Need to find cause of desynchronization error.

Taishaku

Reaction score
A desynchronization error has persisted in the Wintermaul map that I have made. I am a fairly experienced mapmaker, but I have been unable to figure out why it occurs. In addition, at least five other experienced mapmakers, some from these boards, have been unable to determine the cause either.

It occurs only on the first level, shortly after the first spawn. There is no discernible pattern for the people it drops. Also, the disconnection is unpredictable; some games it happens, some games it doesn't.

And just for the record there are no:
-Local variables.
-Pan camera triggers.
-Artillery units with passive abilities.
-Memory leaks; there are variables used throughout the game that are left unremoved though.

And the map imported the Triggers and Objects of another Wintermaul map, though almost everything has been redesigned.

I am attaching the map. I usually don't attach unprotected items, but this error has made the map unplayable, as 2/5s of all games end with mass drops. Until it is fixed, there is no point to sharing it.

Attachments

• Wintermaul Redux v2.01.w3x
    321.9 KB · Views: 222

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I think you're asking a tiny bit too much when you say "EXPERIENCED MAPMAKERS ONLY". It is in GUI, correct?

I have found errors in my own code from people I might consider 'novices'. People see things different ways.

And just for the record there are no:
-Local variables.
-Pan camera triggers.
-Artillery units with passive abilities.
-Memory leaks; there are variables used throughout the game that are left unremoved though.

-Local variables: These do not 'cause desyncs'. Perhaps you are thinking of GetLocalPlayer?
-Memory leaks: I believe there are a number of them, well hidden inside the GUI. Not that a few memory leaks will ever cause a desync...

Sorry if I seem a little harsh, just trying to help you find what you need. :eek: If you're who I think you are, I took a look at the map, and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
"EXPERIENCED MAP-MAKERS ONLY!"
I understand you want only quality help, and that might be frustrated by this problem, but just think of all of us as experienced map-makers. Number of posts and rep scores mean nothing, besides that the user is very active. We all have something to contribute.

I know for a fact that recently another user had a similar problem involving changing the level of a spellbook, and it caused a chronic desync with his map.

Other than that, try going over every trigger with detail. Don't leave a single memory leak, it could be just one in a large looping trigger that is derailing your map.

If it desyncs after the first spawn, then there could be something wrong with the movement triggers. Also, try placing every custom unit in the middle of the map, then removing them, to prevent any lag when units are created for the first time.

And if my help is completely useless, it does not make me an inexperienced map-maker, although I welcome your criticism.

Taishaku

Reaction score
@Darthfett
Nothing wrong with pure GUI. I mean, it's just a TD. =P

Yes, you took a look already.

I put out the disclaimers because people always asked.

@da1nOnlyEd
I don't have any Spellbooks.

I have gone over every single trigger. This is why I am requesting a fresh pair of eyes. And as Darthfett said, memory leaks do not cause desynchronization.

It doesn't desynchronize after the first spawn, ever. Also, it sometimes does not desynchronize.

I already have a preloading trigger that creates and removes all of the mass spawns.

If you're experienced, see for yourself whether or not the map has any issues. I have spent months looking for the problem. MONTHS. I gave up for the summer, but still, I have no idea what is wrong.

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
This might sound strange, but I had a couple of run-ins with this in the past.
Disabled all triggers, and people still desynced.

Re-created the map ( terrain and units ) and I just copy pasted all triggers from the other map, and the desync was over.
IF and I repeat, IF you have the desync even after disabling all triggers, there might just one thing you can do about it, just like I did..

Though, It might have been just 1 unit or other widget with ability's / stats that caused it but I didn't know which one.

AriesX_420

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my map, it is the Dice rolls in regards to attack dice, and Gold Dice. If you set them both to 1 and 1. The game will not desync, im pretty damn sure this is your problem.

1 and 1 meaning number of dice, and sides of dice. sorry im only 3 years late on the post, im looking for something else.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
After 3 years, I doubt the problem still needs to be fixed. The general rule is not to post in any thread over a month or so old.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.