Legacies: Tides of the Serpent

Red Beard

Part-Time helper.... Full Time Lurker
Reaction score
A long time ago on b.net. This game used to be very popular. It would be hosted at a very regular pace and the games were always full.

Then it died.

The promise of a sequel went unfulfilled and travel to the fabled "Razor Coast" became a dream. WoW came out, and suddenly Legacies: ToS became obsolete.

The game starts out on a group of remote islands near the tomb of Sargeras. Some strange energies have begun to emanate and heros from around the world have journeyed to discover them, and to ensure that they do not fall into the hands of the Naga.

The game boasts an incredible amount of unique heroes.
characterselectiongp1.jpg

And unlike many RPG's out there, it is very low powered. Finding a ring of +3 armor is considered an imba drop if ur melee as is a pendant of mana (+75).

There are no critical strikes that deal thousands of damage nor are there heros with hitpoints that read off the scale.

The heros start out at about the strength of a normal WC unit. And by about lvl 10 they become as strong as a normal hero unit of about lvl 1-3.

Its expertly balanced, team play is essential and so is a decent party makeup. Much like "real" Rpg's. A healer is essential, as is a tank (or two).

happysnaphealingitupuv0.jpg

Leveling once you reach level 10 is quite hard. The beasties on Fang island are very strong, and even a good party requires a retreat after a big fight. You develop a very healthy hatred for murlocs after playing this game.

One of the factors that makes this game unique is the camera view. ITs a bit tricky to get used to at first, and thus i believe the reason that new players leave. But with a bit of practice, its barely noticeable. It also compliments the incredible terraining that this game has to offer. I'm so tired of RPG's with crappy terrain. If you are too, check it out.

happysnapexploringfangisleau8.jpg

The camera view also adds to the emotional impact of the game. It gets tense at moments, and not being able to look behind you causes the adrenalin to pump and your mouse pad to get drenched from your sweaty palm.

Another factor, whilst not so unique, is the assortment of incredibly rare items that are to be found. They do not 'break' the gameplay, but they give a very nice edge to your character. They are rare however with a less than 1% drop from unique monsters.

The game requires the player to eat food regularily. (which prevents characters from camping at semi-safe spots) and limits your amount of revivals with the use of soul gems, each revival costs 3 gems, and the max amount saved is 12.

The gems can be bought from Slurp, a friendly treasure loving murloc, found in various drops, or recieved as rewards.

happysnapslurpandvaultsz3.jpg

Esentially I am posting about this game here sa as to invite people to try it, give it a go. If you have got some time to kill with some friends, or want to try something new. Try Legacies.

I am starting to host this on a regular basis. Mostly on Northrend as thats where most of my friends are. But I can jump onto another server np. PM me if u feel u want to join.

Try not to let good maps die.

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
I LOVE this RPG, I have a lvl 6 rifleman and a lvl 5 footman, but I need to find my load codes..

Is your name Red Beard on Northrend?

Red Beard

Reaction score
No, on b.net im known as 21st_Gunslinger

i would change to Red Beard, but then my codes would be obsolete.

A handy tip for your codes is to take a screen shot of them.

Then type out the code in notepad, (no mistakes). Detail ie; class, lvl etc.

Then when u play you just have to copy/paste..

Easy.

Some people have a hard time doing this.

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
Red Beard said:
A handy tip for your codes is to take a screen shot of them.

Then type out the code in notepad, (no mistakes). Detail ie; class, lvl etc.

Then when u play you just have to copy/paste..

I always take a screenshot, save the screenshot, then type it in notepad and finally write it down on paper.. unfortunately my pc had a wipe not long ago and I can't find my paper :(

Red Beard

Reaction score
heheh unlucky

With two people, it takes no time at all to power lvl to about lvl 7 first game.

I'm trying to get a bit of a team together so we can run some loot raids and just play the darn game a bit without.

Shame there hasn't been some more responses.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
Hm, I remember that game, I've never played it on BN though.

Sounds interesting, maybe I'll catch you on Northrend sometime. ^^

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
It looks familiar, mainly because of the hero selector screen... I may have DLed it once upon a time, but never got into playing it...

Too bad I don't play WC3 anymore, or I might play with you :) I may re-install everything later, but it'll be MUCH later. Hell, I still need to get MS Word back on my computer.

Red Beard

Reaction score
I have an important Announcement to make...

Legacies: Tides of the Serpent is back! Bigger and Better than Before.

The game system itself has undergone a complete overhaul. The terrain in the earlier versions was incredible and the new version has amplified this tenfold.

The game also now boasts an introduction to 'wise up' new players.

The skill system has been revamped, with non caster units not requiring mana to use their abilities, also many of the skills have been changed or improved in order to truly synergise with the new system.

The reknowned items have been altered. Crafting is now a major and integral part of the game thus requiring greater interaction with the gaming environment and furthermore enhancing the roleplaying aspect.

Combat as well has been changed, in more ways than one.
One of the most controversial changes to the combat system is the way that armor functions. Now instead of adding directly to your base armor class, armor items possess the innate ability to block a certain amount of dmg a percentage of the time.

Another change is the passive critical that all melee units have. (generally it stands between 1-3%).

The new version is controversial, engaging and an absolute MUST for fans of rpg's.

Check out the foums at

And download the map at

http://files.filefront.com/opt_Legacies_TS_v11M_neww3x/;6337450;;/fileinfo.html
Check it out now.

Red Beard

Reaction score
For those that are interested there is a new version out.

Version M is a minor bug fix of the beta.

Not sure about the changes, will post a changelog once i get my hands on one.

