Timers and TimerUtils

Rushhour

Reaction score
I'm currently trying to get through the dschungle of timer systems and stuff. TimerUtils seems to be ok, but what I'm missing is some examples on how to use it.
This little testcode could be easily done without TimerUtils. :/
(I'm searching for a way to simulate TriggerSleepAction - the devil of all natives)
JASS:
function Test123 takes nothing returns nothing
local timer t=GetExpiredTimer()
    if GetTimerData(t)==2 then
        call BJDebugMsg("works")
    endif
    if GetRandomInt(1,3)==1 then
        call ReleaseTimer(t)
    endif
endfunction

function Trig_testing_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
local timer t=NewTimer()
    call SetTimerData(t,2)
    call TimerStart(t,2.,true,function Test123)
endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_testing takes nothing returns nothing
    local trigger t = CreateTrigger(  )
    call TriggerRegisterTimerEvent(t,10,false)
    call TriggerAddAction( t, function Trig_testing_Actions )
    set t=null 
endfunction

What bothers me are those two local timer variables. Do they leak? And if yes, will nulling them have any effect on the code/TimerUtils?

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
Yes, the two local timers leak. Yes you can null it without affecting the script.

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
No they do not.

>Yes, the two local timers leak. Yes you can null it without affecting the script.
Themis is not correct.
Thing is, I'm using another timer system also named TimerUtils and in some cases it can return a newly created timer. For example, exceeding the limit.
In that case, it does leak.

I null everything, even triggers. Who knows what the last update of Blizzard has done. Who knows, perhaps a second update adds the alpha channel to color codes, every map using "|cff****** |r is messed up.
Instead of testing it all the time, I prefer to take the best way.

Also
JASS:
call DestroyTrigger(t) //normally I don't do so, but I'm curious if this is necessary

That doesn't work, you add an event to a trigger that is supposed to execute after 10 seconds. But it is destroyed directly after. Won't execute.

Nulling that trigger won't harm the trigger itself, but it is not necessary.
However, sometimes it is and I suggest you null it either way.
You can however destroy it in the actions using GetTriggeringTrigger() if you do not need it anymore.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Because TimerUtils recycles timers!

Thing is, I'm using another timer system also named TimerUtils and in some cases it can return a newly created timer. For example, exceeding the limit.
In that case, it does leak.

lol? Then you need to recode your stuffs.

That doesn't work, you add an event to a trigger that is supposed to execute after 10 seconds. But it is destroyed directly after. Won't execute.

Nulling that trigger won't harm the trigger itself, but it is not necessary.
However, sometimes it is and I suggest you null it either way.
You can however destroy it in the actions using GetTriggeringTrigger() if you do not need it anymore.

Disable it before destroy it.

Rushhour

Reaction score
OK thanks so far, destroying the trigger was nonsense, forget it^^
Still unsure about the nulling, but I think I will null the handle in the Test123 function.

Is there any system that simulates waits (TriggerSleepAction) or do I have to build up my own one?

grim001_

Reaction score
Still unsure about the nulling, but I think I will null the handle in the Test123 function.
You don't need to null timers when you're using TimerUtils. The timers are recycled, so they always exist. You only need to null handles that are not permanent for the duration of your map. That's the same reason you don't need to null the trigger in your example.

Is there any system that simulates waits (TriggerSleepAction) or do I have to build up my own one?
It's impossible, so don't bother. You will have to use timers normally like everyone else.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.