Join the map that will (hopefully) revolutionize b.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skinny77

Hey everyone!

Has anyone ever played Warhammer Dawn Of War, Civilisations, or the Warcraft maps, Castle Builder and Village Builder? Well, I'm making a hybrid of the lot. It will probably be called "Times Of War" but the title is negotiable. Not that I'll be copying, but I will be "borrowing" ideas. For example, don't you just hate it on Village Builder when you make a huge army, but then it takes you forever to organize them? I'm going to fix that by integrating the troop system from WHDOW. You know, were instead of training individual units, you train whole squads of them? That's what I'm doing.

If anyone is interested in helping, please post and I'll see if there is a spot for you. The main thing is terrain, because I am hopeless at it, so if someone would be willing to make a huge/epic sized map. Also, some people could help with units, items, triggers and various other things. This isn't a necessity, but it would be very nice to have a skinner on the team. I'm okay at triggers and creating units, but I think it would be better to have more than one person's ideas.

So, like I said, if you want to do something, please post what you want to do. Also, if you don't want to join, but do have some good ideas, post them to. Don't worry, credit will be given to everyone who helps.

I guess that's about it. Thanks in advanced.

Terraining - monkeywithagun
Unit Making - emjlr3
Spell Making - emjlr3
Item Making - Skinny77, monkeywithagun
Triggering - Skinny77
Random Ideas - Everyone who posts (Bartuc08 especially)

Remember - The more people we have helping the better, so don't think we have everything occupied, because we don't.

We are on:
Initial ideas and planning
>>> Terrain
>>> Spells
>>> Units
>>> Heroes

Triggers
Testing
Polishing
Testing some more
Official release

S

skinny77

Finally, someone has volunteered. Well, I guess I'll update the first post with a timeline of were we are up to in terms of progress. Here have some rep for being nice.

C'mon guys, we need more people!

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
i have a feeling its srota like a mpa i was thinking of doing where u can get like 5000 units

anyway, make it sorta like this

u build a house, every 3 minutes a unit is made from the house, (villager)

u take your villager and bring him to an academy, where he becomes a militia, thne u take him to a barracks where he can become a footman or spear man, or to the archery range where he can become an archer

or u caould bring that villager to a workshop where he can become a miner or a lumber jack

then if u made a footman from the unit u can bring him to the stables to get a horse and then become a knight

the gold mine can hold 200 miners, who will harvest 1 gold every 3 seconds

to be continued, i gotta go end of class time

S

skinny77

Hmm...well, I like it. The thought of doing something like that never occured to me. However, there are some problems with it. For example, would there be a food limit, or would men just spawn forever? I think there would have to be some limit, or it would cause massive lag. I do like the idea that you train men up from basic villagers though. But perhaps instead of having one man spawn at a time, we have six spawn at a time but less frequently. This would make it much easier to keep your men organized.

Me and monkeywithagun came up with some possible race ideas at school today. Here they are:

Races
Imperial Humans - High damage, low HP, high armour, medium mana
Nomadic Humans - Medium damage, high HP, low armour, medium mana
Elves - Medium damage, medium HP, medium armour, very high mana
Dwarves - High damage, medium HP, very high armour, low mana
Giants - High damage, very high HP, low armour, very low mana
Trolls - High damage, medium HP, medium armour, medium mana
Demons - Very high damage, low HP, low armour, very high mana
Undead - Medium damage, high HP, high armour, medium mana
Beastmen - High damage, high HP, low armour, very low mana
Netherrealm Inhabitants - Very low damage, low HP, very low armour, very high mana (NB - These guys can be produced in massive numbers)
Dark Elves - High Damage, low HP, high armour, high mana

If anybody has any ideas on how to improve these races, or have an idea for another race, they would be graciously accepted.

I also think it would be a good idea if we have a features section, were if we think an idea is good it will go on the list, and if it's not, it will be removed from the list.

Features
1. You don't actually get to train units, but every so often a group (say around six) of Peasants will spawn at your main building. They can then (using various buildings) be trained into things, like a builder, or a soldier, or an archer and so on.
2. When you decide you want a hero, you get to choose what spells he has and various other things. So if you have lots of money, you can buy him lots of good spells.

If anybody has any suggestions, or new features for the above, please post it.

Any other ideas with anything else would also be helpful. Remeber - If you are helping, always check the first post as that will be updated regularly.

Thanks monkeywithagun, Bartuc08 and emjlr3.

- Skinny77

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
i could do spells ,and I am decent for ideas, but I dont really feel liek editing untis and structures and shit like that, to much of that I am already doing with my maps

S

skinny77

What do you mean by spells? Do you mean you have ideas for them, or do you mean you can make them? Anyway, it's good to have you on the team. Thanks for volunteering.

- Skinny77

emjlr3

Reaction score
meaning I am good at creating ideas for spells, as well as I can make just about any thing you can come up with, give or take

If you havent checked out any of my spells, I have 3 spell maps currently at wc3sear.ch, 2 of which are in top 15 :)

and that life drain hole that is currently number 1, Ruination and I made that about 3 weeks ago, better then that one even, but never submitted :(

in anycase, cool that you added me, looking forward to helping

any idea when anything will begin?

or is there anything I can work on while I wait?

btw I am good with triggers, so if you would need any help in that departetment I could be of service

also soudns like on the major things you need is terrain ATm, I can help with that as well, mroe to polish off, because I don't feel like creating a new one from scratch

your idea sounds good, and just mainly I don't want to be doing the tedius stuff, such as unit/item/structure editing/creating

S

skinny77

Well, it's good to see your happy to be on the team. I guess we can get started now.

