X-Tra World Editor

retupmoc258

Reaction score
Anybody know what happened to this editor? I am looking for it primarily because I wonder if it will truly make most features easier. I know some things like color, I can find ways to live without its "X-tra" features, but being able to break level limits (like Starcraft X-tra Editor) could be immensely useful to myself and anyone else who might use it. I have tried to find it, but basically I have found no website that still holds it, and the one that might has a broken link. So if anyone could give me any good advice on that matter, I would appreciate it.

retupmoc258

Reaction score
Well, I found World Editor Unlimited, and that's going to do everything I want, so I'll stick with that. I don't think I'll use anything from NewGen mostly because I don't want to get into detailed stuff like that and I don't need it for what I'm doing (at least not yet, I don't think I need them). Thanks though.

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
I (and everyone else that's into map making) would tell you to stay away from WEU and use NewGen instead. The one thing WEU is good at is corrupting your maps.

Silver

Reaction score
WEU is very outdated as it has been discontinued. If you use any of WEU's special triggers, your map will probably become unplayable. I would advise against using WEU, and instead check out the EGUI in the Member's Projects section of the site.

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
Or, if you have been using WEU for long, there's a 99% chance that it's too late for your map.

retupmoc258

Reaction score
No, I really haven't used WEU much yet. I can see the potential it has for corrupting (I backed up everything, knowing how mods and stuff work and their potential to destroy), so it is safe, and I looked into its features. It doesn't look too bad, but I will take your word for it, then.

Just one more question I have, then, related to this NewGen program. It has a NewGen Warcraft executable in it. Does that mean I can't run my maps with a regular version of Warcraft III, because if that's the case, what good would this program be to me since it's meant for anybody and everybody (even those who aren't map makers and have NewGen).

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Just one more question I have, then, related to this NewGen program. It has a NewGen Warcraft executable in it. Does that mean I can't run my maps with a regular version of Warcraft III, because if that's the case, what good would this program be to me since it's meant for anybody and everybody (even those who aren't map makers and have NewGen).

Yes, you can run maps created in NewGen with normal WC3.
Dota: Allstars, is a perfect example of such a map.

retupmoc258

Reaction score
Features of NewGen

So, there are a few things I noticed from WEU that I liked that aren't available in NewGen. I'm guessing what really makes the difference is that WEU has added JASS scripts that NewGen does not? Either way, I am curious to see if I can implement a few of those abilities or work around a few things that are bothering me.

Now, as far as getting a few things to work in my game, I was wondering if you knew of any way that I could set up these functions/triggers or to get the job done I'm wanting.

Currently I have my Strength determine my Health Points (The only way I could find that I could increase or decrease my max health since that's not available in WE but is in WEU and not NewGen [UMSWE]), and my Intelligence determine my Mana Points (Same thing I noticed between WE, WEU and NewGen), and then my Agility is used to determine my attack power (used as the primary ability and for nothing else).

So here's the thing I would like to do. I don't see a point in having my Hero's attributes measure things like Health, and MP if there's another way to do it. Seeing the Character's Health, and MP listed on his profile with his model pictures is more than enough for me. Then the same for defense and Attack, if there's an easy way to go about setting it (abilities, or whatever that is temporary and changeable, I don't care as long as it would work--I'd rather have upgrades determine these factors because then it looks like the hero comes with the damage value or with the defense value as opposed to it being bestowed upon him (the green plus)--like an upgrade, but the problem is that an upgrade is not downgradeable).

I'd rather have Damage, Defense, and Magic Power listed as my hero attributes (Damage being Strength, the damage base modifier--not too hard, Defense being Agility and directly coresponding to the Hardened Skin ability level, and Intelligence being Magic power, an internal trigger variable used for "channeled" spells). But unless I can find a way to edit the max life with an ability or trigger (or the max Mana) then I can't make it work. So, any suggestions or ideas on how to go about that? I have searched through loads of abilities, but don't really know what I'm looking for. WEU had triggers that could modify all of those easily. I am also looking for something to do the same with sight range, which I saw in WEU also. If not a function or a trigger, abilities will work, but all stat-modifying abilities need to be able to increase as well as decrease--So upgrades, unless they can ge downgraded, won't work.

Any tips? I know that's a lot, and probably confusing. But I'm here to clarify info/

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
EGUI answers all of the questions above. (Or most of them, ;P)

Click the projects link in my signature to find EGUI.

