WEU, yes or no?

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
200 kb is not much, unless you have 56k, like me. It takes an extra 50 seconds to download, even if you only have a few of the extra triggers enabled. Protect, I don't care about, since I just use the Map Optimizer to make it tiny, anyways. (Wow that is such a great tool). :D

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
ill probably stick with WE due to the fact that my trigger coding is a bit odd, and most the time bad so i see no point, unless of course they have the undead arthat with frostmourne, NOT riding the horse

xPheRe

Reaction score
My choice is WEU, because it shows all hidden units/doodads/models, add some actions/events/conditions and Advanced triggers yet existent JASS functions wrappers to GUI triggering. The king of all WEU features is "Advanced - JASS code". Only 2Kb needed to add this feature (I add it manually in all my maps as I need it)

C

crazedcougar

note that once you have the WEU installed, you can sill run the normal WE, so no worries if you dont like it. Also, switching a map to the WEU will only change that map.

I find weu extremely handy for things, and if i use the normal editor, start to notice its deficencies, like "play sound for player" or "hero skill learned" (the list goes on..)

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
the 200kb doesn't hurt too bad, and you only get that if you use the advanced triggers. (there are many other useful things)

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Siefer said:
Some people have suggested I get it, but how complicated is it?

not complicated at all, same as regular WE basicly, just get it mess around, if you dont like it, no biggie, unistall it.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
the only thing that weu can do that normal we cant is certain terrainign features. i stick with normal we because the arrangement of data values in weu is retarted and pisses me off.

R

Razthemapper

I see that a lot of people are positive about WEU , but it has a huge number of tiny bugs that don't really hurt , but that are annoying. For example: I made a small map with WEU , and when i wanted to add a unit for player 1 , instead of showing "Player 1" on the Unit Palette , it was showing "Just another Warcraft 3 Map"... I know that can't harm but it is annoying. It seems so good at the beggining because of the advanced features and 200kb is not much , but I simply not like it! I reccomend it for anyone because it is useful but i do not use it anymore....

C

crazedcougar

so instead of

player 1 - red
player 2 - blue
Neutral extra

on the unit pallet, it shows

just another warcraft iii map
player 2 - blue
Neutral extra

never happened to me..

Rad

Reaction score
AgentPaper said:
It only has that extra size (which isnt much, just 200kb) if you use advanced triggers, you can still use more tiles and map size and all that other good stuff without it. Plus it is a built-in protect, since if you try to open it with a non-WEU WE, it doesn't work.

A: The size gets very large if you choose any options with the optimizer (that comes with it).

B: Its hardly an optimizer it only does that if you use an advanced trigger, not to mention all the more newbish people use WEU, hmm arent those the people you dont want your map to get stolen by? Ex parasite, not sure if anyone has seen the stolen version (it wasnt very good because only first one wasnt protected and the new one came out) but the guy put his name in the loading screen, as a message at the start, and in the map author. Cant really remember what he changed though it was a long long time ago :rolleyes:

(BTW im back!)

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
wait, its easier to have maps copied with WEU, is it cuz u cant put the blockers on them to prevent people from getting on them, or what?

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
DON'T GET WEU IT SCREWS UP UR WORLD EDITOR...TRUST ME I HAVE GOTTEN IT AND I NOTCIED THAT IT CHANGED A LOT OF STUFF.....IT MAKES THE DEMONHUNTER ILLIDAN AND THE PALADIN ARTHAS....IF U DON"T BELIEVE ME CHECK MY POSTS ABOUT THE DEMONHUNTER...(PS. Srry about caps i'm just saving everyone that gets it..)

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
hero12341234 said:
DON'T GET WEU IT SCREWS UP UR WORLD EDITOR...TRUST ME I HAVE GOTTEN IT AND I NOTCIED THAT IT CHANGED A LOT OF STUFF.....IT MAKES THE DEMONHUNTER ILLIDAN AND THE PALADIN ARTHAS....IF U DON"T BELIEVE ME CHECK MY POSTS ABOUT THE DEMONHUNTER...(PS. Srry about caps i'm just saving everyone that gets it..)

First off:

The Rules said:
Do not shout your subject out (i.e. write it in capital letters) e.g. MY TRIGGER DOESNT WORK!