If monkeywithagun would be so kind as to start on the terrain.

And emjlr3 you can start making any spells you think would be good for the game.

- Skinny77

Bartuc08

Reaction score
Bartuc08 said:
i have a feeling its srota like a mpa i was thinking of doing where u can get like 5000 units

anyway, make it sorta like this

u build a house, every 3 minutes a unit is made from the house, (villager)

u take your villager and bring him to an academy, where he becomes a militia, thne u take him to a barracks where he can become a footman or spear man, or to the archery range where he can become an archer

or u caould bring that villager to a workshop where he can become a miner or a lumber jack

then if u made a footman from the unit u can bring him to the stables to get a horse and then become a knight

the gold mine can hold 200 miners, who will harvest 1 gold every 3 seconds

to be continued, i gotta go end of class time

alright ill contuinue from here

lumber jacks will harvest lumber of course,

about making knights u gaining the knights and stuff, the horses are made from stables like 1 every minute or so,

the food i was tihnking could be ran like u have farmers( another working class unit) that will gather food, now u have say a 200 food limit in the first stage of your civlization then the next u have a 1000, the farmers would gather like 1 food every few seconds, and thne like every 60 seconds it will take away food to feed your units, after a while if u cant supply sufficient food amounts your troops or workers will die off, till its all balanced again, this idea would work extremely well in seige cases, now if u can also work out a system where archers can change there attack style from close range( fires directy at target ) to seige/defensive range (fire into the air to rain death on the units) also heros that will gain abilities to units like, a archer type hero that has fire arrows, makes archers shots on fire. give footman units and spear men a defend ability, that will deflecxt like 80 to 90% of the arrows fire at them.

and if u want u can also make a demon team using the fel Orc models make it

now when u start the game youll need like a king or somthing, kinf and a few workers for the human team, and a summoner and a few demon pawns for the demon team, the demon team instead of being mainly building based to build unit would instead be summoner based, ( maybe) using black mages and demons to summon more demons, theyre workers/ black mages could be gained by converting the enemies to the dark side (lol)

the human ide could maybe even build priest to convert Nuetral villagers and towns to theire side

and u can eventually if u figure out make a morality sysytem where the higher the moral or if you win a great battle your soldiers will be more willing to fight and there for fight harder, for the demons they could gain power through mass murders they complete

(sounds like this map is gonna be super computers ,2 player only, Lan)

and with upgrades like iron plating and stuff make it so theirs like an initial cost of 200 or sumthing, then make it like 2 -5 gold per the unit that will use the armor, so if u buy iron plating and u have 100 footman, then it will take 200 + 200 (due to soldiers), but it will only affect thos effected by the upgrade,

More to come later on

(edit) by the way im pretty good with trigger based spells

S

skinny77

Whoa, steady on Nelly! I like your ideas, but not all of them. I feel as though the rest of the team and I isn't getting enough say in this. I like your idea of units spawning at a main building then being trained into different units, primarily because it's very realistic. I had an idea for another race, which I hvae added to the list. I am currently in the process of making some kind of unit table. Once it's done, we will change things to our liking.

emjlr3

Reaction score
ok so there are the diff races possible, is there 1 hero for each race, or many heroes any race can choose from, if 1 for each race, or 2, i could come up with ideas for each and begin them, but if tehre are a bunch total, some initial ideas of the theme for some would help me to start making em, and what exactly their purpose is, support? to inflict damage? a bit of both? what?

S

skinny77

Well, I personally think only one hero per race. And their main role would be support, so think auras and abilities like Bloodlust. However, they should have one ability for attacking other heroes, like Storm Bolt, or something.

- Skinny77

emjlr3

Reaction score
if you just want gay abilities like that....what do you need me for???? jp, I get what you mean, Ill get on it ASAP, one for each race you listed

W

wasupseb

hi

hey skinny its seb please can i join your iccle club i dont have msn so i dont know how we can stay in touch see ya at scool tumorow please reply
lots of hellos from seb
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee cant wait to join youre team

emjlr3

Reaction score
i am a little confused, you say you want mostly support auras?? they are all already in the game, as well as plenty single target nukes..... in a way maybe I just need some ideas to go off of

S

skinny77

Hello Seb. Please don't act so immature. Read the forum rules before anything, I don't want you getting banned this early. You can join the team for sure, read the post's, and see what's what. If you have any ideas post them.

emjlr3, I can see where you're coming from. How about this: every hero has an aura to support nearby troops (please make it custom so the map is more original), one hero killing ability (once again please make it custom), one ability based on whatever you want (your the hero maker!) and finally, an ultimate based on the heroes race.

Bartuc08

Reaction score
sorry if it seems im letting u have no say its just these ideas have been in my head and i thought i should let tem loose, theyre just suggestions , not what your gonna do , keep that in mind please

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.