More then 1 build menu

Jessi

I'm so green. Like a Machine.
Reaction score
Have a spellbook (no build icon), and have a dummy spell that says "next page" and one that has "previous page" then have it so when they're clicked it uses a hidden spellbook, getting rid of the first, and the second one has the next set of buildings, and so on..

Reaction score
It's definetly possible.

Nature's Call - Circle Defense has a very good implementation of it. No idea how it's done though.

I took a look at it, and its made using the normal build menu, and a spell book with a "build tiny ~~" ability from what i could tell. It could work using both, but the problem is getting more then one building into the spell book.

Or you could use spellbooks, two on one unit and trigger every single building.

How would you go about it? I'm not even sure if "build tiny ~~" abilities have a listed order id in GUI triggering...

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
what I meant is:

Code:
BuildTownHall
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to CustomBuildTownHall
    Actions
        Set {local timer for building countdown variable} = 100
        Unit - Create 1 Town Hall for (Triggering player) at (Target point of ability being cast) facing Default building facing degrees
        Loop from 0 to {local timer} 
            Unit - Set (Last created unit) construction progress to local timer integer
            etc...
        Endloop
        Remove leaks scripts

You'd have to create an ability and trigger for every single building type. Make it once, make sure its correct and works, then just copy and paste changing the building.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is definitely possible, i once had a system like this (i've lost it). I don't know how it worked though it was probably replacing the unit. (Interflows escape builder also has something like this, and that replaces the builder)

G

guevara_cf

True!

One thing I hate about the idea of replacing unit is the fact that the hotkeys that the unit is assigned to gets broken.

That may not be as much of a problem for others, but I rely heavily on unit hotkeys to maintain my sense of order in the universe. :)

I totally understand that! But I imagine there is a trigger you could use to store hotkeys... I think.

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
dude just edit bear form
same hotkey
diferent attacks and can handel
another build menu

ShadowTek

Reaction score
I totally understand that! But I imagine there is a trigger you could use to store hotkeys... I think.

There may be some way to do that in JASS, but I don't see anything like that in the GUI. It might be possible to use the "game - force ui key" to rig something up, but I can't get it to recognize the control key.

Gameman, your suggestion would probably be the best course of action in this situation, but I'm just curious to explore this specific issue since it has been raised. :)

gameman

Reaction score
dude i just said edit bear and stop form stop going over complacated and just make it simpler
im sorry but simpler things can make a better result

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
whoa i found something strange, when i was trying to add abiliteis to a unit i saw the abilities "build (human), build (nightelvs), ect" anyone know what these are for? i cant find them on the ability editor and when i tested a unit with one of those abilities, well.. nothing happened

just posting this find here, if anyone knows what it dose, it might be able to help

he dosent want to change or replace the unit, also if you have multiple morph abilities useing the same base abilities they will bugg each other

gameman

Reaction score
those never really did any thing for me lol

but try editing them in the editor maybe you will get something

ShadowTek

Reaction score
Psiblade: I think you have to use an ability that has the same baseorderid as the spell that is listed on the casting spell list. I think you have to change another ability to have the same baseorderid as one of those. Thats just a guess though; I though I remember reading that somewhere.

Also, maybe you could create several morph abilities that are based off of channel so that you could change the baseorderids and avoid conflicts. I'm not sure if that can be done properly (I'm no expert); I'm just suggesting what I would try to do. :)

Gameman: what I was trying to say is that I am not recommending my method over yours. I think that there are some (other) situations where unit replacement is the only option, and I was curious to take the opportunity to explore the possibilities of that situation while I had the chance.

gameman

Reaction score
ok sorry :(
ill go take some anger management classes
just kidding

ok realy what situations do you mean when you have to replace the unit i dont get it when do you ever need to replace the unit ? :confused:

never really had to do that

ShadowTek

Reaction score
Well, in one of my maps I have a trigger that replaces the unit of a player that has been killed by a teammate (while defeating the owner of the killing unit with some scornful remarks). The unit is replaced with a unit of the same type. Everything works out nice and smooth except for the fact that the new unit is not assigned to any hotkeys.

I could use a selection action to immediately select the new unit for that player, but that's about all I can figure out how to do.

Reaction score
what I meant is:

Code:
BuildTownHall
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to CustomBuildTownHall
    Actions
        Set {local timer for building countdown variable} = 100
        Unit - Create 1 Town Hall for (Triggering player) at (Target point of ability being cast) facing Default building facing degrees
        Loop from 0 to {local timer} 
            Unit - Set (Last created unit) construction progress to local timer integer
            etc...
        Endloop
        Remove leaks scripts

You'd have to create an ability and trigger for every single building type. Make it once, make sure its correct and works, then just copy and paste changing the building.

I tried using a trigger like that, the problem with doing it that way is that its kind of inaccurate. Like, creating the buildings at the point might displace them one square over from where you want them to go, and if you try to create it on unbuildable terrain then it creates in a completely wrong position. But i guess these are problems some If conditions could solve, but the building grid would still be nice... :eek:

whoa i found something strange, when i was trying to add abiliteis to a unit i saw the abilities "build (human), build (nightelvs), ect" anyone know what these are for? i cant find them on the ability editor and when i tested a unit with one of those abilities, well.. nothing happened

just posting this find here, if anyone knows what it dose, it might be able to help

he dosent want to change or replace the unit, also if you have multiple morph abilities useing the same base abilities they will bugg each other

As far as i know they dont do anything, I've tried fiddling around with them, but they dont seem to do much, aside from giving funny error messages... like "must build on blight" even when im trying to build a scout tower...

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
thats odd as hell o_O

as for a solution, i once again point at the items solution, yes its an extra click, but it shuld get you what your asking for, and from my knolage of useing items, and item's activateable ability will not bug another item's activateable ability, they might share cooldowns, but it wont bug
(i used a universal dummy ability when i was makeing my itemed style hero building system for aviation wars)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.