New map size limit likely

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can fit all I need into 4mb (including custom models)

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Most maps need like 1mb more space to finish all the features. I could finally add all the features I wanted and not use the plain old wc3 units as creeps but make some new ones. More maps will have new custom features like full screen bag systems and tech tree's. Nothing wrong with that.

XxShadyxX

I abused the rep system.
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone thinks extra stuff is crap...
We never know. I think 8mb will increase the potential of great maps being made.

punwisp

Reaction score
I saw a map uploaded on hive... 7.54MB all it was, was custom models, that was seriously all in the map, no terrain lol

Thats at LEAST 200-300 files

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
If people upload those maps, no one will play them soo it won't affect you and they will realize that they actually need to work on the map.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
DVD, what we are trying to say is that 90% of the maps now are crap. With the extra space, they will be pretty crap.

TheBronze

Reaction score
Honestly, this talk is offensive.

I created a map that hits the limit (Coming of the Horde http://www.mapgnome.org/map-info/375866). Sure it uses lots of custom stuff, but I think the gameplay is unique enough and fun enough that it doesn't matter what the limit is, there are going to be good and crappy maps out there.

Fact is, the crappy ones don't get played, and the good ones do, regardless of custom stuff.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to lower the max file size limit? That is simply reducing oppertunities that map makers have.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
Fact is, the crappy ones don't get played, and the good ones do, regardless of custom stuff.

Wrong. Unless the map is popular enough to get people to download from an external resource, I doubt a bloated map has much of a chance.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Wrong. Unless the map is popular enough to get people to download from an external resource, I doubt a bloated map has much of a chance.

Wrong. Parasite 2, Symbiote, Metastasis (I think they are all crap, but they were / are popular, and have a huge map size).

I can come up with other examples if you want.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
Wrong. Parasite 2, Symbiote, Metastasis (I think they are all crap, but they were / are popular, and have a huge map size).

I can come up with other examples if you want.

Never heard of any of these maps...

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
I LOVE Symbiote II AWESOME GAME!

Actually
If you think about it, all those "Crappy" games which have a load of junk in it (music and stuff) would still disintegrate if the limit was still 4 MB, because if a maker imports all this load of junk in it just says that they probably wouldn't work very hard on the map in the first place, therefore it wouldn't make much difference at all, just a slightly larger waste of your time having to look at it.

KillerChi

Reaction score
I'm very confused, why do maps take so long to dl if they're only, sub-8mb?
But, a bigger map size will make some maps looks nicer with models and what not.

8mb isn't a lot for a file. I have a lot of maps...
128 8mb maps = 1GB(Approx.)
1,000 8mb maps = about 8 GB.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Personaly I think its great. I don't expect to get even close to the limit. But if I want to add music, I can. At a High Cost of download time. But I think alot of maps can benfit from this, Most will probley not because they didn't near the 4 meg limit.

Riseing the limit to 8 meg, is great because it allows more space, But as others have said, there are those who will abuse it, and add stuff that are high in megs, that dont help the game much.

If i find a sound effects, or music that i feel truly adds to my game ill consider added it, as I prefer to have a higher Quality game, even if it means less people can download it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.