If you havn't done so already, check it out

Syrus

Reaction score
hey, i've been playing Legacies too and someone said there might be version 1.3 outhere, have i been informed wrong or?
Latest version i ahve is 1.1M, is there any newer or?

If there is could u pls contact me and so we can exchange version

i'am from eurobattle.net

cyas

W

Warbadger

Hello, this is FM_Bilouxi, you may find the recently updated version of this map at:

http://files.filefront.com/opt_Legacies_TS_v11M_neww3x/;6337450;/fileinfo.html (version 1.1M)

I deeply regret not being able to complete Razor Coast, but the project just became far too large for one person (FM_Osiris had begun work on NOTD II). This version includes many of the features that were slated to go in along with Razor Coast. It has some bugs, but I'm sure you will all enjoy it. Further development hinges quite a bit on finding a stable location to base the project from (the FM forums went down) and competent, honest mappers to do the work (my time is now very limited). This project definitely did not reach it's full potential, it was designed ground up to be a modular trigger system allowing for a large selection of maps. The plan was to have Razor Coast (a maze of cliffs backed by the expansive barrens), Thousand Needles (a series of deep, lush river valleys connected by a maze of caves and topped by a barren desert), and finally a trip into Ashenvale. In a more recent turn of events the FM forums went down without warning and have stayed down since less than a week before beginning the monster review where each and every monster would have abilities added, stats changed, and/or some form of basic AI added in response to the changes made to the heroes.

Overall, I am proud of the map and it's accomplishments. It was the first to introduce saved heroes and we got about as close as possible to creating a true MMO with the available tools, as well as making it fun and balanced.

R

Ranik

Looks and sounds intresting, I'll try it when i get back to my mom on sunday.
RB, I will add you to my friends list when I get back, just pre-add me, Ranik @ Northrend

G

Galmar

Awsome!!!

Its absolutly frikken AWSOME to hear that Legacies is now being worked on again, I randomly found a "K" version of the map and assumed it was a hacked vers, I'm real thrilled its the FM guys working back on it again.

I used to be hardcore addicted to this map, if any of the old community are around or fancy a game just /w Galmar on Northrend when I'm on and I'll throw one up, It'd be great to get back into this.

Oh order-fm.net is dead now, any chance you can get a new forum up for the map? I'd love to see this completed.

Ein_Nichts

Reaction score
Host

It's been some months since the last post in here. But i am sure if i found this page, another legacies player will.
I started to play lega 1.1m a while ago, we are only 2 players now, that creep a bit around on a pretty regular base. Got a lvl 12 druide of the claw by now.

Well, if you play that game once again on bnet, be sure to wisper me, if you need a host, i can :)

Acc: Ein_Nichts on Northrend

F

Flapjacks

Looking for a more permanent party

I'm trying to get a more permanent party of legacies players together as well. If anyone is interested my name is Flapjacks and I'm on US West pretty frequently.

Hope to see you

Ein_Nichts

Reaction score
I see, there are still some people looking for this game. But i got a question:
It seems that the turtle shell, which you need to craft the shield only drops in pairs? I saw it drop like 3-4 times, but always two shells dropped from diffrent smaller turtles in one game.

Kinda same with the pendant of mana, it drops from lvl 6 warlocks but always combined with a rune of recharge 15%. Kinda bugged?

F

Flapjacks

Nah I got my turtle shell as a single drop, and I've seen pendants of mana drop multiple times but never with a rune of recharge in the same game.

Must just be coincidence.

Ein_Nichts

Reaction score
Bugged Version

After that long Lega game i had today i gotta say: that version has some bugs/ features i don't agree with:

First of all the story. we had a decent group of 3 players, one of them the beloved headhunter. In an earlyer game we got him darkspeer javelin (at least the crafting description told so) which needs whestone, stone slab, just easy stuff. But the Itemdescription told us: Darkspear Harpoon, and made imba 60 damage at lvl 8.
Nevertheless, we started to harvest for the next item in the craft menu: the darkspear harpoon. We thought the itemdescription was just a typo, and it took as about 30 minutes to get those 2 ironwood (freaking hard wood!) and ingots. We expected another imba weapon with around 70 damage, crafted it and what happend? Made Darkspear Harpoon (Itemdescription, right with the crafting menu) with same damage, icon, all!
Summary: You get imba headhunter weapon by crafting wrong weapon out of shitty materials!

Next was some typo in the requirement list for the headhunter vest (leather), which said it need cured stalker vest, but there is only reinforced. but no big deal on that.

Other points: Fel Robes have lesser mana regen than darkspear wrapings? Or did i just watch wrong? Deeplords shouldergard drop way to often! But craft menu lacks of another (low-leveled) plate-armor. Taurens fear sucks, give me back the warstomp!

I know biluxi or whoever stopped the work on this, but i think there would be tons of other guys (at least 2 or 3) that could work on that map. I think this version is just not too good.

G

Galmar

I know biluxi or whoever stopped the work on this, but i think there would be tons of other guys (at least 2 or 3) that could work on that map. I think this version is just not too good.

QUOTE FOR TRUTH

Ok, lega was a LONG time dead, a handful of people played it (myself incluided) now after a year or whatever since osi went to WoW you make a small update then end work on it?

For the love of god if you dont intend to fix the bugs and work on the map, unprotect the map and hand it over with your notes / ideas to somone else, shit even I'd do it.

There are a ton of bugs, and I really hope the project is continued rather then abandoned again.

Ein_Nichts

Reaction score
Don't think there gonna ever be another version of this game, nevetheless i like to play it. Just at the moment we are 4-5 people doing lega-games, so there are 4-3 spots free to run with :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.