I want to add an animation when a passive procs.

Demerzel2

Reaction score
I'm new to this, but how can I add a special effect when a passive procures? For example, I want to add the Incinerate buff special effect to my hero's hand when a critical strike takes place.

Necrach

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Then your critical hit, bash or whatever it is have to be triggered. Are you using GUI? Get a damage detection system, trigger your critical strike and suddenly its very easy to add the special effect :eek:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
if you are new to this the most recommended thing is to forget about this.
there is no easy solution to what you are trying. even more experienced map makers will have their difficulty making something like this only for a critical strike because it will need at least a proper damage detection system.
and adding such stuff, or even creating one yourself, isnt for beginners and doing this only for a single ability, and furthermore only for a little eye candy of a single ability is not just overkill but pretty much overkill.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
still needs a good damage detection system.
should also use a decent random number system since the editors build in random is not known to be the brightest star on the nightsky.

Ashlebede

Reaction score
still needs a good damage detection system.

Why so ? Ever heard of the "A unit is attacked" event ? Unless there is a unit with major evasion chance or something, it shouldn't matter too much.

should also use a decent random number system since the editors build in random is not known to be the brightest star on the nightsky.

It's not that bad...

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
first of all it IS bad. period.

and the "unit is attacked" event is incredibly unreliable for such an ability like critical strike.

the major problem of that event is that it doesnt fire when the unit is "hitting" its target but, as the event says, when its "attacking". that means it fires before any damage is dealt.
this gives 2 problems.
1). we do not know how much damage the attack will deal since it hasnt landed so far and we cannot use any event response for it.

2). for every units whichs "combat - attack point" value is not equal to 0.00 this event can glitch if the player is mass issueing his unit to attack a target. because the event will fire each time the unit is "trying" to hit the enemy, a.k.a. "attacking". and you can order to attack => event firing, before attack is done order to attack => event is firing.
this can be done without waiting for any attack cooldown which gives us incredible attack speed + critical strike = imbalanced hero of hell.

the damage detection system is vital for a custom critical strike ability, it cannot be replaced by anything.
at least not effectively.

Ashlebede

Reaction score
Accname said:
we do not know how much damage the attack will deal since it hasnt landed so far and we cannot use any event response for it.

Ashlebede said:
Constant damage factor

Accname said:
for every units whichs "combat - attack point" value is not equal to 0.00 this event can glitch if the player is mass issueing his unit to attack a target. because the event will fire each time the unit is "trying" to hit the enemy, a.k.a. "attacking". and you can order to attack => event firing, before attack is done order to attack => event is firing.
this can be done without waiting for any attack cooldown which gives us incredible attack speed + critical strike = imbalanced hero of hell.

That one does depend on your hero. If the hero already has a fast attack speed and/or the damage is not major, this doesn't matter so much. But I have to admit that is a lot of conditions. I'm just saying it can be done if those conditions are met without reaching imbalance.

And how is the random number generation so bad ? I feel like you're telling me "It's bad because it is"... elaborate pl0x.

Oh, and your "damage system" which sounds so complex to use can be summarized as follows :

Trigger:
  • //
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Enters (Playable map area)
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Trigger - Add the event ((Triggering unit) Takes damage) to {Other Trigger} <gen>

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
yes what you did was a damage detection system. a leaking one. which isnt something we should encourage here.
a decently made damage detection system cannot be made with GUI since there are no GUI functions which will not result in memory leaks.
you need to use jass for a leak-less damage detection system.

and i doubt you could call an ability critical strike if it would deal constant damage (not a constant damage factor since a factor is something you multiply some other value, like the actual damage dealt, with.)

and the problem with the build in random function is that its not really random. of course there isnt a "real" random number in any computer programm but several people of the wc3 map making community made "random number" systems which allow for "more real" random numbers then the wc3 random function. basically since we are talking about numbers generated by a computer you should just swap every "random" in this text with unpredictable since that is what a "random" function of a computer should return and what the function of wc3 doesnt most of its time.

at least for me the random functions seems to give out thrice or four times in a row the same result. and this doesnt happen rarely.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Try playing with the Art fields, especially the Art - Special field, although I think that effects the target, not the caster... but give it a go anyway. I know for pulverize, if you add an Art - Special, it will create that model on any enemy units caught by the effect :p

DioD

Reaction score
special attack animation is not easy to do.
its complex event of attack and damage and order.
also its possible only for melee units.

you must decide to do special attack BEFORE this attack happen, you cant change animation in progress (it will be async with damage and looks wierd).

if your critical factor not variable - add spellbook hidden critical strike, you can add 100% critical for event like kill, or keep hidden critical as part of other ability.

if you using variable (like agi% or health) you shoud calculate chance for next attack, to prevent abusing ('stop' spam or something like this) every attack shoud have damage window, if no damage deal in this window, critical factor will reset.

Attack event run animation and window
Damage event run damage and chances

If unit not actually attacks, it wont get chance to score critical.

Othewise players will stop spam and if critical scored - perform actual attack. (its easily monitored by animation)

Demerzel2

Reaction score
@DioD: Thanks, I've decided to drop the idea :). I've replaced the theme of the ability to something simpler, and it also fits the hero more.
@da1nOnlyEd: Yeah I did notice that, but it only works for abilities whose base ability also has some sort of animation. Thanks though :).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.