FFT RPG Group Project <HELP WANTED!>

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR ABILITY MAKERS!:

Geoff.L said:
can spell makers PLEASE make the spells an Active Non-Target spell? That might be better I think...

That's really important, so make sure all your spells are active non-target spells so we can implement them into our battle system.

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
i've got some questions. is this ff map going to be 2 teams with each person on a team having one hero? If so, then you could organize the abilities using a spellbooks.

for example,
--Movement Spellbook--
Move Up
Move Down
Move Right
Move Left

Once each ability is casted, you could check to see if the direction is allowed (making sure it is pathable), check if the unit has any agility (moves) left. Then check to see if the height is changed and check to see what the max jump for the unit is & compare. If it all checks out, move the unit. Then subtract 1 from the total agility (or whatever stores the number of moves). Then, after the unit finishes all it's actions you could restore it's agility to it's orignal amount via a variable that stored the agility of the unit before it moved.

of course if you have already done the movement you can just ignore this post, but that is how I would trigger movement because it shows how many moves left and is very controllable.

the triggered movement is more or less exactly liek that, except you click on circles instead of abilities lol :p
well, jump is not implemented in THAT version, im still tweaking with the equations for hit/miss alot, im trying to figure out the height thing...

Exfyre

hmm...
Reaction score
the triggered movement is more or less exactly liek that, except you click on circles instead of abilities lol :p
well, jump is not implemented in THAT version, im still tweaking with the equations for hit/miss alot, im trying to figure out the height thing...

for the height thing, do you need to know how to test for height differences? I figured out a somewhat simple way that might or might not work. One thing it wont tell me is how much the height difference is - only if there is one.

EDIT: i also just founda much more complex, but accurate way - if you need it.

EDIT (again): one question: does your moving method make the player move one block at a time, until all moves are used up, or does it make them click where they ultimately want to be?

EDIT: whoopsy just saw my double post :(

W

Whitewater

I was thinking after checking out the move system map... how will you handle things like Teleport and the like? With the way it is, you would have to cast a spell, spawn a huge amount of squares, and do the select thing while setting AlreadyMoved to true or whatever it is... But how would you do the percentages for failure and the like?

Syndrome

Reaction score
Channels also an Active non target spell if you set it to be. :rolleyes:

"I was thinking after checking out the move system map... how will you handle things like Teleport and the like? With the way it is, you would have to cast a spell, spawn a huge amount of squares, and do the select thing while setting AlreadyMoved to true or whatever it is... But how would you do the percentages for failure and the like? "
Easy, the thing that i posted is just something to work with, i actually just got too lazy to make it multiple squares. i have now implemented the Move to be better, will post it up sooon.
The great thing about the way i made this system is that i can also add to it easily [not sure about other ppl since they didn't make it], here, ill make the Dummy Mage have a teleport thing to show you guys :)
BTW, never actually used Teleport in FFT, does it let you go just about anywhere?
Percentages for Failure, Hits and Crits are all being coded in [with some difficulty, but hey, im doing it...] and should be working soon....

"EDIT (again): one question: does your moving method make the player move one block at a time, until all moves are used up, or does it make them click where they ultimately want to be?"

I am now making it so they move where they ultimately want to be, just got a bit lazy :p

"EDIT: i also just founda much more complex, but accurate way - if you need it."

does it include making one unit on one height, then making another unit on another height, then typing -test and trigger off a trigger that calculates the flying height difference and displaying it to all players? if so, then its done! :p

ok, the next version is coming i don't know when lol, will be posting again soon...

Syndrome

Reaction score
MWAHAHAHA EXCELLENT!
more and more people seem to be interested in this thing!

Anyways, CheesyBeefy, hows the Storyline going? I also kinda participate in the writer's corner in this forum so I guess I can help you out ;)

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
Well, it's not my storyline. :p It's gonna be the story from the actual game. Except, we need someone to tell the triggerists and terrainers (What to make for cinematics and what people say etc. What quests you get.) what the story is like. So yeah. :p And also about the teleport thing. The move squares appear all over the map except the farther you try to move, the less chance you have of it being succesful. So it doesn't succeed 100% of the time.

W

Whitewater

Responding to Geoff.L, teleport lets you teleport an infinite amount of squares in theory, but each extra square beyond your maximum move range (normal that is) adds a ~10% chance to fail and waste your turn. It also ignores height.

Syndrome

Reaction score
hmm, does it automatically ends your turn or just wastes your Action sequence for that turn?
hmmm, seems possible, but 10 squares off from your actual moving range is 0% of working right?

as for the storyline, i haven't played the PSOne version of FFT, so I kinda forgot the guys names...
I remember Ramza, but that's all lol :p
I'm actually playing the DS version right now, its awesome!

dummy archer SORTOF working, cheesybeefy, how is the Height thing affect the dmg of an arrow?

W

Whitewater

Well, it uses your MOVE action as far as I know, correct me if I am wrong... But yes, 10 spaces off (not vertically, vert doesn't matter) is automatic failure. Also, teleport-fail can re-trigger traps, very useful for de-leveling so you can get huge stats. Oh, and height doesn't affect the damage of the arrow, where it hits on the opponent does, because there are multiple fire angles. It can fire a kinda medium, goes over an opponents head if they are in the middle, a really high, goes like 6 spaces up vertically, hits in the head for bonus damage... (Not sure of the actual %age...) But for every two spaces vertically over the surrounding area, you get an extra one space of range... I'll do a bad diagram to show you...

Height Levels in numbers like 0, .5, 1, 1.5, but anyway...

If you were placed so you were like

223Y22
With the Y being you...

Your aim range would be (Aim originating from O and Y is yes N is no, assume 5 base range, also extending the diagram for explanation purposes...)

1111223O2211

So range would be

NNNNYYYYYYYY
NNNYYYYYYYYY
NNNYYYYYYYYY
NYYYYYYOYYYY
NNNYYYYYYYYY
NNNYYYYYYYYY

(P.S.-The world's most confusing diagram and proud of it.) I hope this is atleast moderately useful...

Oh, and please note- This only works for bows, not crossbows and other types of range weapons (like throw). Atleast as far as I know...

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
Cheesy, I would like to resign from the skill maker position. I just think I am not worthy. I'll be your graphics guy though :D
-PureOwnage

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
Dang, that's ok. Thanks for working though. However can you just change all of the abilities that you already made to active non-target spells?

1337Elite

Reaction score
Hey, wouldn't it be easier for all of us if we get an IRC room, or use some kind of chat? For me it definitely would.

Syndrome

Reaction score
or we can just make a mass MSN chat channel or something.
EDIT: or i can just make some kind of forum at my site...

Exfyre

hmm...
Reaction score
"EDIT: i also just founda much more complex, but accurate way - if you need it."

does it include making one unit on one height, then making another unit on another height, then typing -test and trigger off a trigger that calculates the flying height difference and displaying it to all players? if so, then its done! :p

actually, my way was a lot stupider. i was thinking of creating a dummy unit for each heighth and placing the corresponding unit on each movement grid. then u could test to see if the unit was in range of unit "height 4" or whatever. ur way is much better =D.

the other simpler way i had in mind was to find the exact middle point between heights and to test it for being pathable, which would let you know there is a height change (unless there are doodads) but not up/down.

edit: for your chat options, try using xfire, let's you talk while you're playing warcraft 3 also, but ingame.
http://www.xfire.com/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.