Newbwc3's Model Projects

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
Wow. It is really neat to see peoples efforts working together to create their own material. Good effort man. To see that thing in action would really bring it to life. I would add more spikes though like mentioned earlier, and if it were mine I would segment it just because I personally like the look that gives. I'm not sure however what poly count you are trying to stick to so theres the chance it would go up if segmented. Overall cool. I may be enticed to submit some ideas, I've though often of becoming a concept artist. My brother could help me get into the field, as he's already been there for some time. He does the 3-D models though like what you are doing. Anyways cool, sand-worm was my fav as well.

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
Hmm, your right it just isn't coming along like I had invisioned it
Untitled.jpg

Sould I make it have a segmented body? Sandworms arnt supposed to have a segmented body tho...It looks like a small larvae.
http://www.andrewnavaro.com/images/color/sandworm_b.jpg
See that ones cool^ (i didnt draw it) :)

Edit: good drawing in paint btw

Yea, it sucks when your trying to come up with original idea's and images of FF concepts come up, I was going for the Midgar cannon actually.

Nice, looks pretty good so far. Try to make the purple much more brown if you can, just so it fits (Thats if you weren't already going to :D)

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
Your bro makes models and stuff like this for a job? do tell :) Its what im intrested in.
EDIT: Aquter im trying to use in-game textures

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
Your bro makes models and stuff like this for a job? do tell :) Its what im intrested in.
EDIT: Aquter im trying to use in-game textures

He's worked for a few different companies and has contributed to many titles released and being released for the xbox 360 and some other platforms, but to be honest I don't follow those I only like PC. His latest work has been on Halo III which recently landed him a full time position with Bungie. He got on just before Christmas and was pretty stoked about that. For the new material coming out of Bungie, he will help with that. One of the online levels for Halo III is going to be completely his creation from ground up. It was a level he was working on for a personal project of his but they liked it so much that they want to have him make a few changes and then submit it for online play. He seems to enjoy it very much and I'm sure would recommend it to you. And even though hes a modeler/artist he still get to join in all the game testing so part of his job is not only to make games but to play them. He has it really rough, I kinda feel sorry for him.

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg
3-1.jpg

519Polys :( and its not segmented. I could make it segmented, but then the poly count would rise.
I <3 the underbelly. Its transparent with team color, using some peice of the Frost Wyrm texture. And the inner mouth it from the grizzly bear. Spikes come from zergling, mouth from theforgottenone, and body from duneworm.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
That's really cool, I like the underbelly as well. I'm curious how big it is? Could you put some footies next to it. I am wondering if it could swallow them whole? Also when animating will it be able to burrow in and out of the ground as its scoots along? Oh and I think you poly count is still within reasonable limits so not to worry, but that's only based on what I know of games. I have no idea what an average WCIII character has though I would think its right around there give or take a little.

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
An average Wc character has about 500-600 I think, and then there's the unaverage special wc characters like heros that can have up to 900. Since this is a giant sand worm I beileve I should make it about 750 Because no one will want to place tons of giant sand worms on their maps, only like one for a boss or somthing.

How many polys does a character in a Xbox360 or PS3 game have? just curious

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
Hmm, your right it just isn't coming along like I had invisioned it
Untitled.jpg
Sould I make it have a segmented body? Sandworms arnt supposed to have a segmented body tho...It looks like a small larvae.

it wasnt supposed to look segmented

Edit: good drawing in paint btw

===========================
how did you import the textures attached to the models into 3ds max?

p.s. the body needs to be longer
EDIT:
P.s.s. can you have the meat wagon missle in his stomach so it looks like he ate some body?

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
Do you have 3dsmax? Anyway I open up magos editor and find all the textures I want and right click on them and export them to my desktop. Then I convert all them .blps on my desktop to .TGA cause max cant read .blps, then I put all them .TGAs into a folder named textures on my desktop, Then I assign them to materials.

After you export the model into a .mdx you must change it back into a .mdl and change all the texture paths to the exact paths that you got the textures from in the MPQ browser.

>meatWagon missle, nope sry. It'll be cool tho I'll try and make him eat ppl. lol
ddd.jpg

I guess I'll rig it for animation now since no one has any commentary to add to it, other than it needing to be longer. I added ridges to its body on the sides, and some tenticle whisker things, much more beasty.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
The new additions are really good, I like the ridges and the tentacles.

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
1)
7-1.jpg

2)
h.jpg

TDR from hive said it looks like a Sea Cucumber...So which one 1 or 2?
#2 is zergling texture the purple things look like eyes.

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
I went crazy with it and changed many things.
InsideBody!
2-2.jpg

Side View:
5-1.jpg
WC Screenie
Not exactly like invisioned, but it sure does look awesome. lol It could go on a Ps1 game.

Now the poly count is 906, but who cares :p Just dont place a ton of them on the map and it should be fine right?

My question to you is: Does it need to be smaller? (look at wc screenshot)

D

Dark_Dude

I dont think its too big... hwat ya gonna do about the animation are u gonna do it yourself , ive never animated models but if u do that in maya Im just getting started with maya if u need any help pm me or something :)

NotTheHelper

Yeah, its under your bed.
Reaction score
I wish i could draw creatures like the beast you drew...my sketches never come out nice like that.

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
Not worryed about how big it is anymore...
I have some questions somebody may know:

1) Should I center the model in max at the head or in the middle of the body

2) How would I go about to give it a shadow? Is there one already in wc that fits it? How do you make one?

3) Should I give it a morph animation so you can click a button to have it burrow underground or stay above ground. Or should I just make it jump in/out of ground uncontrollably during walk?

4) and im not so sure if this long in length model will look good when turning :/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.