Sci/Tech The CCTV that spots crimes BEFORE they happen in Britain

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
CCTV cameras which can 'predict' if a crime is about to take place are being introduced on Britain's streets.

The cameras can alert operators to suspicious behaviour, such as loitering and unusually slow walking. Anyone spotted could then have to explain their behaviour to a police officer.

The move has been compared to the Tom Cruise science-fiction film Minority

It will also fuel fears that Britain is becoming a surveillance society. There are already 4.2million cameras trained on the public. The technology could be used alongside many of these to allow evermore advanced scrutiny of our movements.

-----------------------
The English are starting to scare me. 4.2 million cameras?

Last edited:

Berserk

Reaction score
Hmh. Not good I think. Even though it can stop something from happening, it also limits the normal people... Usually I walk quite slowly since I like walking, so that would alert me for unusually slow walking and then I might have to explain to police officer why I was walking so slowly, who might not believe me.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
That is awesome, but still wierd.

Yes, it would put some fear-limits to people, but if you act natural, they can't do anything to you. You just have to explain yourself. But yeah... that's annoying and they never even believe you...

But it's still cool to have as like a home security thing. :) 4.2 Million cameras in just Britain?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
<Anyone spotted could then have to explain their behaviour to a police officer.

England is becoming indeed scary. BS government they have.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The English are starting to scare me. 4.2 million cameras?

I didn't realise that...

That makes on average about 1 camera for 14 people. (14.4705329)

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Hmh. Not good I think. Even though it can stop something from happening, it also limits the normal people... Usually I walk quite slowly since I like walking, so that would alert me for unusually slow walking and then I might have to explain to police officer why I was walking so slowly, who might not believe me.

I wouldn't get too worried until they actually arrest you before you do something. But remember: Big brother is watching :p

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Does this government perhaps not realise how much its people despise its policies?

I can't remember who said it, but one analyst commented on the introduction of compulsory ID cards and said that "It will push the dissaffected into the realms of extremism".

EatShrooms

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
To protest, all british should start walking slow everyday and stand in place for a few moments frequently while out.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Related info is that this system is apparently already in use in the US.
The thing is, Cops in the US are less likely to use it for trivial matters such as littering. In the UK cops do not look out for real crime, instead they go after normal people who commit a minor crime such as dropping litter or speeding so that they can hit targets.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The thing is, Cops in the US are less likely to use it for trivial matters such as littering. In the UK cops do not look out for real crime, instead they go after normal people who commit a minor crime such as dropping litter or speeding so that they can hit targets.

This is true, for example I still don't believe that cops outside of NYC actually give tickets for jay-walking...

However I think that cops over here are far less likely to let people off with just a warning.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.