Arena Colosseum

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
It's neat. +rep

hope to see more of this.

btw, shadow priests dont heal themselves.. o_O

Some suggestions would be to make more large scale battles, right now a healer can out-heal damage from that AI you got there. Make units have more HP so it involves some sort of micro management from the player.

As I've gotten positive feedback so far, you will see more of this.

Shadow priests can heal themselves just fine. You can do it in two different ways.
The easiest one is to just right click on yourself.
The more complicated way is to attack a unit that is attacking the shadow priest. Since healing is a support skill, it will not heal the enemy, but the target of the enemy instead, which is the shadow priest.
If the enemy changes target, the shadow priest will change target to the enemy's new target as well.

As for the large scale battles. If I can make the map run smooth with lots of units, I'm all for that. :)
In the starting phases of this project I wanted to make it a melee map where you could train masses of very custom units. It's gone in a different direction since then, but I could always just give more units to each player. Maybe the host (or vote) could decide how many units every player should have.

The AI is an excuse of an AI really. They don't even get the same amount of skills as you. I just throw random items at them at the start. I just made it really quick so you could enter the arena and try out some skills if you couldn't play it with a friend.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Oh,
You Missed My Post,
Well Go Look At It Now That You Are Here,
Forgot To Mention Priest Can Heal Self,
Once Again I Say To You,
Good Job,

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

(The pyramid format again! yay!)

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Oh,
You Missed My Post,
Well Go Look At It Now That You Are Here,
Forgot To Mention Priest Can Heal Self,
Once Again I Say To You,
Good Job,

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

(The pyramid format again! yay!)

hehe, nice pyramids you're making. I did miss your post. Thank you for kind rap words. :)
(Are you sure it's rap by the way? I thought rap was supposed to talk down on things... :p)

So you'd like to control your spells? What about a compromise? I can add 6 ability buttons that will affect the 6 corresponding items. Clicking on them do not activate the skills directly, but bring them to the front of the queue instead. Would that help?

You're right about the map being pointless after a few rounds. Do you think the ideas for changes I listed in post 8 could help? It's what I'm currently working on, so here's me hoping

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
hehe, nice pyramids you're making. I did miss your post. Thank you for kind rap words. :)
(Are you sure it's rap by the way? I thought rap was supposed to talk down on things... :p)

So you'd like to control your spells? What about a compromise? I can add 6 ability buttons that will affect the 6 corresponding items. Clicking on them do not activate the skills directly, but bring them to the front of the queue instead. Would that help?

You're right about the map being pointless after a few rounds. Do you think the ideas for changes I listed in post 8 could help? It's what I'm currently working on, so here's me hoping

Well....nope.YOu must make somthing on the spells that will make the game moore interesting.........the problem is that some of the spells are too imba, example- when i tested it with 1 fr i used only fallen priest and the mage to kill his enitire army!!!!

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Well....nope.YOu must make somthing on the spells that will make the game moore interesting.........the problem is that some of the spells are too imba, example- when i tested it with 1 fr i used only fallen priest and the mage to kill his enitire army!!!!

Well, that's good for you :)
I'm sure some spells are better than others. I haven't had anyone to balance them with yet.
Even so, I'm pretty sure there are counters to a mage and a priest. If you win with 2 units vs 4, then you've most likely played better.

The problem as I see it is that you don't necessarily see what you do right and wrong since a lot of the combat goes on auto. Uncertainty of whether you're doing something well or bad makes it very difficult to learn how you should be playing to win.
There's nothing I can do about that exactly, other than removing the skill queue, in which case I might as well end the project altogether.
Instead I want to add experience and character development on a small scale. I'm hoping this will keep players interested for enough time to make them familiar with the game. After that, the learning process will come much easier, and player will begin seeing what to do and what not to do.

In theory anyway

thewrongvine

Reaction score
In response to Bloodcount, that's because it's an AI with different spells. Of course some spells are better than others, but when you play with players, they can just counter it.

In response to Builder Bob, I didn't intend it to be rap. :D But OK.
The ideas in "post 8" are cool. My opinions:
-Yes to races; it's more diverse and fun, people can be independent and not everyone will be the same
-Maybe to heroes; units are kind of like heroes right now, stats are cool and make it more diverse for players, but... eh
-Maybe to Experience; well Healers get EXP for healing?, maybe make it so that every kill your team gets, it adds a triggered counter to that player, at the end of the round, players get these tome-like items and they choose to give them to which unit, makes it more strategic
-NEW IDEA; leading from that, every few rounds or even after every round, there should be a SAFE BASE where people can get new spells, organize spells, set their experience tomes to units as above, and its a rest time
-Yes to Goals; ...

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
In response to Builder Bob, I didn't intend it to be rap. :D But OK.

My mistake. What is Rappunk then?

The ideas in "post 8" are cool. My opinions:
-Yes to races; it's more diverse and fun, people can be independent and not everyone will be the same
-Maybe to heroes; units are kind of like heroes right now, stats are cool and make it more diverse for players, but... eh
-Maybe to Experience; well Healers get EXP for healing?, maybe make it so that every kill your team gets, it adds a triggered counter to that player, at the end of the round, players get these tome-like items and they choose to give them to which unit, makes it more strategic
-NEW IDEA; leading from that, every few rounds or even after every round, there should be a SAFE BASE where people can get new spells, organize spells, set their experience tomes to units as above, and its a rest time
-Yes to Goals; ...

