DOTA should have its own MPQ archive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

black.sheep

Reaction score
I don't see any real disadvantages with this, more models/icons/skins within the game would allow for better maps.
The only problem is the loading screen.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
The idea of custom MPQs is kinda awesome.
So whenever you download a map all custom stuff goes into a MPQ/folder and if you DL another map that uses the same imported stuff you don't have to DL it because it alrdy is in that folder.

But it won't happen I guess... Probably not even in Sc2.

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
The idea of custom MPQs is kinda awesome.
So whenever you download a map all custom stuff goes into a MPQ/folder and if you DL another map that uses the same imported stuff you don't have to DL it because it alrdy is in that folder.

IMO, no.. it's very rare for 2 maps to have the same 'set' of imported stuff..
there will be extra stuff.. will you need to download the excess one by one? no, bad idea.

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Well, that would actually end dota if it has its own MPQ. MPQ = Customizable models textures etc. DOTA new MOD download now @_@ you could alter the contents inside an MPQ, but people won't dare doing that with their precious original warcraft MPQ. But if it was an MPQ for DOTA its like - hey dude lets alter it, make the torrent effects look like exploding dust. Well, that is all I could think for the downside of dota hing its own MPQ. Though I think this would happen by the time IceFrog runs out of sound sets.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Hehe, I actually don't know people who got Wc3 just for DotA. Most people actually just buy the game and learn it before playing any custom maps. :p Unless you mean all they play is DotA... that is understandable.

Blizzard has abandoned Wc3 almost entirely, unless there is a small bug needed to be fixed.

I just don't know how its own MPQ archive would help. I mean, sure, the flashy effects might be cool but how does it change the gameplay? I don't really care for all fancy models and massive effects. They are certainly eye-candy =D, but they aren't necessary.

It is like a matter of Super Mario 64 compared to a current Super Mario. I actually think that you can focus more on gameplay if you don't have to keep up to the standards of high quality looks.

madd_999

Reaction score
first of all:

Warcraft != DotA
if DotA == Warcraft
{
call UninstallGame()
}

second:
Blizzard will not do this.. if they would dot his for dota then i have a better solution for it..

make Dota a new game thats free for DL.. or something like that..
or
instead of an MPQ let them finaly release a final version and let bliz that add in a patch.. like they do with the winners of the normal game map desing..

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I remember Emjir gave a link to a hacked dota allstars. Almost all the imports are SLK files and notepad files that allow TFT options.

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Blizzard will not release something for one specific map. Nor should it.

I'm sorry but they just did.

They fixed a sound bug in DOTA for Mac systems in a patch.

If you think they haven't caught their attention on dota... welll....

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
that fix is not map specific, it is a sound bug that could happen on a similar map

as dota is overrated in custom game lists (compared to ladder games it sucks, for instance you have about 2 mil ladder games just in Northrend and only 170k of dota games [including those hostbots that always change game name with bugs the counting way of current running games] on 1 week [you would need at least 2 months to reach 2 mil dota games that ladder does on 1 week]), the only way to spread the sound bug fix is use the map as an example

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
ok.. so whats so special about DotA, its an AoS, wow. And, from what ive heard, its item centered, which is really stupid imo. Maybe id see more of my favorite games if DotA wasnt hosted so many people. And now people are coming from like The other side of the earth to play DotA on the EASTERN USA. They have this like uber bad delay, what is the point of that?

If there was no dota, warcraft 3 wloud be like.... hm... heroes 2 by now. Nothing but a good memory. The only players wloud be the hard-core melee and mappers ;)

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
If there was no dota, warcraft 3 wloud be like.... hm... heroes 2 by now. Nothing but a good memory. The only players wloud be the hard-core melee and mappers ;)

No, it would not. Tons of people continue to play Warcraft III Battle.net without touching Dota, therefore if Dota was not there it would not affect them.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
The players in the dota league are 2 million. Not to mention all the people in GGC.

But, you are.... how should I put this... Let's just say that you:
A have not played dota but think it sucks, because you know that you won't make a better map no matter what
B Pretty much do not know anything about dota

so, how can you talk about something that you don't know almost anything about and expect people to take you seriously ?

but w/e I don't care enough to stick around. If you want to tell me something pm/vm me.

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
The players in the dota league are 2 million. Not to mention all the people in GGC.
The amount of people playing it doesn't mean anything. Heck, I'd bet that most of those people aren't playing it becasue it's so darn fun, but rather because it actually pays.

A have not played dota but think it sucks, because you know that you won't make a better map no matter what
Why does that come up in every single thread about DotA? That has no connection with the thread whatsoever, and it's the poorest argument I've heard since "u mh cause u win". I'm not trying to turn this into a hate/love thread, I'm just stating to you that saying a phrase like that will make you seem brainwashed and literally dumb.

B Pretty much do not know anything about dota
What's there to know? It's an item-centered AoS. Period.

so, how can you talk about something that you don't know almost anything about and expect people to take you seriously ?
Because that would make him a neutral poster, instead of you, whose opinion is biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.