Health Deadly New Fungus Emerging in Oregon Expected to Spread

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
save the dolphins!

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The obvious answer is to cut down all the trees.

but seriously, is this actually real? and anyway, mask = problem put on hold.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Why not? lol

lol
I don't think it has been decided wether viruses are even alive or not. they are basically bits of RNA floating around. fungi on the other hand are alive and their cells even have cell walls. our cells only have cell membranes since we're animals.

I'm not sure one of our immune cells could really "eat" a fungi cell. vaccines train our immune systems.

Durandal

Reaction score
lol
I don't think it has been decided wether viruses are even alive or not. they are basically bits of RNA floating around. fungi on the other hand are alive and their cells even have cell walls. our cells only have cell membranes since we're animals.

I'm not sure one of our immune cells could really "eat" a fungi cell. vaccines train our immune systems.

There is no one particular cell, but our body would attack fungi cells the same way it would attack any other foreign invader, with extreme prejudice, the only problem here is...

Antibodies probably wouldn't work on fungi.

Why not? lol

Are you trying to be funny...

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Are you trying to be funny...
LOL

Well, It's old but interesting article.
Scientists Develop Fungus-Fighting Vaccine
Although these fungi pose little threat to people with healthy immune systems, they can cause fatal infections in those whose immune systems have been weakened by cancer treatments or post-transplant immunosuppressive therapies. No anti-fungal vaccines are currently available.

The new vaccine was made of a sugar-like molecule called beta-glucan that is found on the cell wall of the fungus and that the fungus needs to grow and survive. To induce a robust immune response to the vaccine, the group attached the relatively innocuous beta-glucan to a protein called diptheria toxin that is known to stimulate the immune system and has been used in other human vaccines.

The vaccine protected rodents from fatal fungal infections by triggering the production of anti-beta-glucan antibodies. These antibodies stuck to the invading fungal cell wall and prevented the fungus from growing. The authors now plan to test the vaccine in humans and hope the results are equally promising

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0NSxMNRNY1Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0NSxMNRNY1Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.