Health Placebos Help Even When Patients Know About Them

shinami

Redirect your complaints to the nearest wall
Reaction score
That have nothing to do with math! :rolleyes: Well, you know people have different personalities. and therefore they can't Just pic out random. Sevion

Jesus_facepalm.jpg

Okay, at this point I think you're just trolling everyone. If so, good job.

madd_999

Reaction score
Yes I know I should not feed or reply, but that picture just made me want too.

While many American doctors administer placebos without telling their patients and see results
don’t know how ethical that is, as far as I know, at some point the patient/test subject must know what there on, unless they have a disorder (can’t remember the name, though I should know it as I study psychologies) which makes you think you have stuff but don’t really have it..

"We hypothesize that we built up positive expectations," he says. "We set up the idea that it might not all be in your head but also didn't require patients to believe, just to take the pill."

Perfect example of self fulfilling prophecies, they are not the solution of everything, but it does help to think positive.

almost twice as many of them reported symptom relief when compared to the control group.
symptom relief is not the same as being cured, it a thing of the mind mostly.. we think we feel better so we do feel better.

@1st post of Romek, so do I, should show this at my collage teachers, really interested in what they have to say about it.

@shinami and Firecat nice discussion, but before research is done, there must have been a setup, this setup is made by the researchers and judged by a board to see if the research will do more “good” than “bad”. Don’t know how to exactly explain this, and people who participate in this kind of research know the risks they sing up. Unless this is not included in the setup for a good reason and the board agrees with it.

We got some information about the group, although more information is appreciated. The groups are most likely created random, using a sub-random system making both groups equal to each other. Personality has really nothing to do with it. People are different but nor different enough to make a scientific difference, unless you have a rare disease or mental disorder (these people will most likely be rejected at singup). Algebra has also nothing to do with it. Definition of algebra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>symptom relief is not the same as being cured, it a thing of the mind mostly.. we think we feel better so we do feel better.

The mind IS the brain. If you "feel" better, then there are chemical changes in your brain that MAKE you feel better. These are mostly done for psychological disorders in which the "feeling" is the disorder.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Algebra has also nothing to do with it. Definition of algebra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra.

You're in college and you don't know the three pillars of proper experiments? ._.'

Like I said earlier: you should have learned this in Highschool Algebra.....

1. Control or Comparison Group
2. Random Assignment of Treatments to Subjects
3. Sufficient Number of Subjects

If you have a problem with this, duke it out with my math textbook.

shinami

Redirect your complaints to the nearest wall
Reaction score
Yes I know I should not feed or reply, but that picture just made me want too.

don’t know how ethical that is, as far as I know, at some point the patient/test subject must know what there on, unless they have a disorder (can’t remember the name, though I should know it as I study psychologies) which makes you think you have stuff but don’t really have it..

Perfect example of self fulfilling prophecies, they are not the solution of everything, but it does help to think positive.

symptom relief is not the same as being cured, it a thing of the mind mostly.. we think we feel better so we do feel better.

@1st post of Romek, so do I, should show this at my collage teachers, really interested in what they have to say about it.

@shinami and Firecat nice discussion, but before research is done, there must have been a setup, this setup is made by the researchers and judged by a board to see if the research will do more “good” than “bad”. Don’t know how to exactly explain this, and people who participate in this kind of research know the risks they sing up. Unless this is not included in the setup for a good reason and the board agrees with it.

We got some information about the group, although more information is appreciated. The groups are most likely created random, using a sub-random system making both groups equal to each other. Personality has really nothing to do with it. People are different but nor different enough to make a scientific difference, unless you have a rare disease or mental disorder (these people will most likely be rejected at singup). Algebra has also nothing to do with it. Definition of algebra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra.

That's sort of the whole point of placebos.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Just cause I don't feel like I have cancer, or because I don't feel any symptoms of cancer, does not mean I don't have cancer.
(Though some argue faith/religion is the greatest placebo)

The mind isn't that strong.

madd_999

Reaction score
The mind IS the brain. If you "feel" better, then there are chemical changes in your brain that MAKE you feel better. These are mostly done for psychological disorders in which the "feeling" is the disorder.
But these chemical changes do not need to be triggered by medicine and it’s not the disorder I mend. Its hypochondriac. I do not know how exactly it is used in English. Then again there is also the nocebo-effect. Which is exactly the opposite to the placebo effect.
And they both work the same. You think you are, so you are.
@Esb, that is still something where research is done to. Until now we believe it can’t. But the placebo effect can increase the rate at which you are recovering from a disease.

@ Sevion
Still I do not use algebra to get my data,
I use it to examine the data I have collected to draw conclusions. For the random sampling, that can be done in many ways and in which most of them don’t even conclude math done by the researcher.
And yes those are the 3 pillars, but it is not necessarily to do math or algebra to learn them. Although it’s nice to see that they also teach you that in your math class.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Dude. It's statistics... Statistics is derived from Algebra...

Experiment results == Statistics

-_-'

Also, his name is "esb" not "asb".

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Thank you Sevion =]

What I'm trying to get at, is that Placebos aren't miracle workers. They will only 'trick' the mind/person into believing they're getting rid of a disease/sickness that their mind tricked them into 'having' in the first place.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Algebra is used in statistical testing such as this. "X% had a effect, Y% had b effect, etc."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.