Tutorial How To Post Your Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> not saying you directed your post at me

Nah... Not directed to you. It's just something general.

> if he gets linked

This is really fine. But my concern is, at least answer the question if it's answerable. I mean, that's the least one could do...

Again, I really think this thread is good, as mentioned quite some time ago. If this gets stickied, the chance of one (newby) to read this is, still, very very low :p. A good thread to be linked though.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Also, to add up a little bit about the 'flame' thing. Sometimes, when there're newby posting some weird/incomplete questions, I noticed that some people would just post a link to 'How not to write a thread title' or 'Rules'. And that's it, no questions answered. Just a link there with a few unrelated comments. This seems quite sarcastic to me =.=.

Yeah, it can actually be very frustrating to just be redirected without any other indication on an attempt to help you on your problem.

Not directly relating to the same, but I remember when I was trying to find a solution on a desync issue in my code. Numerous replies was just a link to the GetLocalPlayer() tutorial, which really didn't help me get anywhere. I got my help in the end, but it required direct help from someone who spotted the error.

In my experience, most of the time direct help is more rewarding for both the helper and the one requiring help. If I'm not in the mood to help directly, I usually wait to see if anyone else helps, instead of redirecting to tutorials. To me tutorials are resources, not a way to help with specific problems that arises when mapping.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
In my experience, most of the time direct help is more rewarding for both the helper and the one requiring help. If I'm not in the mood to help directly, I usually wait to see if anyone else helps, instead of redirecting to tutorials. To me tutorials are resources, not a way to help with specific problems that arises when mapping.
I enjoy helping people, to be honest :eek: .
When someone thanks me, it makes me feel good that I helped them;
As well as making them feel better that their problem is solved.
I usually wait for others to reply sometimes too.
I only link tutorials if it's bang on what the user is trying to do.
Anyways, to stay ontopic :p , I wrote this so that the people who do try to help while linking to a thread, can do so with this snippet ;) !

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
Definately deserves to be stickied in the WEHZ. Not only so it's easier to help that person, but so they don't go through the trouble of copying every single line, or even typing it out manually!

[edit]
+Rep

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Even as I've said above;
If this stays graveyarded, at least a simple link in the RULES For the World Editor Help Forum would make me happy.
Even though that might be too much to read for newbies.
This at least has pictures and colors to keep them interested :p .
What good is a link in the rules thread? If (some) new members don't even read the rules, how are they meant to access this thread through a link from the rules?

Thanks ;) !
I know it wasn't directed at me in the first place too.
I'd at least like a mod to consider un-graveyarding this :eek: ;
What's the hurt in having this in the normal Tutorials and Resources section anyways?
Perhaps, in time, but as I already said, this is just re-stating what's been said in the rules (except the rules explains it adequately in 3 lines). The pictures may help but will people even read what's between the pictures - if they won't read 3 lines, why would they read ~45 lines that's saying that's pretty much saying precisely the same thing

I'll consider moving it back to T&R (later on, when I get a chance) to get some more comments, but without feedback from users who actually need this information (if you haven't noticed, just about everyone who has commented so far is perfectly capable of using code-wrapping tags), it doesn't really seem worthy of being approved if the people that should read this don't bother

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
That's why I said about the "RULES" thread being too much for them;
At least the pictures would keep them, sort of, on track.

Don't get me wrong though Flare, I definitely agree with you though that it is just restating what's in the RULES thread;
But I honestly believe more users would read this as opposed to a rule thread that makes them feel like they're being restricted.
This is a "tutorial" so it makes them feel like they're learning something instead of being told what to do.

As you said also, almost everyone that's commented most likely knows how to use these tags, but:
They've also said this should be stickied, which I know isn't up to them, but still.
At the least though, they've said this should be un-graveyarded.

I didn't say I wanted this "approved" or anything, just un-graveyarded.
Even if it did get approved, it's still IMO better then some of the other approved things we have.
There's some things in the approved section that never get used anymore;
At least this would get read once in a while when the new guy comes along and doens't know how to post in [noparse]
Code:
, [wc3], or [jass][/noparse] tags.

