Marijuana

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It is because of the addictiveness of Marijuana.

I don't know if it's addictiveness or not; I never had much of a problem stopping. Although it was when I was a teenager so I hadn't been on it for very long. I think it's more appealing because of the effects it causes.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's addictiveness or not; I never had much of a problem stopping. Although it was when I was a teenager so I hadn't been on it for very long. I think it's more appealing because of the effects it causes.

Marijuana is not that addicting. It definitely does not cause a physical dependence. Cigarettes are addicting - if I get low on my nicotine level I start to freak out. I know alot of people that smoke marijuana and it is not a big deal for them to go long periods of time without it. Sure they probably want to do it but they dont get cravings and go out and steal stuff to get it. That is Crystal Meth and Crack that do that. Not marijuana. Also, marijuana does not have nicotine in it.

Varine

Reaction score
Marijuana is not that addicting. It definitely does not cause a physical dependence. Cigarettes are addicting - if I get low on my nicotine level I start to freak out. I know alot of people that smoke marijuana and it is not a big deal for them to go long periods of time without it. Sure they probably want to do it but they dont get cravings and go out and steal stuff to get it. That is Crystal Meth and Crack that do that. Not marijuana. Also, marijuana does not have nicotine in it.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying: there isn't too big of a dependency issue.

Although I've noticed people's intelligence levels go way down after a while of use. For like the first four months after I stopped I could feel my mind working slower, although it may just be a feeling and not really true, I don't know.

Regardless, think about it. When you're really drunk, do you usually try and drive? Probably not a lot, maybe sometimes if you have to. When you're really high? Always. I always drove while I was high.

Zakyath

Reaction score
>Regardless, think about it. When you're really drunk, do you usually try and drive? Probably not a lot, maybe sometimes if you have to. When you're really high? Always. I always drove while I was high.

Wouldn't that just be you acting stupid?

>However, legalizing it will INCREASE the people that use it, not decrease it.

Well, why not let increase the amount of people who do what they want with themselves? Isn't it a good thing?

Varine

Reaction score
Wouldn't that just be you acting stupid?

Obviously, since I smoked it. Regardless of my past stupidity, others continue to do so and the number will only increase with legalization.

Well, why not let increase the amount of people who do what they want with themselves? Isn't it a good thing?

Not when it makes them incompetent to perform normal activities as they would sober.

Zakyath

Reaction score
You don't think one should be able to control his own mind? Have his own thoughts, and affect it as he wants? Keeping people from doing things to themselves should be illegal. Doesn't sound like a democracy at all. Shouldn't everyone have the freedom to fulfill their will, as long as it doesn't have harm on others. Being high on marijuana isn't one of the highest causes for car crashes and it would save your country lots of money to legalize it. Also, your cops could focus on "real" crimes.

Varine

Reaction score
You don't think one should be able to control his own mind? Have his own thoughts, and affect it as he wants? Keeping people from doing things to themselves should be illegal. Doesn't sound like a democracy at all. Shouldn't everyone have the freedom to fulfill their will, as long as it doesn't have harm on others. Being high on marijuana isn't one of the highest causes for car crashes and it would save your country lots of money to legalize it. Also, your cops could focus on "real" crimes.

I agree. If it were to be legalized but you weren't to leave private property I wouldn't care as much if people actually would adhere to the law (which I seriously doubt they will). Being high IS one of the leading causes of car crashes, though.

Zakyath

Reaction score
>Being high IS one of the leading causes of car crashes, though.

No. The five leading causes are:
-Unsafe speed
-Driving on the wrong side of the road
-Improper turns
-Violation of the right-of-way rules
-Violations of stop signals and signs

Source: California DMV

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
To be honest, is it really THAT BIG of an issue right now. Look, right now, how hard is it for someone to obtain marijana. Not very. So if you wanted to do it, just do it in private. Already people are forcing smoking out of public places (at least in the state of Illinois) so you would just have to do this in a private manner.

Legalizing marijuana will just piss people off. Its not the most potent stuff on Earth, but I'm sure people would freak out and think its as addictive as crack or as damaging as meth or pcp.

The fact of the matter is, the system is working how it is. Only minor changes would really be worth anything. How about lowering the punishment? Or having drug police concentrate more on drugs that really hurt society. There is a meth problem in the US currently.

Anyway, at the end of the day, do you really think enough politicians would be willing to take the risk to do this?

Zakyath

Reaction score
This topic is about whether you think it should be legal or illegal, not a debate about how important question it is or if we think politicians will legalize it.

An American is now arrested for violating cannabis laws every 38 seconds and the U.S. federal government spends over 600$ a second on the War on Drugs (which isn't even working). Many people being locked up filling (y)our prisons (costing even more) for things they shouldn't be punished for and you all spend tons of money on nothing.

Maybe you don't think it's the biggest issue, but it certainly needs change.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Arguing every time that marijuana should stay illegal because it impairs you and causes car crashes is like saying alcohol should be illegal for the same reasons. Half of you seem to think smoking one joint will get you so high you have no idea what your doing when its far from it. Thats not how a hallucinogenic works. Some people may get wasted after drinking only a few beers while others may be able to drink a dozen before they can no longer act accordingly. Its goes for marijuana as well. What has to be thought out is not the substance but the abuse. Teenage kids tend to abuse alcohol which sometimes causes car accidents. What you have to think about is what kind of people and how many will abuse marijuana if it is legal and to what extent.

