Siege Engines are way too rigged.

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
Siege Tanks are just too powerful if the humans got an arch'mage level 6 with Mass Teleport and a Town Portal : they just destroy your base and go out (works well also with a orc as ally with blade master or feral spirits).
But it can be easily countered with siege units that are NOT air. If you try 11 wyrms vs 20 tanks you will lose all your army and tanks will just ram away your base.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
Siege Tanks are just too powerful if the humans got an arch'mage level 6 with Mass Teleport and a Town Portal : they just destroy your base and go out (works well also with a orc as ally with blade master or feral spirits).
But it can be easily countered with siege units that are NOT air. If you try 11 wyrms vs 20 tanks you will lose all your army and tanks will just ram away your base.

That's a REALLY big if. also, you already need a unit inside their base to tp in their base. Also, level 6 archmages means you pretty much only have the am, and not multiple heroes which you should be doing. Overall, it requires too much money, time, and chance. If you are an aggressive player, all you need to do is harass and you'll win quickly against a siege, or you'll be able to tell when it is happening and counter effectively.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Or take my advice:

Take your time. Each wave all have weaknesses. One thing is for sure, that to counter a wave, a person must understand what conponents each wave have.

EXAMPLE:

Enemy wave: Hero, 5 footmen.
Your counter should be:

Hero, and something that has advantages against footmen. Up to the same number as your enemy's (that would be 5 of your advantageous unit in this example).

Same thing, try to find each unit's weaknesses by using World Editor as a guide. Just put down a different player's targeted unit (the unit that we need to find its weaknesses), and then pick each unit available on our side, one by one. You have to make them run towards each other for a balanced outcome. The surviving unit will then be claimed advantageous against the targeted unit. Slow, but profitable. A penny earned is a penny gained.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
no one really attacks in waves. The pros put on constant pressure, so the other person can't do anything.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Y'know...
I'm going to try this siege engine tactic. It seems so hard to counter :D

D

dunpealx4

not really, thats why you have unit that deals seige damage. also, seige engine has short range and slow movement. it can only attack building and air if you upgrade it. you can trap the seige engine with your units easily.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Y'know...
I'm going to try this siege engine tactic. It seems so hard to counter :D
As long as they dont scout. If you get matched against noobs, its really really easy to win with it... if you fight against good players its not allways that good of a stratagy.

C

Cryo

you know instead of air attack, they should make it so they can run over units cause the big giant log they use for a wheel with spike and the fact take the log it self weigth a ton would make it really good at running things over:D

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
For better performances on countering siege attacks:

Play ROC, then learn to dwell the units.

After you'd mastered ROC, move on to TFT.

Each game version comes with a great effort in succeeding your opponents. A single unit differences between ROC and TFT may end up forcing you to go back to the drawing board, because they contain different tactical strategies.

Although similar, facts from pro gamers have found there's a huge difference for each race. If you mastered ROC pretty well, mastering TFT may still take a while. Life still goes on, reaching for goals that you've never met before. That the key point in Blizzard's games.

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
Siege engines are pretty useless unless you are planning on making 6+ of them. Riflemen are faster to produce(i think) and are more versatile. Siege engines are fun when you send a single tank to attack their expo and they walk all the way back to defend it. Works a lot more better in team games, assuming the team is cooperative. You send your main army and allies to attack a base, and like 2-5 tanks to attack another, itll stuff up their priorities (if their crap) and their concentration will be split between their base and attack.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Siege engines are pretty useless unless you are planning on making 6+ of them.
thats what this strategy relies on: spamming siege tanks

Riflemen are faster to produce(i think) and are more versatile.
only in AT games
Siege engines are fun when you send a single tank to attack their expo and they walk all the way back to defend it.
better get a mortar team
Works a lot more better in team games, assuming the team is cooperative. You send your main army and allies to attack a base, and like 2-5 tanks to attack another, itll stuff up their priorities (if their crap) and their concentration will be split between their base and attack.
nvm but if you get 2-5 tanks your normal army is weaker. Your army is weaker ---> your army is pwned ------> they TP and kill tanks ----> they own you base. gg.

As long as they dont scout. If you get matched against noobs, its really really easy to win with it... if you fight against good players its not allways that good of a stratagy.
this strategy is also used in pro games

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
So, the siege tanks teleporting to enemy's base tactic is good enough?

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
really only get seige if you'll mass TP in their base (which requires a lvl 6 AM) or if the enemy spamms air, and even then only get 2 or 3 with rockets.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I tried 2v2 AT with this tactic. I teched early and very quickly, while trying to level up my AM.

Then, my ally was attacked by HUGE forces. And strong. And my AM wasn't level 6 yet.

I decided to send my 12 or so siege engines over.

We won.
12 engines raped both their bases (they did retreat and were trying to kill them) before they could kill my ally. And they got a head-start :D

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
siege engines = technology = advantage

Advantage + warcraft = call for re-balance

Balance + seige engines = need for a new unit

Its Maths :D

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
only in AT games
Wrong.

better get a mortar team
Tanks are more fun, they actually make the enemy panick. Tanks are also able to get in deeper, whereas morts would get killed quite quickly.

nvm but if you get 2-5 tanks your normal army is weaker.
Not really..
Your army is weaker ---> your army is pwned ------> they TP and kill tanks ----> they own you base. gg.
They will either tp, or not tp. If they do then the other guy is left alone to take the attack. This means at least 1 less hero in the fight as well as an army. If he doesnt tp his base will be fucked up, or at least his concentration will be split up between the map which will ruin their micro.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.