Sci/Tech Shockwave-Generating Wave Discs Could Replace Internal Combustion Engines

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Michigan researchers have built a prototype of a new auto motor that does away with pistons, crankshafts and valves, replacing the old internal combustion engine with a disc-shaped shock wave generator. It could slash the weight of hybrid cars and reduce auto emissions by 90 percent.

The generator is about the size of a saucepot, and would replace the 1,000-pound power train in most cars — no transmission, cooling system, emissions regulation or fluids needed. Norbert Müller and colleagues at Michigan State University showed off the new motor prototype at a meeting with the Department of Energy’s Advanced Research Projects Agency.

It consists of a rotor carved with wave-like channels. Fuel and air enter through central inlets, and the rotor spins to block their exit through a separate outlet. The sudden build-up of pressure generates a shock wave, compressing the mixture. Then it’s ignited, and as the rotor keeps spinning, the outlet opens again to let the hot gases escape. New Scientist explains in further detail.

Last edited:

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Probably will get bought, boxed and put in the vault never to be seen again and anybody trying to do the same thing sued into oblivion.

This.

chanta45

Reaction score
Out of curiosity how does it do away with the pistons? Those are used to transform the kinetic energy from the explosion into the rotational energy of the wheels, which in turn goes to the frictional energy that propels you forward. I wish it talked more about that, but still it's awesome!

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
The pistons transfer the energy to the crankshaft. From what the article describes, this basically acts like a crankshaft and pistons in one thing.

I had no idea that vehicles used that little of the energy for propulsion. I always just assumed it was 40-50% and never really tried to look it up.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
The reason i'd get this is because when peopld be like look at my car its so cool, id be like "oh yeah? well my cars runs through the use of goddamn badass shockwaves!"

If companies don't force this into the ground I could see this becoming the standard in a decade or 2

Varine

Reaction score
It's about time. We need an actual revolution in transport. Not including the electric car thing, but those are stupid. They don't even really save energy.

chanta45

Reaction score
Oh thanks TheHelper, I did check it out and didn't see specifically where it said it combined it. Cool stuff though!

Varine

Reaction score
It didn't say it specifically. I'm guessing that's what it does. TH's link says there are no pistons or cams or valves. The article says there isn't a crank, meaning that it has to take over for all of these. And based on that description, that's exactly what it does. Unless they are putting one of these on every wheel, which seems unlikely, I'd bet that they have a differential attached to it. Making it act as the pistons, and the crank. Which are, in essence, the majority of the internal combustion engine. Which makes sense, because this is what they're trying to replace.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Is it supposed to look like a device made out of pure sorcery?

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
It's about time. We need an actual revolution in transport. Not including the electric car thing, but those are stupid. They don't even really save energy.

I agree that electric cars are stupid
not only because they are slow and ugly (in most cases), but because they don't produce that awesome 'wroooom!' sound
does this "thing" produce any sound? I mean those are friggin shockwaves Oo'

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
'wroooom!' sound
does this "thing" produce any sound? I mean those are friggin shockwaves Oo'
Here You Go! Here's an example of how it sounds

[youtube]2kd2QzyBPVE[/youtube]

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
FUEL!!
[YOUTUBE]SIzefQCfYt4[/YOUTUBE]

electricity.
[YOUTUBE]7u6Xt3GRMS8[/YOUTUBE]

you can't even fart in it cause everybody outside can hear you...

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
It still uses fuel.

Your point? It uses way less...

>>see my point?

You'll probably be given the option to install a soundmaker that sounds like a V8 for you weirdos who like noise pollution.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Your point? It uses way less...

>>see my point?

You'll probably be given the option to install a soundmaker that sounds like a V8 for you weirdos who like noise pollution.

There was an episode of southpark, where people that cause noise pollution are labeled as fags :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.