Discussion Best/Favourite Guitarist?

Whos your favourite guitarist?

• Total voters

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
Finally, somebody else who loves DT! And don't get started on Portnoy. :shades:
Metropolis solo for the win!

Quote from a JP live setup video: *in front of huge speakers, explaining a control box* "... and this knob controls the distortion, this one controls how fast Earth turns, and this one controls how many people die in a second."

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Nice one. Owned!

It's Li, not Lee, and his writing style is repetative and only hard on Guitar Hero. Actually, the song isn't hard. It's the intro that's difficult to play, and that's on keyboards. He overuses the Digiwham and everything he does sounds screwed up and show-offy.

This made me sick. I would LOVE to see ANYONE try to play Operation Ground N Pound without screwing up. I have great respect for the man, but, I 100% doubt that Jimi Hendrix could do it. Try playing at Herman's tempo...try being self taught like him, and try using the whammy bar like him. And no, the song isn't just hard on Guitar Hero, Through the fire and flames is insane, no matter what it's on.

On another note that doesn't utterly piss me off, on this list I'm going to have to go with Slash.

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
Through the Fire and Flames isn't that difficult to play. The intro is played on keyboard as stated before, then the guitar comes in with tremolo picking on the E-string. Verses and chorus is easy shit to play, same with bridges and interludes and everything in between. The only difficult guitar part is the second part of the solo where Herman Li hides his failure in more special effect than it is known to mankind.
I have great respect for the man, but, I 100% doubt that Jimi Hendrix could do it.

You're probably right since not even Herman Li can do it (And that wasn't meant to sound like Herman Li is better than Hendrix).

Edit: As for great a guitarist, you totally forgot Dimebag Darrel (Pantera, Damageplan).

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Slash is rediculously overrated... he isn't creative at all, he's simply sufficient.

Herman Li is awful for those who have been to a Dragonforce concert. You can barely hear what they're playing. In addition, they speed up their songs in the record studio...

Both are way overrated guitarists. I mean, even Disturbed's guitarist has become better than the two (since the new album at least). Playing fast certainly does not equal good.

And yeah, Dimebag is awesome :D

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Found something interesting on Slash. His real name is Saul Hudson and he's from England..

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
Quite obvious he wasn't born with the name Slash.

Dimebag > Slash > Herman Li

The distortion riff in Pantera - Cemetery Gates has the be one of the best ones ever.

Listen and enjoy while Dimebag works his magic.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Quite obvious he wasn't born with the name Slash.

Dimebag > Slash > Herman Li

The distortion riff in Pantera - Cemetery Gates has the be one of the best ones ever.

Listen and enjoy while Dimebag works his magic.

I dunno but if my name was Saul I think I'd change it to.

lord dakoth

Reaction score
I don't see Zakk Wylde in this list. This makes me upset that he falls under the "other" classification. He used to be Ozzy Osbourne's guitarist. Go to youtube and search "zakk wylde sold my soul." Most amazing solo ever.

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
You want a great solo? Search up Michael Angelo Batio on Youtube and watch the double guitar solo. It's amazing.

As for Deathboy312, I don't think -rep was necessary for an opinion. I'm sure somebody who's been on the forums since 2006 would know. Not that I'm insulting you, and not that I intend to start flame wars on this thread. I'm just suggesting that Herman Li is a symbol of a plebeian future to any self-respecting guitarist. All differences aside, there's not much else worth arguing over. Confide in the fact that if Jimi Hendrix could come back to life and take a few years to get his head out of the 70's and learn today's technology, he could play anything Herman Li could. It will avoid any massacre that you'd face for insulting him (or bettering somebody in relation to him) on a thread like this. :thup:

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like Dragonforce with Herman Li as guitarist, but I have heard that he is not so good live, so my second guitarist would have to be Joe Satrani. I am a guitarist myself, so I love a good guitar song with a kick-ass guitarist. :thup:

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
A lot better than Slash... I don't know why Slash is up there but eddie van halen isn't.

Goblinman007

Reaction score
Halen is good. But only at tapping.
Frusciante is a genious. But he only lives in the shadow of...
Jimi Hendrix!

Goblinman007

Reaction score
Oh, and Hetfield is good too, hell, he's my idol. Theres just too much guitar-playing in many Metallica songs. And Hendrix is better ;D

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
Bass would be Les Claypool

Primus has to be one of the greatest bands ever, and that's undisputable. Les sure can kick out some great tunes (Tommy the Cat).

And, just to remind all of you mortals that view this thread, John Petrucci is still the best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.