Battle.net - No Variety

A

Atreides

the fact that you control one unit in dota probably helps some...most people just find bigger maps too complex, especially if they havnt played it before-thus they get familiar with dota, and they never leave. If only more people were capable of playing the bigger maps...and mass hosting of a map is one method for boosting its popularity, but hacking aint the way to go...that might just grant it more sympathy as well as its just wrong to start hacking wars...

K

KeeperofKeys

Atreides said:
the fact that you control one unit in dota probably helps some...most people just find bigger maps too complex, especially if they havnt played it before-thus they get familiar with dota, and they never leave...
Interesting. I can definitely see the logic there. That would also explain the popularity of maps like arenas, and the Troll Tribe games. However, one would think that the constant verbal abuse would turn people away from the game before they got any good at it...

Atreides said:
If only more people were capable of playing the bigger maps...and mass hosting of a map is one method for boosting its popularity, but hacking aint the way to go...that might just grant it more sympathy as well as its just wrong to start hacking wars...
True true. Once you sink down to hacker level, it's almost impossible to stop. Its like starting an electronic blood feud.

I think someone in this thread mentioned a DOTA filter once upon a time, and I think that it would be a good thing to have, as long as it worked both ways. DOTA lovers could use it to find only DOTA, and DOTA haters could use it to find anything but DOTA. You may still want to sink the game itself, but I think that it is far too popular at this point to kill it. People could and would find or make DOTA substitutes or clones, and then go back to the old habits. Sad, but inevitable. Never underestimate the invisible hand, or the strength of a rut.

-Quote of the day: "To be great is to be misunderstood."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
i just got a good idea heheheh!!!! ok we all start bugging the crap out of dota.... it will spread and the fasterr the better! make a bunch of difrent kinds of bugs on difrent maps! spread it around!

then they will all become sick of the bugged dota! they will start hosting other maps!
(p.s that was all a joke. but it could succed if done. just putting it out there...)

edit: wooooo i just read up there!!! :eek: that was all a joke im not kidding! I dont want to be smitted but that is still my opinion.... :( and. i said it was a joke aswell. dato dosnt take over all of it. its that ...3 thing!!! its allways there! but i would like to see more

rez evil, footys vs grunts(there but not as popular),

M

MCV

There is an easy wayt to kill DotA...

1) Take the unproteded version.

2) Bug it with a bug that chrashes the game or something.

3) Save it with the filename of the newest version of DotA.

3) Host it with something like: NEW DOTA!!!! <version number + 1>!!!!!!

4) Now, when people download, they replace their own version of DotA with the corrupted one.

5) If this process is repeated many enough times, everybody will start complain about how DotA has become bugged, thus look for other alternatives. They will probably just go play another AoS, but DotA will be killed.

I don't know if it is right of me to suggest this, but DotA Allstars (the only one that is played right?) is a ripoff isn't it?

MCV

Z

Zero R.

PROBLEM: Everyone will go to getdota.com

Unless you could hack that site, you're screwed.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I must congratulate you folks.

This has to be the longest thread to go on talking about DOTA at all which hasn't turned into the Flame War of '06!

Woo, you people! Go you people, go! It's ya birthday!

That is all. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Lol, Conan. :p

Anyway, I was forced to switch to USEast, because there were even more DotAs on USWest. (And azn people hosting azn games... -.-)

So now, I rarely even play any game other people hosted, instead I host my own games, like Tropical Tag (WOOT!), my own maps, and a few other ones that I like.

I'm Darthfett on all of the servers, btw, so if you can' host, you can /w me, and I'll try to host the map for you. :)

K

KeeperofKeys

Darth, did you say that you are on USEast now? I might whisper you sometime, if I can't get my hosting working again... :banghead:

Getting back on topic, here is my advice to any non-DOTA players: take up Vampirism or an arena. Then you can often find games to play. Or better yet make it so that you can host. It's a lot of effort, but it's worth it.

-Quote of the day: "You can't kill me because I'm wearing magic arm-AUUGHH MY EYE!"
-A slightly modified quote from Interesting Times

H

Hitokiriilh

Know why you don't see more variety - just DOTA and hero arenas? First, tthe game is old - OLD - so it's a wonder it's still as popular as it is. Second, TDs, RPGs, etc etc have much less replay value than arenas and AOS styles. How is this? Every AOS and arena has the same, uber simple objective. What gives them replay value is versing other people - each game plays differently with different people. So it's no wonder that after a game has been around so long, the map genres that have the most replay value are the ones played the most.

