Request Suggestion for Mages

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
Well, I'll try explain my mind..

In most of AoS, the mages/support are totality useless late game (after something like 40 minutes), so I'm searching ways to balance it with heroes DPS.

At this time, I'm using a AP (Ability Power) system which will increase the damage of all spells, like a hero of DPS getting item with +10 Damage.

Theres no problem at all here, but I wanna a suggestion from other peoples.

Ability Power Percent should be based on Base Damage or Base Damage + Ability Power?

Look an example:

Ability Power (AP): 20
Ability Power Percent (APP): 15%
Spell Damage (SD): 450

In the first way, the math will be:

SD + (SD + AP) x APP = 520.5

In the other way, the math will be:

SD + SD * APP + AP = 537.5

So, in the first way, you notice that deals less damage (because I 'null' the AP only getting 15% of it)

My question is:

Should I make the APP be Percent of SD + AP or just Percent of SD and then add the AP?

Any other suggestion to improve mages/support heroes late games are welcome :thup:

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
Here's an example I would use to balance late-game play:

damage = 75 + (10 * ability_level)
if (ability_level > 5) then
damage = damage + (25 * ability_level)

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
@Bribe
?? o.o what?

@DioD
I already do it.. i don't create 3487745y384 skills with different level and damage to do this >.>

I just want to read some opinion... is good, bad, fine, wrong, funny, something

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
Well math is not my area of expertise, so I try to keep things as simple as possible. What about basing Ability Power off of Intelligence? The equations would be up to you obviously, depending on how your hero's intelligence is modified by items and gaining levels. Here is just an example:

Base Spell Damage + [8% Intellgence + (2% * Hero level)]

So that abilities will deal base damage +10% of hero's intelligence at hero level 1, and will increase by 2% for each level the hero gains.

I like using intelligence because a DPS hero's physical damage is directly affected by their attribute(s). So it makes sense for a spell-caster's ability power to be directly affected by them as well. (I don't know if you are already basing your AP off of attributes, I'm just throwing this out there.)

Something else I have done in my current map is not only increasing spell damage through ability power, but also spell affects such as AOE and spell durations. It takes alot more work and balancing, but it provides for a very interesting and dynamic gameplay.

DioD

Reaction score
i suggest you to perform sqr dependant bonuses.

if you add bonus 1, it will give you 1 damage
if you add bonus 2, it will give you 4 damage (2*2)
if you add bonus 3 ..... 9 damage

more skill more damage it gives, not linean bonus.

to make focusing on single attribute effective only in some range, i may suggest parabola function for calculations or finubacci spiral or something like this.

ofc you may scale values down 10-20 times to make it balanced.

also you may perform complex or non linean calculations. (also you may random bonuses)

like every 5th point give 2 times more then everh 3rd and every 3rd provide only half as every 4th...

personally i used scaled sqr functions.

it scaled by 5 down, every bonus poin is decreased by point * 10%
soo max base is 9 times, since 10th will give 0 anyway.

1 bonus will increase damage by

1*10% == 0.9
0.9*0.9 = 0.81

8.1% scaled down to 5%

2 bonus will increade damage by

1*10% == 0.9
(0.9+2)*20% = 2.32 = 5,3824

53% scaled down to 50%

or you may start bonus from large value and decrease it in long run.

first 10 attribute gives 10%
next 10 attribute gives 9%
next 8%

or start with really large value like 20% per point and half this value every point.

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
@tommerbob

Yes, my Spell Damage is already based on Main Attribute :p

the idea of dynamic duration and AoE is really interesting

EDIT

@Bribe

I want it to be more dynamic, increased by items and skills, same as DPS heroes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.