Unit Group leak problem

hgkjfhfdsj

Reaction score
no need for testing, many have done them already
link weep uses damage area for collision, and he says theres no desync.. so go for your unit group with damage area if you want :)

mapguy

Reaction score
BUT YOU JUST SAY DAMAGE AREA CRASH ON mac !

I were using this to make colision for missiles.
now Im using immolation cause of the damn mac bug.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
mapguy, you seem to be addicted to GUI. I think you should just switch over to StarCraft 2 when it comes out, because you're never going to get good GUI results from WarCraft 3.

mapguy

Reaction score
mapguy, you seem to be addicted to GUI. I think you should just switch over to StarCraft 2 when it comes out, because you're never going to get good GUI results from WarCraft 3.

why are you so sure that GUI in SC2 is free of bugs and memory leaks?

I WILL FINISH THIS DAMN AOS (IM STARTING TO GET ANGRY) AND THEN I JUMP TO STARCRAFT AND REMAKE MY AOS THERE WITH FUTURISTIC UNITS.

hgkjfhfdsj

Reaction score
BUT YOU JUST SAY DAMAGE AREA CRASH ON mac !
where?? i just said it hasnt happened to me ..

but dont you think having this group recycle thing IN ONE TRIGGER is easier than over complicating the situation and create another new trigger just for that??

mapguy

Reaction score
I have a global damage detetion.
When my unit takes the area damage this damage is detected and the trigger is fired.

wait!
so this bug never happened to you?
I am starting to get really confuse?
is this really a mac bug? or it something people Modificate in their macs that causes this?

hgkjfhfdsj

Reaction score
yes but dont you want what the trigger does all in the one code? something simple like this, and used very commonly...

im not sure either, but its better and safer to consider all possible contingencies, esp when you want people to play your map.

mapguy

Reaction score
yes but dont you want what the trigger does all in the one code? something simple like this, and used very commonly...

im not sure either, but its better and safer to consider all possible contingencies, esp when you want people to play your map.

Im already RE-re-re-re-making my triggers to fit it for mac users.

FOR GOD SAKE! I LOSE MORE TIME FIXING BUGS THAN CREATING MY HEROES! THE HERO IDEAS ARE COMPLETELY MADE BUT I LOSE MY TIME WITH THOSE BLIZZARD BUGS SUCH MEMORY LEAKS AND @#&^%$(*!@^&($*%!@#$^12359$&@:banghead:

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
why are you so sure that GUI in SC2 is free of bugs and memory leaks?

Since you can do so much in the data (object) editor with customization, you don't even need triggers for many things. Those are native features (which are practically guaranteed to function properly).

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
[ljass]call UnitDamagePointLoc[/ljass] crashes Mac users, their WC3 just shuts down, regardless of damage, radius, etc...
Not true. All I know of the problem is that it allegedly desyncs in games with Mac and Windows users...maybe only when using a delay ("after X.XX seconds")? Maybe only on PowerPC Macs, not Intel Macs? I've never experienced it. (I am, of course, a Mac WC3 user.)

However, as noted in the thread hgkjfhfdsj linked, using a group gave better performance than Damage Area.

THE HERO IDEAS ARE COMPLETELY MADE BUT I LOSE MY TIME WITH THOSE BLIZZARD BUGS SUCH MEMORY LEAKS AND @#&^%$(*!@^&($*%!@#$^12359$&@:banghead:
This is the reality of making WC3 maps. :rolleyes:

mapguy

Reaction score
Not true. All I know of the problem is that it allegedly desyncs in games with Mac and Windows users...maybe only when using a delay ("after X.XX seconds")? Maybe only on PowerPC Macs, not Intel Macs? I've never experienced it. (I am, of course, a Mac WC3 user.)

However, as noted in the thread hgkjfhfdsj linked, using a group gave better performance than Damage Area.

This is the reality of making WC3 maps. :rolleyes:

hey weep.

so, this damage thing, is it false?
what you think I should do:

OPTION A = use damage area with trigger and no wait to deal damage, and then create the group.
OPTION B = use dummies with immolation or any AOE damage spell and then create the group.

Komaqtion

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
What group is it that you're creating ?!

Just pick all units in the area, and deal the damage to them !
What's the problem there ?! :eek:

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Actually, for simpler solution, just set the auto group destroying constant to true.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
hey weep.

so, this damage thing, is it false?
I don't know for sure, but I haven't seen a problem with it.

But, since there are better ways to damage units in an area, I find the function pointless, anyway.

what you think I should do:

OPTION A = use damage area with trigger and no wait to deal damage, and then create the group.
OPTION B = use dummies with immolation or any AOE damage spell and then create the group.
Neither. I'd just create a group from units within range or each dummy. This can be done leak-free with JASS using a global group and filter functions, or you can do it with GUI and not worry about creating tiny leaks. Just try to not do it more than necessary (eg. stopping periodic triggers when not needed).

Komaqtion

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
This "leak" hasn't been worked on until a couple of months ago, and there have still been MANY maps before it which (Probably) have had this leak in it and they've all worked fine ! :p

You shouldn't get so worked up about this one SMALL leak...

And there is still NO OTHER WAY of using groups in GUI without this leak (Custom Scripts not counted) so either learn JASS and code in it, or use GUI and learn to optimize the code so that this might be the only leak you'll ever have ;)

mapguy

Reaction score
thanks man...

this comment:
This "leak" hasn't been worked on until a couple of months ago, and there have still been MANY maps before it which (Probably) have had this leak in it and they've all worked fine
really calmed me down...:D

I were almost about to rage quiting my map...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.