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

I've gotten a long way of changing the units to heroes now. It's like you say, not that different. The only real addition are the stats and xp. Stats will determine the power of hero's skills. Xp will be given for both damaging and healing that is actually dealt. overdamage and overhealing will not be given xp for.

What would you like the tomes to do? It could maybe be a xp tome for the winner as a bonus. It shouldn't be stat points though, as stat increases will be very sparse, and very powerful.
I'm making it so when you get a new level, you will get to choose your next skill, or at random a stat point instead. Stat points that will be randomized are move/str/agi/int/hp. If you have a warrior that gets an int increase, you might want to just take a skill as normal, but a mage should get a lot more powerful spells if you opt for the int increase. It's like the board game Blood Bowl if you've played that.

Isn't the starting area safe enough for a safe base? Losers go back to the safe base, while winners continue fighting the next challenger. I could send everyone back to the safe base if that is better. The current thought was to make it like it is in the game Rune, where the winner stays and doesn't have to go to the back of the queue.

Daicos

Reaction score
im sure u no about this but just thought id say... i tried to play and well
i started and it was working fine... then it just quit... and each time i try it gets further and further... but still doesnt work... is it cause im on a mac?

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
im sure u no about this but just thought id say... i tried to play and well
i started and it was working fine... then it just quit... and each time i try it gets further and further... but still doesnt work... is it cause im on a mac?

Aw, sorry about that. I'm using the function UnitDamagePoint() which I've read causes the game to crash on mac.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
LOL, rappunk is a member of thehelper.net :D.

Well, I guess so. Then safe zone is OK as it is now.

As for the tomes, they won't be really like tomes - more of counters for counting. Like say you get 10 kills, you will get 10 tomes/counters. In the safe zone, you can choose to give which unit their own amount of EXP so its more strategic. For example, you can choose to give 4 to the Warrior since you think right now your Warrior isn't tanking well, then give 3 to the Priest so it can heal better, and give 1 to the others or whatever, or none at all to one guy.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
LOL, rappunk is a member of thehelper.net :D.
Hmmm...
I searched up some of his posts.
Then I realized, I always skip them.
All capitalized words,
I can't read that

Sorry Rappunk23
No disrespect

Well, I guess so. Then safe zone is OK as it is now.

As for the tomes, they won't be really like tomes - more of counters for counting. Like say you get 10 kills, you will get 10 tomes/counters. In the safe zone, you can choose to give which unit their own amount of EXP so its more strategic. For example, you can choose to give 4 to the Warrior since you think right now your Warrior isn't tanking well, then give 3 to the Priest so it can heal better, and give 1 to the others or whatever, or none at all to one guy.

Could work. I'll consider it if the current changes aren't very welcomed in the next release.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I've updated the first post with new information and a new map.

-- New in this release --
  • Races - An attempt to add a bit more diversity and identity to armies.
  • Heroes - Every player will get control of 7 heroes, which can gain experience for dealing damage and healing lost hit points. Between battles you can choose new skills or stats for those that level up.
  • More skills - I've added some more skills with new graphics along with them. However, I've spent most of the time recoding systems and ironing out bugs, so there are nowhere near the amount of skills there should be.
  • Fully playable AI - Add computer players and beat the AI. It is fully capable to choose an army, enter the arena, and pick new skills as it levels up.
  • B.Net ready - I've played some games on B.Net, and the good response I've gotten has been very rewarding. There is still a problem with many people leaving after only a short time, which I largely think is due to not instantly understanding how the fighting system works, and also because they feel they lack control over the battle when they cannot manually use any skills. I'd like to hear your theories if you have any.

Try it out and let me know what you think is good or bad, what needs changing, and what needs to be added.

I'm also asking you to give any bug reports you get. Preferably with a replay so I can see exactly what the bug says.

Enjoy!

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
I kinda like this map. The spells look cool and are fun, and the gameplay is really good.
Here, I'll put it in numbers for you.

Spells: 9
Gameplay: 8
Concept: 7
Terrain: 6.5

GJ!

sabrio

Reaction score
More units and spells is definitely something I'd like to add. Unit/skill Ideas are very welcome at this stage.

i got some units ideas if you want
Tuskars
-Tuskar Axefighter
Strenght : 4
Dexterity : 2
Wisdom : 3
Life : 110
Move Speed : 300
-Axe strike
-Throw Axe

-Tuskar Icemage
Strenght : 2
Dexterity : 3
Wisdom : 4
Life : 90
Move Speed : 280
-Frosbolt
-Freeze
-Ice Armor

-Tuskar Spears thrower
Strenght : 2
Dexterity : 4
Life : 95
Move Speed : 310
-Ice Spear
-Dodge

-Tuskar Healer
Strenght : 3
Dexterity : 3
Life : 90
Move Speed : 300
-Light Heal
-Greater Healing
-Regeneration

Hope you like them ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.