Sad News for the People in the Starcraft 2 Beta!

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
(Old)Sad News for the People in the Starcraft 2 Beta!

I had recently gotten into the Starcraft 2 Beta along with the Second Wave of invites and I couldn't have been more excited.

Then I read the Blizzcast #13 and found out they have a high probability of not including the Galaxy Editor in the beta at all.

This will mean bad news for us modders/map makers, but good news on the game release coming within the first half.

Here's a direct quote from Chris Sigaty from the Blizzcast #13 interview:

"You haven't asked this question yet, but I'll answer it ahead of time. We were targeting three to five months for the beta, we're really at a three month period of time for the beta at this point. We are still targeting the first half of this year, so with that in mind, it really shortens the window of time with our major content patch coming out pretty close to the end whether it's even worth it putting out the map editor at that point."

Hopefully you guys aren't as disappointed as I am. Talk to you all soon!

--Beetle

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
It's the same thing really. Instead of having "beta" written on it, you're getting the release version. The time it comes out would not have significantly changed anyway.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> Hopefully you guys aren't as disappointed as I am. Talk to you all soon!

I'm not.

I am though that I didn't make it through the second wave!

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
Well, from the beginning on they said that they would include the Editor in a later stage of the beta and not right from the start.

Look at the bright side:
Initially they said that SC2 will stay in beta phase for a least 6 months, maybe even more if technical issues are coming up.
In the BlizzCast they reveiled that they're aiming for a 3-5 months beta (more shifting towards the 3 months).

So you might actually be getting the full versions, and thus the Editor, even faster than expected !

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Q. Are you guys still working on the Map Editor; and if so, what features are you planning to incorporate into the final piece?

A. Yes. We're still working on the Map Editor and currently working on the publishing system. We intend to release an early version of the editor during the beta so the map-making community can get a head start creating their own maps. This is going to be a stretch for us to pull off, but our hope is to get it out before the end of April.

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
Q. Are you guys still working on the Map Editor; and if so, what features are you planning to incorporate into the final piece?

A. Yes. We're still working on the Map Editor and currently working on the publishing system. We intend to release an early version of the editor during the beta so the map-making community can get a head start creating their own maps. This is going to be a stretch for us to pull off, but our hope is to get it out before the end of April.

You beat me to updating my own thread :(...

EpicFlux

Reaction score
I absolutely cannot wait for the Galaxy Editor. With all the new features and power put into it. Even if it had half the power to what they boasted it to be, it probably still will be amazing.

So who's gonna incorporate the Uberlisk in their maps? I know I am!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.