what I use.

http://reviews.cnet.com/security-and-encryption/eset-smart-security-3/4505-3688_7-33365031.html

Eset Smart Security 3 offers best of breed antimalicious software protection

As you can see, Norton is not that terrible of an antivirus, though there are better alternatives (and from what I'm hearing from user testimonials, it lacks some of the virus coverage of other antivirus software).

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
That first link seems like BS, in all my experience Avast has pwnd McAffe.

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
UndeadDragon said:
When I changed from Norton to Eset, I scanned with both (Norton, when before I unistalled and Eset when I had installed), both had the most recent virus definitions. Norton showed that I had no viruses, but when I changed to Eset it showed 2 trojans.
Was this the latest software version, or an older one? Comparing against any older version of a virus scanner, regardless of the brand, is generally not the best idea because the virus landscape changes so quickly.

Whitesock said:
If we're having a product review battle, I want to join in on teh search for teh sites!
Fair enough. :) Thanks for the links.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.