You think marijuana is illegal because its a dangerous harmful substance that will kill you? Hell no, while by no means is it good for you, its no where near as harmful as cigarettes. "But oh, it kills brain cells"... so does alcohol but I dont hear any complaining there. Neither alcohol or marijuana is going to fry your brain unless, once again this word... you ABUSE it. If you abuse any drug out there, even prescription drugs it will harm you.

Long story short, if you ask me I would prefer banning cigarettes. I would much rather have some idiot smoking pot in a chair nearby than a cig. At least then I wont be breathing in all those toxins. The real issue with legality is ABUSE. Alcohol abuse is always common but you can only drink so much until you lose control or pass out or have to take a piss every 15 minutes while pot can be abused for a much longer period of time causing hallucinogenic effects.

Should marijuana be legal? Possibly, but never to be used in public at any time. Potheads will always be potheads and buy whenever they want but marijuana is unarguably a good remedy to relieving short term stress and much better than drinking it away. I also consider it a safer root than any of the Anti Depressant drugs out these days as well if taken in moderation.

Marijuana has many good assets to offer in specific circumstances, but people seem to look only at the abusers and assume its a dangerous substance.

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
This topic is about whether you think it should be legal or illegal, not a debate about how important question it is or if we think politicians will legalize it.

An American is now arrested for violating cannabis laws every 38 seconds and the U.S. federal government spends over 600$ a second on the War on Drugs (which isn't even working). Many people being locked up filling (y)our prisons (costing even more) for things they shouldn't be punished for and you all spend tons of money on nothing.

Maybe you don't think it's the biggest issue, but it certainly needs change.

Arguing about something even though you KNOW it wont change is pointless. Think of it like this, marijuana will stay illegal, just like fire will stay hot. Never gunna change. You can argue all day about how fire wont burn your hand if you touch it. But it still will. -You can say all you want about weed, but it wont change anything, so why bother continually arguing it?

Zakyath

Reaction score
Because I like arguing :p I don't think any of the debates on th.net will ever change the world.

But I think it will change, not today, but in a few decades from now. The younger generations seem to accept marijuana much more, and knows that it's not as dangerous as everyone think.

Varine

Reaction score
Because I like arguing :p I don't think any of the debates on th.net will ever change the world.

But I think it will change, not today, but in a few decades from now. The younger generations seem to accept marijuana much more, and knows that it's not as dangerous as everyone think.

And once the younger generations begin to mature they will be against it as all of the older ones are.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
And once the younger generations begin to mature they will be against it as all of the older ones are.

I doubt it. Marijuana in the present generation is used as frequently as cigarettes were in the old days. Except this time studies wont come out showing the insanely negative affects of marijuana as was the case with cigarettes. (Because there are none)

I'd say over 50% of the people I know that are around my age group smoke weed frequently or at least occasionally.

Varine

Reaction score
I doubt it. Marijuana is the present generation is used as frequently as cigarettes were in the old days. Except this time studies wont come out showing the insanely negative affects of marijuana as was the case with cigarettes. (Because there are none)

I'd say over 50% of the people I know that are around my age group smoke weed frequently or at least occasionally.

Use of drugs has been incredibly high for the past four decades in the US. I see very little reason for much to change regarding people's views on drugs as they mature.

Zakyath

Reaction score
The drug use is increasing in the states pretty much, so I don't think it would be so stupid to believe that more people will start to be more acceptable against drugs.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
Only evangelicals and republicans have sought to distinguish marijuana. Their lives are so sheltered and so uninformed that the only way to combat change is to condemn it.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Only evangelicals and republicans have sought to distinguish marijuana. Their lives are so sheltered and so uninformed that the only way to combat change is to condemn it.

That's being completely close-minded.

Also, by saying that, you're saying that all republicans are just as close minded as you are.

Obviously not every single person who is a republican or evangelist is against legalizing marijuana, or else there would be no such thing as the political spectrum; only democrat or republican. The third parties are mixtures of policies from both sides, as well as their own ideas.

Although you may believe anyone should be able to smoke marijuana, I am against it.

It's not because I am close minded, or that I am uninformed, or even that I am sheltered. It's because no matter how much you may say to the contrary, the fact still remains that marijuana has many negative effects to go along with all those good ones.

Marijuana smokers can also get other people around them high, with the second-hand smoke. I believe people have the right NOT to get high from the second-hand smoke, and the state does not have the power to make sure that every smoker does not pass smoke to others around them.

If it were as simple as you say it is, that we are simply stubborn, then it would have changed by now.

Name calling is such a bad technique to argue a point. In fact, my own teachers have been saying it since I was a freshman in high school. The only thing it brings is flames, and makes the other side completely ignore you. No one is going to listen to you if you call them a name.

The alternative is to respectfully disagree, or to point out their error, as I have done above.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.