Swearing

Is swearing acceptable?

• Total voters

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what people think.

There is intentionally no "maybe" in this poll. It's either yes or no.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
It's words, what are they going to do, attack you?

They show your "character"? Ok, so suddenly I'm smarter because I don't say damn, hell, etc. etc.? Bull. I'm more polite? Bull. I can be nice and clean mouthed while still being a jerk.

People just get so touchy over a few sounds. Unbelievable.

-Edit-

I'm curious about this now, too. Please EXPLAIN your vote.

Cognitor

Reaction score
This is an easy one. 1) Constitutional right. 2) Primary U.S principle that you can't stop people from saying whatever they want even if it does make you feel 'ikky.' Don't like it, too bad. It's just a bunch of sylables that make a sound that someone has defined to represent something bad.

What is a curse? What's the difference between "damn" and "f--k." They both, in the proper context, mean the same thing, they both have four letters!, why is one worse than the other? Hypothetically, if we banned the word "f--k," then everyone would say "damn" and then everyone would eventually consider "damn" just as bad.

Should people curse? Depends in front of who. Yes, it's not polite, but if the other person doesn't care, you shouldn't either. Traders go nuts with it, doctors not so much, and teachers probably shouldn't do it. It's not an extreme and we shouldn't make it out to be one.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
yes they should be allowed, if you get affended, change the meaning of fu-k to your own meaning.

Sud

"[If life=Dota] I'd have quit long ago" -- Acehart
Reaction score
Yeah, sqrage needs to spend his time working on fixing words like "offended" not worrying about curse words

Sud

Reaction score
Speaking in a particular tone of voice can "offend" people. People can take offense at any stupid detail. The more you worry about how they feel, the thinner their skin is going to get, so do them a favor and have no quarter.

Sud

Reaction score
2. If it was your consitutional right, we couldn't ban/sensor/delete posts. But we can.

Actually there are certain things you legally couldn't, however, nobody would ever bother to try to bring the power of attorney on a messageboard, complete waste of time and money.

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
SD_Ryoko said:
1. I think silver was refering to TH.NET forums, not globally, in person, morally or anything else.

2. If it was your consitutional right, we couldn't ban/sensor/delete posts. But we can.

So don't waste your breath on rights; ex-users have tried that here.

1. Actually, I did mean generally, not just here.

Rofl to the rest. :D

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score

Cognitor

Reaction score
SD_Ryoko said:
If it was your consitutional right, we couldn't ban/sensor/delete posts. But we can.
Sud said:
Actually there are certain things you legally couldn't, however, nobody would ever bother to try to bring the power of attorney on a messageboard, complete waste of time and money.

How wrong you are! 1st Amendment: "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press..."
Virginia v. Black - Established that certain speech is not protected. First Amendment does not protect speech that would incite a harm, riot or terrorism; this also includes threatening someone. Ever heard of "don't yell fire in a crowded theater"? It was taken right out of this case. It was also established that hate speech IS protected speech i.e swasticas, cross burning, etc.

The reason channels can censor, and you can delete posts is because they and you are not part of the government. FOX (for example) owns channels, it's their business, they can make any rules or 'laws' in their business that they want. They can choose to censor if they think it'll get them more viewers. You can choose to, or not to be associated with that business or service.

SO THEREFORE, it is ABSOLUTELY my constitutional right to say whatever I want without the GOVERNMENT doing anything about it (as long as I don't threaten someone or rally a parade to do harm to someone, which is perfectly reasonable).

SD_Ryoko said:
So don't waste your breath on rights; ex-users have tried that here.
They probably didn't know what they were talking about :D

Sud

Reaction score
wasn't mind your mapping partner

WOW those posts contain Conan emoism to the Nth degree

what'd he do to get you so ranty anyways

Sud

Reaction score
woo we have TH on our side, you guys are defeated now for sure!

1JadedJen

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money
Reaction score
It is a constitutional right to say what you want. However, since this is a privately run forum they can attatch any rules they want and if you agree to abide by them and become a member then you must go by those rules. They could ban the use of the word baseball if they wanted to and if you agreed to that when you joined you are bound by that.

Is swearing acceptable....in this forum setting, once in a while when it is used to make a point or illustration or example or give ooomph to a post and since TH doesn't mind the occasional swear (and not searing just to swear) yes, it is acceptable in that context. And in the same line of thinking...any context where a close group of people have decided that swearing is ok within their group.
such as your friend calling you a punk ass in jest would not upset you
LOL
However, in dealing with the general public, we as a society have said, certain words are not acceptable in polite circles and these words are called swear or curse or cuss words and are not acceptable. Although satisfying, it is generally not acceptable to scream to the driver who cut you off...PUNK ASS
Nor calling the customer giving you a hard time at work punk ass. (well, at least not to their face---- unless, maybe, you wanna get fired?)

Sud

Reaction score
It is a constitutional right to say what you want. However, since this is a privately run forum they can attatch any rules they want and if you agree to abide by them and become a member then you must go by those rules. They could ban the use of the word baseball if they wanted to and if you agreed to that when you joined you are bound by that.

That's only half correct. The forum is subject to the laws of the country the server lies on, thus, if they were using the forum resources for say, racially discriminatory or other unlawful speech related activity, then you would have a legal leg to stand on. Eulas/agreements are not the law (a good portion of the time a lawyer hasn't even drafted and revised the document) and are often not legally binding documents due to errors in them.

But yes for something like baseball they can ban that without issue.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Wait, someone can press charges for you discriminating against them because of race? But isn't that part of freedom of speech? :confused:

For me, I really don't care about swearing. It makes you SERIOUSLY look like a moron when you put F' in every other word.

It should be controlled; And you should refrain from it in a mature and controlled environment - It wouldn't be wise to walk up to your new boss and say "I got the F'ing papers you F'ing wanted, those were a B' to finish. I'm F'ing tired."

I only cuss online. It feels retarded and unnecessary in real life.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.