Second Off:

WEU doesn't change the editor. It adds on to it, and all original models can be found exactly where they were before.

The positives outweigh the negatives when it comes to WEU, because there's really nothing to lose when using it.

Rad

Reaction score
Im not so sure about that connan, maybe it sounds alot like a conspiracy but when I downloaded WEU it corrupted my MPQ, now I cant use the hay cart pathing, another pathing I forget which though, the footman appears only team colored (Even on melee maps)...

It fixed when I uninstalled WEU, and hero124027140710274 whatever just messeged me in PM saying he fixed it (And he just uninstalled it).

I know this thread is old, but I still say WEU isnt worth it, the download, the file size, the corrupting... It reorders everything. One thing I cant exactly see though, why do people use it at all? The enhancer can be used seperately :nuts:

the Lumpy

►►►
Reaction score
Look at post #18, Mike.

I don't use WEU, mainly because everything is possible without it, just harder. And I like the challenge of doing it myself. It does sound useful, but, for example, I don't think I would want to play a huge map. I think that the default 256 x 256 size limit is good.

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
Of course there will be bugs! There were, and are, still bugs at large in the original Warcraft World Editor code, a code created by professional, paid programmers. For amateur code-developers adding onto a program several years after its release, do you think it will mesh perfectly? No. But, after having used it, it is relatively bug-free - nothing major, or nothing you can't fix by reinstalling Warcraft III. ... So far, anyway.

The map size is irrelevant, as your map will become unplayable if you expand it much more than the original maximum size and add content there.

What is good is the 'No Limits' feature that gets rid of that annoying maximum limit for preplaced neutral units, doodads, and destructables.

The advanced triggers fix and simplify a few things. They are quite useful, but, as can be expected, are prone to bugs more than anything else.

The terrain triggers are occasionally useful, but not vital.

The map protection is ok, but won't stop serious maphackers.

As is always the case with installing unofficial add-on programs, you run the risk of corrupting your Warcraft game (or worse), so take that into consideration as well.

You might want to get WEU simply to open other WEU maps.

WEU is useful, but not necasary.

PS: What kind of noob takes the time to go onto the site, download and install it, and then use it to open another map? It depends on your definition of 'noob' but still ...

Rad

Reaction score
What is good is the 'No Limits' feature that gets rid of that annoying maximum limit for preplaced neutral units, doodads, and destructables.
The map protection is ok, but won't stop serious maphackers.

These are external options with the "World Editor Enhancer", they work with standard world editor.

The advanced triggers fix and simplify a few things. They are quite useful, but, as can be expected, are prone to bugs more than anything else.
Patch 1.20 fixed many grammactical errors, such as the tooltips of floating text, lightning, ubersplats. They also added replace unit function and "Distance/angle between points" as well as a few more.

You might want to get WEU simply to open other WEU maps.
And yet you just said they come with a protection tool... hmm. Also, you can open maps that use the advanced editor except the functions will be disabled (I think they made that possible in 1.20 because earlier you couldnt).

a code created by professional, paid programmers. For amateur code-developers adding onto a program several years after its release, do you think it will mesh perfectly? No. But, after having used it, it is relatively bug-free - nothing major, or nothing you can't fix by reinstalling Warcraft III. ... So far, anyway.
They hardly added anything useful, maybe if your really lazy and dont want to use a simple integer loop to make a circle of special effects (Seriously, you use point with polar offset, choose center point then radius is the distance, the angle should be the max integer A/B divided by 360 (360 / Integer A). This is not only better you can actually refer to each effect!)

PS: What kind of noob takes the time to go onto the site, download and install it, and then use it to open another map? It depends on your definition of 'noob' but still ...
The best maps are protected, simple maps are done in standard world editor. The first versions of parasite werent protected but were done in WEU so you couldnt open if you didnt have it. Welcome patch 1.20, now I can even load it... not that I want to :rolleyes:

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Rad said:
Patch 1.20 fixed many grammactical errors, such as the tooltips of floating text, lightning, ubersplats. They also added replace unit function and "Distance/angle between points" as well as a few more.

Patch 1.20 changed nothing in the worldeditor. It was 1.19 but it didnt add any of the functions you mention.
Hovever it fixed the buggs with all the Type's varables.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.