SPELL CONTEST #2 | Theme: Forbidden Arts | RESULTS POSTED

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
I wanna make a spell. I just need an idea. Oh fuck me..

Why you dont allow those pseudo locals btw? Im just curious.

edit. I think if you convert your GUI spell to Jass and replace some globals with locals, it should be judged as a jass spell.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
People may know the 'caster model' as a 'dummy model'. If that clears things up for you, then there you go.
It's just an invisible model with an "origin" attachment point.

Also, if you're stuck on what to make, think Darkness, Poison, Alchemy, etc.
That was my idea of "Forbidden Arts" :D.

> Why you dont allow those pseudo locals btw? Im just curious.
Converted GUI and Pseudo locals are fugly, and are difficult to judge.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Ok, now me has an idea. Its pretty nature themed, but I guess it might work.

Damn, I just love these contests.

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
If I make my spell MUI by setting the custom value of the units in the map different, would that be "forbidden"?

Also, I don't reallt get the theme. Can't I just make any spell I want and just think of a story like someone used it and accidently killed someone, that's why it's forbidden. Would that fit the theme then?

Edit: Are you only allowed to submit the spell once the contest is over?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A nice tranquil heal wouldn't exactly be forbidden by the way. So if your spell is some nice calm nature spell, then forget it. :D
One word to describe the theme could be "creepy". If your spell is creepy, then it'll probably fit in with the theme.

Draphoelix

Reaction score
Question: How do I use the caster dummy, do I attach a special effect to origin and then destroy the effect? But then it will dissapear later. Will it cause leak if I don't destroy?

Also, does the spell have to be import-friendly?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
>Add me in Please =)
Just submit when you're ready. :)

> Question: How do I use the caster dummy...
You attach an effect to it like you would to any normal unit.
It's just another unit.

> Also, does the spell have to be import-friendly?
Preferably. Using 4000 systems isn't the way forward. :)

Gwypaas

hook DoNothing MakeGUIUsersCrash
Reaction score
It's not allowed.

Plus the "system" you posted it just a bunch of BJ functions.

Beware... unnecessary function calls take points away...

No that script would not make you require unnecessary function calls since the newest JASSHelper will inline them.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
One word to describe the theme could be "creepy". If your spell is creepy, then it'll probably fit in with the theme.

Dont you dear change the theme. Theme is 'forbidden', and if I can include that word to my tooltip you have no right to complain.

Forbidden doesnt neccesarily mean anything creepy.

edit. Well yea, theme is forbidden arts so maybe I need to tune my idea a lil´ bit.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, the theme isn't changing.
We wouldn't ever change it.

I'm just saying, if you think the theme is too open, and you can't think of any ideas, then just think of that.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Also, if you're stuck on what to make, think Darkness, Poison, Alchemy, etc.
That was my idea of "Forbidden Arts"

Just to give more hints, my vision of "forbidden arts" is something really diabolical, not meant for the mortal eyes...

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There you have even more inspiration. :D
(Maybe we should add those to the first post?)

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Actually, I have a new spell idea now. It is pretty dark magic, so I think it will fit the theme this time.

Nice to see that there is dummy model imported to test map, too bad I dont need it for this spell :(

polo2005

Wana start playing LoL? http://tinyurl.com/369as27
Reaction score
is it allowed to make a combo spells?
like you learn THAT spell, and first you use spell 1 and after that you can use spell 2 etc etc

eXirrah

Reaction score
RULES:
- vJASS, Jass and GUI are all allowed
- Hybrid-code is not allowed (Converted GUI, pseudo locals)
- Custom script in GUI to remove leaks is allowed
- Imports are not allowed, excluding Vexorians caster model (found in the demo map)
- Attaching systems are allowed
- 1 submission per member, 1 member per submission
- Your spell must be made for this contest. No submitting previous works.

> What is pseudo locals??
Trigger:
  • Custom Script: local unit udg_TempUnit
    • Set TempUnit = Triggering Unit

Etc. :)

Very nice rules you got there !!!

So you actually limit the GUI productivity by allowing the contestants to use Custom Script GUI function to only remove leaks. If WE makers thought that it is ugly to have hybrid code or something they shouldn't put the Custom Script function there at all....

My opinion is that this rule should be discussed and at least creating locals through GUI should not be forbidden cause if JASS can use locals GUI should be able as well.

Draphoelix

Reaction score
Why won't you just simple learn JASS then if you are going to use locals anyway?

But of course, even if the code look ugly doesn't mean the spell does.

eXirrah

Reaction score
Well what I mean is that using Custom Script function to create local variables through GUI is very important feature for GUI users to create MUI spells.

It has nothing to do with converting GUI to JASS or something like this.

I can code in JASS but I prefer creting simple triggers in GUI. I use JASS only when creating MUI triggers is not possible through GUI, GUI causes lag or when complicated math is involved. All other kind of triggers I create in GUI.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
I would like to use GroupUtils and some nice Walkability Check script by Anitarf ( edit. and GetUnitCollisionSize would be a very usefull script too ) but I cant do this because they are not attachment systems, am I right?

I think it is pretty stupid that only attachment systems are allowed. :thdown:

At least allow people to use Damage Detection systems so they dont go for Dynamic Triggers..

( or maybe you could just bann all the systems, so people would have to write their own attachment scripts. )

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
So you actually limit the GUI productivity by allowing the contestants to use Custom Script GUI function to only remove leaks. If WE makers thought that it is ugly to have hybrid code or something they shouldn't put the Custom Script function there at all.

It's to protect GUI users.

Pseudo locals don't work inside unit group loops and in conditions, for example.

No, this rule is not up to discussion.

I think it is pretty stupid that only attachment systems are allowed. :thdown:

What's the point in judging the code if most of it is done before, by someone else?

Though, re-inventing the wheel isn't great either...

I understand you, but there is a very thin line between what to allow and what to disallow.

Yes, there are a lot of useful snippets out there, which would make code more fluid and optimised but currently, the rules stay as they are.

Feedback is considered when hosting the next contest...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.