Why just DOTA though? I don't know. It could be improved a lot, but the fact that it stresses the heroes (and not the creeps) gives it a personal feel, which is appealing. It'd be nice to not have such a focus on the items though. The number of heroes also offers diversity of play (replay value), which is important.

So, you guys want to see more diversity, huh? There's how many members on this forum? At least 50? That's enough. Get together and host some maps. Guess what, you don't have to rely on other people to host maps and you can schedule to play with more like-minded people to rely on to play maps that you host.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
Hitokiriilh said:
What gives them replay value is versing other people - each game plays differently with different people. So it's no wonder that after a game has been around so long, the map genres that have the most replay value are the ones played the most.

That's the thing about DotA. People play it the same way every time. The same heros, same item combinations. The reason why people like to play it is that they know how to play 2 heros, and then spam the invincible item combinations, and they feel good. If Blizzard gave rogues DotA combinations as armor, the world will end.

Why just DOTA though? I don't know. It could be improved a lot, but the fact that it stresses the heroes (and not the creeps) gives it a personal feel, which is appealing. It'd be nice to not have such a focus on the items though. The number of heroes also offers diversity of play (replay value), which is important.

The thing about DotA is that it does NOT focus primarily on heros. Monstly it focuses on the item combinations, and so the 12 yr olds you have enough spare time to play them will memorize the combinations, and spam them until someone kills the 12 yr olds or themselves.

So, you guys want to see more diversity, huh? There's how many members on this forum? At least 50? That's enough. Get together and host some maps. Guess what, you don't have to rely on other people to host maps and you can schedule to play with more like-minded people to rely on to play maps that you host.

I have an idea, we mass spamming Tree Tag wars, because its popular too! and its a bbeutiful game!

KeeperofKeys said:
Finally, ranting and raving against it may be a good way to blow off steam, but plotting to hack a site with malicious intent is NOT a good idea, even if you are just joking! What if someone hacks the DOTA site and you guys get blamed because of your "plotting"? Would you like to be on the wrong end of a lawsuit?

I doubt anyone would care except the 12 yr olds you worship DotA like Chuck Norris. :p First of all, they probably have backup copies of the site anyways, so they can restore it. Second, hacking a site of that popularity would make it almost impossible to track the hacker, as there would be so much traffic going through that site anyways. Third, the only way it could be a legal battle would probably be that Blizzard was involved in this as well, and decided that the B-net "war" is crashing their server or something, so it probably won't become illegal at all.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
yea, i was gunna say, you probably cant be busted that much for hacking such a cheap domain like getdota.com-its just a blank page with links to mirror dl sites.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
People should move back to Reign of Chaos, I play that because of DotA taking over TFT -.-.

RoC is still the same as some described it, tons of variety, it has mazes, tags, run kitty runs, more mazes, 5 or 6 dota games, aos games, TDs (lots of TDs, no where near as many DotAs on tft but still the most popular choice on RoC).

I always took DotA for something fun to do when I was bored with other games on BNet, now there's no choice (except on RoC).

~Jindo

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
Yeah. But I'm spoiled, and can't go back to the era when you couldn't make custom abilities, lest you edited the .mpq, and the lack of doodad health bars walked the Earth! :eek:

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
If there was a DOTA map making competiton it would possibly destroy Dota. The Dota hosts would be far too interested in hosting their own Dotas to even bother about Allstar Dota.

And in Northrend, Dota is slowly getting weaker. I can now log into Bnet and only see around 3 Dotas. But this time we are in need of more maps being made. Click for my map. Hopefully it will help turn Bnet back to a large variety place. Meanwhile, everyone to RoC Bnet! When I last checked there wasnt a Dota in sight! :)

Z

Zero R.

Jackal said:
...and everyone to RoC Bnet! When I last checked there wasnt a Dota in sight! :)

Cause DotA ends with .w3x. Of course RoC players can't play DotA.

O

Ophidian

I never could get into DotA. I don't necesarily think its a terrible game. What annoys me is the sheer numbers in which it is hosted. I've dabbled in map projects and even in a 6 slot game it takes an hour and a half to fill up (minor exaggeration) because people wont try anything new. I think we should sponsor an official "No Dota Hosting Day". One day of no DotA. Give other games a chance.

EDIT: if this doesnt work commence "Operation Bnet Freedom". Start the hacking and suicide bombing.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Zero R. said:
Cause DotA ends with .w3x. Of course RoC players can't play DotA.
Ever heard of Eul and his map that got stoled?

btw, im hearing great stuff bout northrend. I think im gunna make that ym perma-gateway to visit. East is ONLY OK if you want a tob once a month or so, asia has weird symbols displayed on the screen, west just plain sucks for anything but noob owning, so i guess im going northrend...forever.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.