US News Giant shark washes ashore in N.Y.

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
BABYLON, N.Y. (AP) — A 20-foot-long basking shark that washed ashore on a beach on New York’s Long Island appears to have died from some kind of illness.

New York State Parks official George Gorman says researchers will examine the shark to determine a cause of death. After that, it will be buried in nearby sand dunes on the beach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gev

Reaction score
What whas the reason of the sharks death? I cant find any information about that. Is anybady knows?

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
What whas the reason of the sharks death? I cant find any information about that. Is anybady knows?

They are guessing it died of an illness, it probably was near some kind of power plant and the toxic just ended up killing it (that's my guess) I've seen 2 Basking shark when I used to scuba, they are harmless but don't get near them :p big mouth + you + suction = gg?

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
"Normally the basking shark reaches a length of between 6 metres (20 ft) and a little over 8 metres (26 ft)" <<<Wikipedia

Not even big. Its a runt.

juty

Zoom out problems look smaller
Reaction score
I don't care what the average is, 20 ft is one big fish. :eek:

Agreed! when i Was in Brisbane aus we went surfing and we had huge schools off sharks swimming bellow us like we could see them it was cool to. but very scary :eek:

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Wait. If this one is a runt, then why the heck is the thread titled "Giant"? XD

Btw, Jaws was 25ft. :p

Though, I do agree it's a big fish compared to most.

And, instead of burying it, if it has no disease, why not just process it and sell as food -_-'

People eat shark all the time and if it's not hazardous to health to eat this one, then by all means eat it. Food is food. o_O'

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Wait. If this one is a runt, then why the heck is the thread titled "Giant"? XD

Btw, Jaws was 25ft. :p

Though, I do agree it's a big fish compared to most.

And, instead of burying it, if it has no disease, why not just process it and sell as food -_-'

People eat shark all the time and if it's not hazardous to health to eat this one, then by all means eat it. Food is food. o_O'

Exactly. I don't see why we as a people bury our dead when we can simply scavenge their corpses for food and sustenance.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
If we had eaten our dead in the beginning, then Cannibalism wouldn't be "bad". Which, it isn't if you're not retarded and drive your own species to extinction. ^_^

Now, I'm not saying I'm a cannibal because growing up in an anti-cannibalistic world, I've grown to NOT want to eat every human who walks past me >_<

I'm just saying, we COULD eat the corspes as it's perfectly fine food.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Um you do know the only thing used on the shark to eat is the fins (for shark fin soup) the rest is all cartilage....no meat :(

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Cartilage are teh good eats. ^_^

Obviously kidding. But yeah, we could have used the fins... It's a dead shark. PETA can't say jack shit to us for killing the shark as it was already dead ^_^ No point in throwing away the resources. It's like telling someone to throw away money because he didn't work for it but instead found it on the ground without any way of finding the previous owner. And who, would want to return something like that in that situation anyways ^_^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.