Suggestion - Awards

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I like to keep this site original, I don't want this site to copy anything that hive or wc3campaigns came up with, other than having a vbulletin forum system.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I think what it would start as, if it does, is that only mod/admin hosted contests have awards, and possibly if there's a really good contest out there, it might be approved to have them, though there would be no way of knowing if yours could be approved.
And asking might get it instantly disqualified.... :rolleyes:

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
> Imagine all the contests popping out, like mushrooms after rain.

[Contest] Make the best Contest!
[Contest] Tutorial Contest!

[Contest] Make the Best Question
[Contest] Make the Worst Question
[Contest] Make the best spam
[Contest] Plus Rep me!

oh and don't forget
[Contest] Make the best complaint

*laughs*
I can see the Chaos now ^^
It brings some joy in my soul :D

is that only mod/admin hosted contests have awards, and possibly if there's a really good contest out there,

Sigh... I'm sure this way is for the best but really everyone would want an award icon you know how insane those contest will be with the ones that have icons in them
Yet I think thats chaotic enough to bring some joy
*evil laugh*

Anyway I like the idea so why not just use it
if it gets too bad just remove them XD

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Well the award system has been around for quite a long time...

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> I don't want this site to copy anything that hive or wc3campaigns came up with
This is a vB plugin available to public. They didn't invent it.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
wc3campaigns got VBulletin after we did and I was glad when they switched because VBulletin is the best. The Hive used to be wc3srch ??? I never could get that name right and I don't remember what they used but it might have been vbulletin.

The awards system is a VBulletin plug-in that is free with registered copies of the board and we are registered....

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
> I don't want this site to copy anything that hive or wc3campaigns came up with
This is a vB plugin available to public. They didn't invent it.

I know they didn't make I just don't want to copy the concept of giving awards to Contest Winners.

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
Assuming we DO want this to work, I think the best solution would be:

Only a certain group of people can host contests. Someone can request a contest, for the contest hosters to host, maybe there should be a thread for that.

The hosters should be mods/admins or a small group of members selected to do that job.

Winning (or getting 2ed/3rd place) will give you an icon, and perhaps a repute award, given by admins.

The contest hosters should have mods' powers so they could stop spam and such.

My thoughts. Although I'm not sure this would work too well, it may get very active, or very inactive, it can cause many spams, and many people may get mad for not winning.

I think the Admins should think if it is a risk worth taking. In my opinion you should go for it, and if it gets out of hand, call it out.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
I'm not sure if many people remember. You had to have been around in the times of about Julyish. TheHelper removed the contest section due to inactivity. Well, one of the mods for that forum was Daelin. Daelin posted something like this:

Code:
- Mods/Admins will not be responsible for giving awards.

Or something such as that, hopefully some people remember it.

Well, I'm not sure if staff still abide by those rules but this might work I guess...

The thing is, it will become to hectic with contests and everything.

In my humble opinion, staff should be the people that post official contests, with official rewards. Just my two cents. ;)

esb

Reaction score
Well I wasn't there, but probably the awards was only rep...

So is this a go or no? Or a maybe?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I wasn't there, but probably the awards was only rep...

So is this a go or no? Or a maybe?

In the past awards were Rep. We are still not 100% decided on the Awards system yet but I would say things are leaning that way.

esb

Reaction score
Would it help if I made a list of all the restrictions (to the minimum) to help reduce spam, and things like that. And make life easier for admins.
Different possibilities too.
:D

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> list of all the restrictions

Restrictions for what?

esb

Reaction score
So that people don't spam with contests in order to get rewards.
Things like "You must be in a group/list of people that have permission to host a contest." or "You must recieve permission from an admin/mod to host a contest."
Because there could be about 5 contests for Skinning :p

Also, maybe not all contests would get awards, if it is a simple contest like "Skin Recolor"... maybe :p

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it is most likely going to start out as only official contests created by Mods and higher will have such rewards.

From there, it may expand to include a few hand-chosen contests here and there.

Only doing it and getting a feel for it will be able to show where it needs to go from there, in my opinion.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Well, it is most likely going to start out as only official contests created by Mods and higher will have such rewards.

From there, it may expand to include a few hand-chosen contests here and there.

Only doing it and getting a feel for it will be able to show where it needs to go from there, in my opinion.

In my opinion, it should be like the old days. If someone wanted to host an official contest, they would need to PM it to get approval from a mod/admin. And mod/admin's contests are automatically official. :p

esb

Reaction score
Well I thought only the top 3 places would get awards. So the winner of the contest would get an award...
Emjlr3's Spell Contest would be a good example on how the award would develop. "ContestName_ContestNumber(ContestHost)" 1st Place could get a gold trophy/award for Spell Contest #1 (emjlr3), 2nd Place would get silver, 3rd bronze.
Or you could customize it, instead of a trophy, you can make a ...Ribbon (Creative huh?).

EDIT:
Overview of how it could be if it does get accepted:

Contests must have a forum-related theme. (Nothing random like "Best Movie Review" or "Best Avatar"
Contests must have a perfect outline on Grading, Requirements, Theme, Judges, Description ready when applying to be approved. (So we don't have "More details to be added later")
Only 1 type of contest at a time (So we don't have 5 contests for skinning, modeling, and spells. Depending on the admins/mods, there could be different levels. For instance, GUI/JASS only :p)

In order to host a contest you must be a Moderator, Administrator, be in the "Thumb's Up" list, or have a personal "O.K."* from an Admin or Mod.
*This should be done through Private Message, with the full outline covering Name, Grading, Requirements, Theme, Judges, Description. Deadline can be given after you get enough contestants.

Trophy location:
forumawardscopyae5.png

Awards:
Icon in your profile with a description of the Contest you won. (Place_in_Contest_Contest #_(Host))
1st in Spell Contest #2(Emjlr3)
And rep like we do in contests now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.