Anyways, that's just my opinion on everything you said.
I'm not trying to argue with you, at all, just merely stating my side of this :) .

EDIT: Plus this now has 8 votes with a 4.38 rating average ;) !

CaptDeath

Reaction score
i havent read the rules
cause well i dont like walls of text
and im doing fine and i link to this all the time cause if some ones like how can i ___{expalind here} i link to it

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm with Flare on this one.
It's a really long tutorial, over something that can be just as easily explained like this:
Go to your trigger. Right click the trigger name above 'events' and select "Copy as Text"
Then, on the forums, type [NOPARSE]
Trigger:
[/NOPARSE] and paste the trigger (Right Click -> Paste) between the ][.
And even that's more information than what is needed.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Oh so you review this thread but not my Armor Crush thread :p .
Like I've said though, I agree with the restating;
But at the least, the pictures help with it.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
I've moved this back to T&R for the sake of trying to get a bit more feedback. If little/no genuine feedback (I don't expect that you'd try and push people to comment, but just incase...) from users who actually have need of this is received, then I'm gonna move it back

Also, as regards the sticky suggestion, it's the WE Help Zone, not the WE Sticky Zone... there's enough stickied threads already, do we really need to add to that list

But at the least, the pictures help with it.
People need pictures to read stuff now? What's the world coming to...

Also, tag changed to [Tutorial]

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> there's enough stickied threads already, do we really need to add to that list

Usually, the bigger a forum, the more stickies it needs. With more users browsing it, the chances increase that more and more of them will "browse" the stickies (bad habit) in search of an answer to their forum-related questions. In that case, it's certainly not in the bottom of a Rules thread that they will be browsing. As we all know, the rules thread is unfortunately invisible to users.

Therefore, linking the bottom of the rules thread to this one would be totally pointless. So we are given 2 possibilities: 1. Forget it, or 2. implement it, somewhere, somehow.

Let's examine the possibilities.

1. Forget it, naturally. It seems like users finally know how to use tags.

2. Users who search for tags help generally don't "find" the Rules thread, even less the 6th point at the very bottom. It's invisible anyways. Therefore, they learn it on their own, as they stumble upon wc3 tags at one point or another, or simply ask in any thread they find, which posts become deleted soon after.

Users who browse stickies (maybe add a sticky mentionning not to...?) and who have that bad tendency are also, quite (un)surprisingly, users who do not know how to use tags. So it wouldn't be that bad a move to add this thread as a sticky there.

As far as its "usefulness" is concerned, I'd say it depends on the point of view. We (excludes most of the staff, most of the members, and...) generally take for account that users read the Rules thread pre-emptively. Bad habit too, but it doesn't matter. What matters is that this thread would certainly not tarish the World Editor Help forum's general overlook.

So, I believe this thread should be not be discarded yet. It could make a good sticky. It doesn't really matter how many there are, it can be removed from the sticky list any time with a couple of clicks.

Also, why should the advice mentionning how to post your triggers be located in the Rules thread at all? It's simply not in the right spot I believe.

While adding this thread as a sticky, we might as well change its name to "How to actually receive help" and the such, the thread being filled with words to the wise concerning World Editor Help forum posting, including how to post tags.

I'll think of a good title.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Wow Daxtreme.
Thank you for that comment.
I'd be more then happy to change anything in this Tutorial to help it get stickied or whatever.

EDIT: Do you mean this might get stickied Daxtreme :eek: ?

mordocai

Reaction score
I never even knew there was wc3 tags, only knew code/jass tags. Plus i couldnt find the rules

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> I'd be more then happy to change anything in this Tutorial to help it get stickied or whatever.

Don't worry, those are tweaks and I'll change them myself.

> EDIT: Do you mean this might get stickied Daxtreme ?

My post is that complicated? :p

Yes.

It would be, at last, clear for everybody where the infos about damned tags are!

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Lol, thanks.
Also, another thing I just realized is that 2 of the stickies in the WEHZ forum are for the "End of Year Spell Contest".
So when those go away, adding one more won't make it make it have more stickies then it does now ;) !

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.