If you know how, you can also make extra custom GUI functions with it ;o

retupmoc258

Reaction score
That's nice, Sevion, but I'm not as good with programming. I took a look at it, and without going into much effort, couldn't understand what exactly it did, or what the features were. Your forum didn't illustrate the features of your EGUI. Sounds good in theory, but I don't know what the theory is.

As for what you posted Silver, I looked at it early on in my struggle, and I didn't want something quite like that. It seemed to pose the problem of over-using the trigger. By that, I mean I would constantly be giving items and taking them away. This is what I ended up doing.

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1096741&postcount=13

But while I'm on the subject, I was trying to integrate an item-equipment system. Aka can only equip one weapon unless they have a skill, or certain weapons unless they have this or that (class), one-handed, two-handed, and stuff like that. Pretty much the idea I had was to have separate array variables each keeping track of the weapons' features (what allows it to be equipped). I was wondering if there was a simple way, and if it is using special triggers and such, it would be helpful to know what they're doing because most likely I will want to tweak things a little, or have a full grasp of how I can use it to make what I want (this is only a small description of what I'm trying to do)).

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Starcraft X-tra Editor? God, I remember that...
I think I've still got it installed, along with ScmDraft2 and Starforge...

I know they already said this, but don't use WEU. It really does corrupt your map.
EGUI is very nice. I don't really use it very often, since I know some JASS, but it's definately something you'd want to look into.

retupmoc258

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a better explanation as to what EGUI do? Enhancing a Graphical User Interface. What one? It looks like a JASS trigger to modify the internal mechanics of a map--like I saw with someone else's JASS programming, except no one explains why this benefits me, or why it would be useful, or what it does. Not even the forum explains what it does, just says that it's a better use than GUI. GUI is a term, not a program (despite the fact that somone apparently made a program or JASS code called GUI???). Not to mention, looking into the projects code, it doesn't say how to install it or use it, which I'm only guessing on how to do that because I've seen someone make similar stuff.

Eyonix

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
EGUI takes triggers that are pretty much only doable in jass and makes them into GUI triggers. It also has a couple triggers in there to make stuff that normally takes like 6 lines in GUI only take 1 line. So basically it adds little stuff to make it quicker and easier to trigger in GUI.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Not to mention, looking into the projects code, it doesn't say how to install it or use it, which I'm only guessing on how to do that because I've seen someone make similar stuff.

Um. You're not supposed to look into the project code. You're supposed to read the "How To Install".

Not that anyone DOES read it. Which is why no one knows how to install it. Which is why everyone gets errors and crap.

It'd also be nice if you actually read the thread instead of the code.

Someone make similar stuff.

Orly? The only people I know of are:

PipeDream, Themis, TriggerHappy, and StealthOfKing.

retupmoc258

Reaction score
Ah, thank you. Well, I looked further into it, trying to analyze it, and didn't get anywhere with the Core, hardly anywhere with the other things, either, but when I looked at the extra features and recognized the one that taught me about textmacros or whatever they are, then I did know how to use them. So just put them in, save the map, load the map, and then turn them off to prevent duplication, right? This should help a lot, yeah. I hope. So, since I've already tried elsewhere, anyone know how to make Charge Gold and Lumber activate a trigger? Try as I might, it charges gold (or lumber) but it doesn't activate any triggers. It doesn't respond to any event I've tried: Channeling an ability, starts an ability, finishes an ability, starts effect of ability. None. I have it set for one condition (Ability being cast) = "Abil" and whenever I use that ability, it doesn't work

retupmoc258

Reaction score
So is that just a solution to see if it can respond to an event? Because if I can't identify what spell was cast, it won't matter if I can activate the trigger--I can't figure out what I'm using. I thought of an alternative idea, possibly, using what I think I don't understand about Base Order IDs. What if I set each Charge Gold and Lumber ability with a Base Order ID and have a channel ability with the same Base Order ID on the unit? Both should trigger if I use the Charge Gold and Lumber ability, it will charge gold, and also activate the channel ability which will activate the trigger. Sound like a good idea? Feasible? Obviously I would hide the Channel ability with a spellbook and disable that. Would it work? What do you think?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
The "no condition" debug is to see if the trigger even fires.

After that, if it fires, we can know it's something wrong with the condition.

If not, we know it's something in the event.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.