[Contest] Official Texturing contest I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Official* Texturing Contest I

Greetings, all the members of Thehelper.Net

With the new section in the Resources forum, It might be a good idea to give some attention to it.
And, with some random requests, past unnoficial contests and attention coming to Texturing and Modeling, the day has come for you to take part in a supported competition of Texturing, with a future glance at modelling too.

Hear me out:

The Prizes:
Some reputation (Both the one that shows on Thehelper.Net's forums and the one that you don't see, but feel) and, depending on you all, perhaps a Custom Contest winner Icon.

Contest Rules
Every participant will have to Skin 1 out of 3 models, that are:
Blood Elf Sorcerer (Custom path "Textures\Hero_BloodElf.blp")
Demon Hunter (Custom path "Textures\HeroDemonHunter.blp")
Blademaster (Custom Path "Textures\HeroBladeMaster.blp")

If, because of certain circuimstances, you cannot find these files, originial skins are attached at the bottom of this post.

You may use any tools to Re-Skin these models.
You must do it free hand, and it is allowed to recolor up to 25 percent of the skin. CnP is *not* allowed.

You must submit your Textures in .BLP format. Entry must be submitted with a screenshot(s) of the texture(s) as .blp and in game.

You may need to use Warcraft III Image Viewer, you can find it here

Contestants may re-submit their textures until the deadline, but only the last submitted textures before the deadline will count.

Contestants may not submit textures that are already submitted somewere else or someone else's work. The submission must be original and made by the contestant himself/herself.

The rules may change.

Grading

Grading will be done by 3 Judges that have knowledge in texturing and a public voting.

Grading will be done in these areas:

Originality (30%) - How much the skinned unit differs from the starting one and if the idea was taken before.

Quality (30%) - Is the skin well made or did someone just use MSPaint to scratch something.

Visuals (40%) - Personal opinion if the skin looks nice and some miscellaneous things, this will be voted by Poll.

Deadline
Contest starts today, January 28'th at 13:00 (1:00 PM) GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), you can check out the current time here

It will end at February 15th, Friday, 13:00 GMT and all submissions that are late for more than 1 hour will be disqualified.

--

That's all folks.
For now.

If you have any questions/suggestions, feel free to PM me.

*Official - Seems so.

Attachments

• Hero_BloodElf.TGA
    256 KB · Views: 236
  • HeroBladeMaster.TGA
    256 KB · Views: 196
  • HeroDemonHunter.TGA
    256 KB · Views: 181

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
3 skins within 2 weeks is quite ridiculous if you ask me.

Reaction score
Actually no. It's pretty good amount, for me. But if people want to focus on a few skins at a time, then I suggest you to change the rules a bit..

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Im in... Might be hard to do so many skins in that little time, idk...

CnP or recolor allowed?

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
How much of a skin can be recolor for it to still follow the rules, or are there no rules?

Also all kinds of CnP should be dissallowed or else this is pretty much a joke.

3 skins seems a bit much for me, at least if all 3 skins are supposed to be of good quality. I suggest either a longer deadline or just 1 out of those 3 options.

Daskunk

Reaction score
Yeah. 3 freehand skins in that amount of time, no...

I could do 3 recolor/CnP skins, but that wouldnt be anyw good..

Daskunk

Reaction score
If you think 3 skins in two weeks is hard guys, then you will never make it in the real world. Trust me, it's more than enough time.

Well, Like I said it depends how good you want it too be. I just made a skin in 15 mins or less, but it was mainly recolor.

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
If you think 3 skins in two weeks is hard guys, then you will never make it in the real world. Trust me, it's more than enough time.

Because we are all aspiring graphics artists at this place, none of us does this for the fun of it :)

Personally I am not a very good skinner, but I might enter just for fun, that doesn't mean that I can't produce any good work, it just means that it will take a lot longer than it would for some of the more experienced skinners.

Reaction score
Yes, I have updated the rules, reduced the ammount of skins to re-texture to one.

Recoloring can be used, but no more than about a quarter of the model.

No CnP.

And, after all, it is a contest just for a plain fun and for the people. Rules have been changed, and dare I say, it's two days less to finnish the skins.

Also - Entry must be submitted with a screenshot(s) of the texture(s) as .blp and in game.

Another rule, thanks to Tom Jones for pointing this out.

P.S.
It would be nice if those who will take part in the competition would write it here.

DrinkSlurm

Eat Bachelor Chow!
Reaction score
I was thinking about joining this contest. I already started something, but I don't know if it's any good. I've never re-textured before and I don't know if what I'm doing is within the rules or not:
You must do it free hand, and it is allowed to recolor up to 25 percent of the skin. CnP is *not* allowed.

Edit: sent PM.

Reaction score
It seems as this contest was a failure.

Either the too short deadline, which, if any of you would have atleast asked to prolong, would have been prolonged, or the lack of interest.

Well then, I guess no need for texturing contests here.

Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.