Breaking my addiction

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
After many years I'm going to give it up. But, I have questions for people who have given it up, is it true what they say? It's like a drug?

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
No. You get bored and you quit. The only craving I get is when my cousin tells me how cool WoW is. We used to play forever together. But if you make it impossible to come back, like deleting your character, you'll stop for sure.

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
After many years I'm going to give it up.

Towards the end of playing, I was just online for raids, and everyone in our guild had everything so I stopped playing when the Xpac came out cause my interest had waned.

Prior to being done with the game, I had wondered what I would be doing in place of playing Wow, if I'd be hanging out with friends more often and whatnot, and for me... that is not the case (lol). I spend more time making music / animating and doing my own little things.

I have questions for people who have given it up, is it true what they say? It's like a drug?

Technically to be qualified as a drug, its something that people are compelled to do, even if they don't get enjoyment out of it. If you are at that stage, cut yourself off from it, just don't pay for it.

So I'd say yes, pending on the player, it could be deemed a drug.

I had a friend who went to an anonymous help group because he was playing non-stop, had 3 accounts, bought characters, gold, arena ratings, etc and couldn't stop himself.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Towards the end of playing, I was just online for raids, and everyone in our guild had everything so I stopped playing when the Xpac came out cause my interest had waned.

Prior to being done with the game, I had wondered what I would be doing in place of playing Wow, if I'd be hanging out with friends more often and whatnot, and for me... that is not the case (lol). I spend more time making music / animating and doing my own little things.

Technically to be qualified as a drug, its something that people are compelled to do, even if they don't get enjoyment out of it. If you are at that stage, cut yourself off from it, just don't pay for it.

So I'd say yes, pending on the player, it could be deemed a drug.

I had a friend who went to an anonymous help group because he was playing non-stop, had 3 accounts, bought characters, gold, arena ratings, etc and couldn't stop himself.

Thats really sad to hear. I would really like to get into web design since I'm done with WoW...but have no idea where to get started lol.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
It loses its hold over time.

I went from 8 months, to 4, to 2 and then 1. I may go back, may not. All depends on life.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
It loses its hold over time.

I went from 8 months, to 4, to 2 and then 1. I may go back, may not. All depends on life.

Well, I hope I don't. I need to stop. My grades are slipping and everything else is losing it's priority in my life.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I just up and quit one day when my prescript ran out. I was addicted, but I had been getting tired of buff-nerf-buff and being a mage in Pre-BC, where we had little chance of hurting someone in a battleground or arena, I wasn't having much fun.

I haven't subscribed again to this day. I sometimes want to go back, just because I miss the customizable interface, addons, macros, raiding, all that stuff, but I remember how repetitive the game was after a while, and don't feel like paying $15 a month or spending all the time.

I'll admit I've been doing a lot more of other things on the computer to replace WoW, but most of it is a lot more productive. (Programming and music-making, as well as Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, and a few other games).

It may be a bit hard at first to give it up, since you were just playing it the other day, but when you try to log on and you see the 'Your account has expired' message, you don't really want to bother.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Hah, yeah. I got off of WoW this school year, and got hooked into girlfriends pretty much. I'm getting tired of girlfriends though, I had 11 first semester. I plan to have and keep only one this semester, and it seems to be going pretty well.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Cancel the account. Every time you feel the urge to play, find something more constructive to do. Go learn programming.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I never started playing. Why?
Cause I didn't want to pay for it myself (parents wouldn't pay).
My computer is too crappy for me to be able to enjoy it peacefully, without lag. Video card and internet-wise D=
I'm not that much at home. Well I am but you get the point.

Also, in my own mind, WoW is lame. Not trying to offend people, but it's what keeps me from trying to play it, or other MMORPG :p

Good luck, find something that you like to do, and is productive and will help you out later on.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
I never started playing. Why?
Cause I didn't want to pay for it myself (parents wouldn't pay).
My computer is too crappy for me to be able to enjoy it peacefully, without lag. Video card and internet-wise D=
I'm not that much at home. Well I am but you get the point.

Also, in my own mind, WoW is lame. Not trying to offend people, but it's what keeps me from trying to play it, or other MMORPG :p

Good luck, find something that you like to do, and is productive and will help you out later on.

You can't really criticize it though if you don't play it. :p
You can just say, why SHOULD I play WoW? I have much better things to do, haha. xD Thats my opinion though.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I've tried the trials if that counts :p

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Grab a big hammer, break your modem and try going outside, with friends. :thup:

If that doesn't work, try limiting yourself by time. You can install a parental program to give you limited internet access.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Grab a big hammer, break your modem and try going outside, with friends. :thup:

If that doesn't work, try limiting yourself by time. You can install a parental program to give you limited internet access.

Why him?! Just make him give me his account info and I'll be his personal WoW guardian...

You're grounded for the weekdays, from WoW! Go git lief!

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
Have you tried getting a new game, that is far less time-demanding?

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Tell a friend/parent to give them access to the parental control? Delete your characters and cancel your account? Perm ban your account? There are ways to quit, if you really want to quit.

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Move on to something more creative, like drawing... or playing musical instruments..

I can't say much here, when in fact I'm a class honor student and extremely addicted to FPS, basketball, manga and Anime!

Focus on sports and study as best as you can to catch up w/ grades.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
I always get bored with characters, using the same abilities over and over and over for hours on end. So I had a habit of making multiple characters and switching between them so I could play different classes. But it just got too boring and I eventually stopped. I never even got anything to lvl 60, highest was 56.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
After many years I'm going to give it up. But, I have questions for people who have given it up, is it true what they say? It's like a drug?

Don't tell anyone, but I played wow once aswell. Only for a few weeks on a free server just to try it out. My friend told me that the server I played on where one of the closest to a payed server.
I found it like any other mmorpg I played, I play for a while and it is really "WOW!", but then I wake up and see how meaningless the running forth and back doing the same things over and over again really is. Which in turn results in the game being completely removed from the system:)

And no, the games themselves are not addicting:eek:
What you are craving for according to me is more in the terms of doing things with other people. I suggest either join a great forum like the helper:) Another alternative is to join a community or actually go out and do real stuff with your friends:thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.