Sci/Tech Japanese firm wants to transform the Moon into a giant solar power plant

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
@Dan: If they where to build all over the moons surface it would most likely change the weight of the moon in a necessary amount:thdown:

your mom = 1 ton... (see what i did thar?)
I for one does not tolerate that kind of things and I would be glad if you did not write like that to me again.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I think this is pretty cool. The cost would not really be anything in the long run if it leads to a solution for world energy supplies. We've had recent advances in beaming energy from one point to another without the need for cables, and the moon would not have the problem of clouds blocking sunlight, which is one of the main obstacles to efficient Solar power in many countries at the moment.

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
Look, ma!
Two legs!

[YOUTUBE]kFgXEkzMq7A&hl[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by ReVolver; Today at 08:17 PM.
Ahh..
Thanks, so that's how it's done >.>

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
And how come nobody thought of the meteors that might just impact the moon's surface and ruin the whole thing, costing millions of dollars worth of damage each time something like this happens. I for one know that the earth is constantly being bombarded by millions of meteorites each minute, but because we have an atmosphere (while the moon doesn't), the meteorites get burned to dust before they reach the ground by air friction.
So, unfortunately for the moon, so far apart from changing our oceanic tides, it's also our tank for some of the larger meteors that fly by our planet because the moon also has a gravitational pull (hence the tides) and tank some of those meteors for Earth. Now, if a meteor bigger than a basketball hits the moon and happens to hit a solar panel, there goes a couple million dollars. And meteors do impact the moon pretty often.
YAY!

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
And how come nobody thought of the meteors that might just impact the moon's surface and ruin the whole thing, costing millions of dollars worth of damage each time something like this happens. I for one know that the earth is constantly being bombarded by millions of meteorites each minute, but because we have an atmosphere (while the moon doesn't), the meteorites get burned to dust before they reach the ground by air friction.
So, unfortunately for the moon, so far apart from changing our oceanic tides, it's also our tank for some of the larger meteors that fly by our planet because the moon also has a gravitational pull (hence the tides) and tank some of those meteors for Earth. Now, if a meteor bigger than a basketball hits the moon and happens to hit a solar panel, there goes a couple million dollars. And meteors do impact the moon pretty often.
YAY!

Yeah, but we have the death ray for that.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Seriously, why get all fancy and do it on the moon when you can simply have large satellites with long strands of solar panels extending from them orbiting the earth? It would be less costly (wouldn't need ROBOTS to set up everything) and the electricity would be produced much closer to the Earth. WHY THE MOON!?

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Lets compare technology...

USA

[YOUTUBE]W1czBcnX1Ww[/YOUTUBE]
Holy crap is that a demon creature from hell?

It is pretty amazing though.
YAY!

Seriously, why get all fancy and do it on the moon when you can simply have large satellites with long strands of solar panels extending from them orbiting the earth? It would be less costly (wouldn't need ROBOTS to set up everything) and the electricity would be produced much closer to the Earth. WHY THE MOON!?

What they said.

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
Is it April 1st again?
Seriously, I couldn't imagine a venture more ambitious, that is to say more ridiculous. Isn't the solar microwaves heating the earth enough to supply several times the world population's annual power consumption in a single day?
But then, not every single one of those >6 Billion people on earth is keen on gaming all day long with an Nvidia GTX480 Quad-SLI....yet

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
@Dan: If they where to build all over the moons surface it would most likely change the weight of the moon in a necessary amount:thdown:

I for one does not tolerate that kind of things and I would be glad if you did not write like that to me again.

I thought I just proved you wrong kind of? unless mathematically you only need to change the weight of the moon by .05% (40.5million tons) or .005% (4 million tons) etc... It's just a lot of weight to even conceive of sending to the moon at this point.

+ as SerraAvenger said, a portion of the materials would come from the moon itself (thus not increasing it's weight)

and I didn't mean to offend you. It was a harmless joke. I'm sure your mother is a nice lady. I'll change it to SerraAvenger's mom instead.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Weight is pointless, because it has like no value on the moon.

Mass is all that matters now.

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
Then they take over the world because they have lazer beams aimed at earth.

Or because they have enough energy for the whole planet... but will they share it?

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Well its impossibly in the Fact that Japan doesn't have I believe any rights to the Moon?

I know its divided but I can't say how much percentage if any of it they have rights for.

Of course I believe they shouldn't have any percentage if they do because, apparently you claim things by sticking flags into the ground. I am pretty sure the US owns 100% of it because we are the only ones that have been there. :eek:
(Kidding of course)

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Well its impossibly in the Fact that Japan doesn't have I believe any rights to the Moon?

I know its divided but I can't say how much percentage if any of it they have rights for.

Of course I believe they shouldn't have any percentage if they do because, apparently you claim things by sticking flags into the ground. I am pretty sure the US owns 100% of it because we are the only ones that have been there. :eek:
(Kidding of course)

I believe japan has 17% rights to the moon. Another 33% go to china, and 50% go to the USA. At least in 50 years, because then europe+australia will be retarded low level states with no influence. Eg similar to some of the ex-GUS states.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I believe japan has 17% rights to the moon. Another 33% go to china, and 50% go to the USA. At least in 50 years, because then europe+australia will be retarded low level states with no influence. Eg similar to some of the ex-GUS states.

You forgot to take into consideration the arrival of tiberium. That's when EU and US forces join together to form the Global Defense Initiative and Kain forms the Brotherhood of NOD. They split the moon 50/50, just like the rest of the world.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
You forgot to take into consideration the arrival of tiberium. That's when EU and US forces join together to form the Global Defense Initiative and Kain forms the Brotherhood of NOD. They split the moon 50/50, just like the rest of the world.

That just didn't make any sense oO
I'm talking about reality = )

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
1. Japan, you rock!

2. Cyberpunk culture is one of the leading factors.

3. Did USA ever shown an android product outside of a lab? Japan is the leading country who is able to create androids, so...

4. Debate: Should we destroy a lifeless environment all for the good of the human race?

5. What solar panels can outstand such extreme heat?

6. Shouldn't we first talk about human colonization on the moon? After that, we could move on to bigger projects...

7. I thought USA and China alone cost about 4,000 trillion dollars?

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
if you said, "USA costs negative 4,000 trillion dollars," I'd believe you >.>
Their debt is..

Amazing.

And if they declare some sort of bankruptcy, the World will be doomed <.<

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2. Cyberpunk culture is one of the leading factors.
No idea what you're talking about, leading factor to what?

3. Did USA ever shown an android product outside of a lab? Japan is the leading country who is able to create androids, so...
Do Andriods have to do with the moon? America was leading the world in satelites, does that make us more qualified?

4. Debate: Should we destroy a lifeless environment all for the good of the human race?
"lifeless"

5. What solar panels can outstand such extreme heat?
Probably most of them since it's bitter cold in space.

6. Shouldn't we first talk about human colonization on the moon? After that, we could move on to bigger projects...
No, because no one is living there.

7. I thought USA and China alone cost about 4,000 trillion dollars.
How exactly does one determine the cost of an entire country? The GDP/PC?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.